• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone heard about Wim Hoff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaMjhwFE1Zw&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

Also known as the Iceman. He's learned to use breathing techniques, ones like the tummo meditation, to influence his autonomic nervous system to influence his immune system and adrenaline levels.

It's been proven in the lab, and he can teach others to do it too.

I've read about people saying they treated or 'cured' their Crohn's with meditation and I thought it was bullcrap, but now I'm not so sure. This is tangible evidence of the ability to influence the immune system via breathing techniques.

I'm definitely going to start this. There's literally nothing to lose.

You'll see the breathing technique as he teaches one of the reporters in the first 10 minutes, the other part is exposure to cold (cold showers work) and consistency.

He was actually able to prevent his body from responding to an endotoxin injection in a lab setting, and so were 12 people he taught.

Hey InstantCoffee,

I've heard of Wim Hoff. I havent tried his methods yet but it's most definitely interesting.

Have you found any results after doing any of his methods?

then it occured to me that our body may actually be designed to run on higher amounts of oxygen, and climate change may be reducing our oxygen levels since the industrial revolution, and found this. It could actually be playing a role in the cancer epidemic.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2008/aug/13/carbonemissions.climatechange

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/could-oxygen-make-cancer-therapy-work-better-n317446

oh then there this!! https://www.sciencenews.org/article/more-oxygen-may-lead-more-tumors
so whats the truth ?? i have no idea.

Last edited:
great find leaf crazy! you are my new best friend on this forum! I have been trying to find an explanation as to why us humans seem to feel it necessary to vaccinate the hell out of our children to protect from disease, i first suspected the lead from burning fossil fuels messing with immune system functioning and there is some evidence of that. All animals over the world are contaminated with lead, not much we can do about now, but until now I hadn't considered the reduction in oxygen levels by displacement by carbon dioxide to also play a role in human health and disease, this is a real possibility. Malnutrition is really that big of an issue these days when it comes to infectious disease, so I'm wondering now why do feel it "normal" to vaccinate? it just seem so unnatural and unnecessary.

great find leaf crazy! you are my new best friend on this forum! I have been trying to find an explanation as to why us humans seem to feel it necessary to vaccinate the hell out of our children to protect from disease, i first suspected the lead from burning fossil fuels messing with immune system functioning and there is some evidence of that. All animals over the world are contaminated with lead, not much we can do about now, but until now I hadn't considered the reduction in oxygen levels by displacement by carbon dioxide to also play a role in human health and disease, this is a real possibility. Malnutrition is really that big of an issue these days when it comes to infectious disease, so I'm wondering now why do feel it "normal" to vaccinate? it just seem so unnatural and unnecessary.
I use to think Vaccinations were "unnatural and unnecessary" too..but I mean if you look back on history they were very beneficial to a lot of diseases. However; we might be making a trade off.

Maybe you have a better argument against them than me!

I use to think Vaccinations were "unnatural and unnecessary" too..but I mean if you look back on history they were very beneficial to a lot of diseases. However; we might be making a trade off.

Maybe you have a better argument against them than me!
yes i agree vaccinations work most of the time and proven scientifically, and that we probably need them NOW that we messed something up and our immune systems are weakened. But i just don't think god intended this to be so, imagine all the technology just to create a hypodermic needle, or even the philosophical foundations of science and the nature of disease that go into our current understanding of the human body to get to the idea of vaccinations. I just think 300 years ago before the industrial revolution if we lived in pristine environments with good nutrition, we would be fine. now burning fossil fuels have changed these conditions, and disease is more common rather then rare.

yes i agree vaccinations work most of the time and proven scientifically, and that we probably need them NOW that we messed something up and our immune systems are weakened. But i just don't think god intended this to be so, imagine all the technology just to create a hypodermic needle, or even the philosophical foundations of science and the nature of disease that go into our current understanding of the human body to get to the idea of vaccinations. I just think 300 years ago before the industrial revolution if we lived in pristine environments with good nutrition, we would be fine. now burning fossil fuels have changed these conditions, and disease is more common rather then rare.
IIRC when pristine environments existed life expectancy was about 40... now its doubled to about 80. Modern medicine including vaccines have been beneficial.

Do I think all vaccines are needed? No.
Do I think the pharma industry is a business? Yes.
Do I think there are alternative treatments that work? Yes.
Do I think there are alternative treatments that are viable for serious diseases? I dont know. When I was first diagnosed I wanted to go the alt med route, but the more complications I have the more I'm giving up on it.

IIRC when pristine environments existed life expectancy was about 40... now its doubled to about 80. Modern medicine including vaccines have been beneficial.

Do I think there are alternative treatments that are viable for serious diseases? I dont know. When I was first diagnosed I wanted to go the alt med route, but the more complications I have the more I'm giving up on it.
benjamin franklin lived to 84 years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin

Just so you know what was possible back then without modern medicine and vaccinations. Now you can expect to live a few years longer "on average" BUT you probably have chronic diseases like diabetes or dementia. Things are just different not profoundly better.

Here is another way to put it, Vaccinations are enabling less people to die from infectious disease, that's great. But more rates of cancer and chronic diseases like autoimmune disease and even mental illness have been rising and aren't stopping. What modern medicine is doing about this is just helping people live longer with really fucked up diseases because of a better understanding and more sophisticated medicines and treatments, that's good but that's really it. Modern medicine does absolutely nothing to try and prevent disease, they simply diagnose and treat disease after it already occurs. The ben franklin example shows people lived very long lives without the help of any modern medicine, it just didn't seem necessary until we started messing things up. now antibiotics are believed to be linked to development of chronic diseases, the medicine itself has messed people up.

Here is another way to put it, Vaccinations are enabling less people to die from infectious disease, that's great. But more rates of cancer and chronic diseases like autoimmune disease and even mental illness have been rising and aren't stopping. What modern medicine is doing about this is just helping people live longer with really fucked up diseases because of a better understanding and more sophisticated medicines and treatments, that's good but that's really it. Modern medicine does absolutely nothing to try and prevent disease, they simply diagnose and treat disease after it already occurs. The ben franklin example shows people lived very long lives without the help of any modern medicine, it just didn't seem necessary until we started messing things up. now antibiotics are believed to be linked to development of chronic diseases, the medicine itself has messed people up.
I agree and disagree. I agree that we should practice prevention (which a lot of vaccine's actually are meant to do) but I disagree people live as long. Using one person as an example doesn't explain the average life expectancy.

I agree and disagree. I agree that we should practice prevention (which a lot of vaccine's actually are meant to do) but I disagree people live as long. Using one person as an example doesn't explain the average life expectancy.
maybe I could have said it better, modern medicine does (very little) to prevent or cure chronic diseases. Vaccines prevent infectious disease though. The information we have now though from scientists has given very good clues. So I guess in my opinion this is what medicine should be about, keeping people healthy from day one. To the point where the rates of disease are declining and not continually climbing year after year, I suppose that only applies to chronic disease again, but somewhat also to infectious disease, I know pretty much no one dies from polio anymore that's for sure.

I heard about it some time ago. I restrained criticism because my thoughts were that it was simply an explanation lost in translation to english when he claimed "control" over the immune system.

It's not really control in the neat definition of the word. A bodybuilder doesn't control muscle growth, they merely eat copious amounts of food and lift heavy weights repetitively. The body responds to this and builds muscle. If a bodybuilder could "control" muscle growth, he/she would be able to consciously lift weights and choose NOT to build muscle, which is ridiculous.

I read the paper on his programme and was impressed, I just don't like his "explanations" which, as I said, I'm hoping is a case of "lost in translation". He is not a new thing, there are plenty of papers out there showing the benefits of cold therapy and the immune system/health in general. It's more likely to be conditioning, not control.

I rarely take hot showers, and got into cold showers some time ago. I find them refreshing and I actually look forward to the shock - whether they are having any effect on my crohn's symptoms or disease in general I'm not sure.

I heard about it some time ago. I restrained criticism because my thoughts were that it was simply an explanation lost in translation to english when he claimed "control" over the immune system.

It's not really control in the neat definition of the word. A bodybuilder doesn't control muscle growth, they merely eat copious amounts of food and lift heavy weights repetitively. The body responds to this and builds muscle. If a bodybuilder could "control" muscle growth, he/she would be able to consciously lift weights and choose NOT to build muscle, which is ridiculous.

I read the paper on his programme and was impressed, I just don't like his "explanations" which, as I said, I'm hoping is a case of "lost in translation". He is not a new thing, there are plenty of papers out there showing the benefits of cold therapy and the immune system/health in general. It's more likely to be conditioning, not control.

I rarely take hot showers, and got into cold showers some time ago. I find them refreshing and I actually look forward to the shock - whether they are having any effect on my crohn's symptoms or disease in general I'm not sure.
No, it's fairly apparent that he doesn't truly understand what he's doing on a scientific level. His explanation is incorrect.

He claims he's saturating his blood with oxygen, but the blood is already at a high levels of oxygen saturation, it's more likely he's saturating it with CO2.

No, it's fairly apparent that he doesn't truly understand what he's doing on a scientific level. His explanation is incorrect.

He claims he's saturating his blood with oxygen, but the blood is already at a high levels of oxygen saturation, it's more likely he's saturating it with CO2.
Decrease in blood CO2. Forced hyperventilating/deep breathing increases alveolar ventilation, reducing CO2.