• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

To belt or not to belt?

nogutsnoglory

I don't really like the belts as they are tight and psychologically it makes my "problem" larger as opposed to just keeping all the osto stuff to my right abdomen.

Do you use a belt and which one? Do you feel it prevents leaks by keeping the flange tight?

I am also concerned with prolonged belt use creating folds in my skin.

My ostomy nurse said I need the belt to prevent leaks and help my skin.

We almost went without using a belt, mainly because some of the prices seemed to be ridiculous compared to the benefits they claimed. However, we came across a belt by Nu Hope called the Nu Form Cool Comfort support belt, and won't spend a day without it. It's very flexible and breathable, yet gives the added security of keeping your flange in place throughout the day. (and night!) We love that we can wear it with the bag in a vertical position too, as we weren't thrilled with the idea of turning the bag on it's side.

You'll find a large range of prices for this item, some falling into that "ridiculous" range, but we found a place that sells them for under 50 bucks!

Here's a picture of it.

And here is one of the sites you can order it from.
http://www.greatmedicalsupplies.com/supply~nu-form-3-support-belt-2-14-opng-large-6302f.htm

I use either Hollister or Coloplast support belts - they are the small belts that clip to the sides of the flange, not the larger hernia support belts. I also have the Stealth Belt.

The small support belts are great for everyday wear and I feel much more secure with one on. Right now, I'm trying to solve a minor skin problem and I've been using Coloplast Brava protective films, which are 4x4 squares of a material that feels like thick skin. I then put my wafer over it - needless to say, I've had to reinforce the whole thing with pink tape because I don't feel the adhesive on these 4x4 films are very good and I don't want my first leak because of it. The best absolutely helps.

The Stealth Belt I usually wear is more for comfort and conceilment when I go out as it allows me to wear a belt on my pants and/or tuck in my shirt. It's expensive, but worth it if you have a permanent stoma. I wrote a review about the Stealth Belt on my blog.

PsychoJane

I wore a belt the first few months after my first surgery and grew tired of it. At the time I did not have the internet to search of various prototype of belt available so I had the basic white one that just keep the bag safer using the clips. I did not like the feel of it and as I used to wear kinda low waist pants it would not be quite helpful for me so I switched to using "tubes" instead. More like these stealth belt thing. I just end up doing mine or buying stuff that are not meant to be ostomy belt as it end up being cheaper (ok maybe not working as great either). I like the feel of having something that snug things in place but I don't really mind it either way. I don't see a different in the time my appliance last either.

I wore a belt the first few months after my first surgery and grew tired of it. At the time I did not have the internet to search of various prototype of belt available so I had the basic white one that just keep the bag safer using the clips. I did not like the feel of it and as I used to wear kinda low waist pants it would not be quite helpful for me so I switched to using "tubes" instead. More like these stealth belt thing. I just end up doing mine or buying stuff that are not meant to be ostomy belt as it end up being cheaper (ok maybe not working as great either). I like the feel of having something that snug things in place but I don't really mind it either way. I don't see a different in the time my appliance last either.
I've used (and still use) maternity wraps. They work great unless your pouch gets heavy as it fills, and you're right - they are quite inexpensive.

nogutsnoglory

Are you using the belly bands while the pouch is on vertically or horizontally? I don't have a maternity one but I got a waist slimmer xl so it can expand with my pouch. I'm skinny but somehow my hips jet out and I need larger sizes.

Are you using the belly bands while the pouch is on vertically or horizontally? I don't have a maternity one but I got a waist slimmer xl so it can expand with my pouch. I'm skinny but somehow my hips jet out and I need larger sizes.
Horizontally. The maternity bands are great when you want something quick to support and cover you up - like for intimacy.

The style I wear is like this one:

http://www.bynature.ca/media/catalo...94a9c230972d/b/e/bellaband-maternity-band.jpg

Looking at some other maternity bands, it seems they come in all kinds of shapes and styles, from velcro to full frontal support... I kept it simple and got the "one size fits all" from my local Walmart :) :ylol:

EDIT: I should add that I fold the wrap over, so it's not riding up on my chest - it only covers my mid-section where the pouch is.

PsychoJane

Yep! I never thought of using the maternity wrap! New thing to consider!
I use my wrap/band with my pouch vertical or horizontal but mostly vertical actually. I use midi/mini bag from coloplast. These are quite small and therefore the side does not make much of a difference.

annawato

Staff member
i use the coloplast thin white belt that clips on to the sides of the bag. Since I started using it I haven't had nearly as many leaks - not sure whether its the belt or a few other things that changed at the same time but while its all working I'm not going to change it. Before that I used a thin white belt that had velcro but for some reason it did not help - I think the clip on bit maybe helps make the stoma protrude more (??????)
To help hide the bag under certain clothing I use a wide belt from comfizz which is very comfortable. They are available from comfizz.com
I think a maternity belt would do the job just as well and may be cheaper but the stoma nurse ordered one of these for me when I had my first stoma and I like it so much I bought another couple for this one.
They also do belts etc for when you have a hernia if you need one.