• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What Career/Job Do You Have?

I was a certified Orthodontic Assistant. I absolutely loved my job and had been given lots of support through a resection in 2010 and another flare that started in 2011. But now I am in another flare and it looks like I will be having another surgery, my boss let me know that I was no longer working out for them a week and a half after telling me that everything would be fine and that he understood. He is now suggesting to me that I file for disability...I am going to wait until this latest issue is under control and then decide what my next chapter will be. Maybe I will go back to school.

I'm a social worker. I contract myself 2 days/week into a residential facility and facilitate inter-disciplinary team conferences and provide counseling/therapy to residents and staff.
3 days or more a week I work in group homes.
I really wish I could quit my group home job tho. Finding working 5 days/week (this last week being my first week back from medical leave) rough. Almost like its too much for my body to handle. So bizarre to me

I'm an aircraft Mechanic/Inspector/CRS signatory. I'm also a Deputy Station officer with HM Coastguard. I also volunteer with a Technical Line Rescue Unit (just for fun!) In my day job they're reasonably understanding with doctor and hospital appointments, but not so much so with the joint pain and chronic fatigue, I sometimes think that because they can't see blood, bruises or scars then there must not be anything wrong with me. Both the Coastguard and the line rescue team are great though, they are way more understanding and have always got my back, probably because there are no profits or money involved, unlike my day job! Oh well, such is life! Onwards and upwards!!

I am a recent college grad, but throughout all my classes, internships, and jobs I've had, as long as you work hard, are open and honest about your disease and everything, I have not had one problem getting or keeping a job. People may surprise you in how understanding and compassionate they are.

im a freshman this year and so i decided to go into Business because that way i can really do just about anything..and go any direction..and best case scenario i can hopefully be my own boss one day

I currently on Ssdi since I have several problems. My bowel, bladde, brain, heart, limbs, and other systems are all out of control. I use to be a 911 dispatcher and I miss it everyday. Oh how I wish I could work again.

My GI wont let me work. Stress is my number one cause for flare-ups, so he put me on the disabled list. I do have a mobile dj business and a computer repair biz to bring in some extra bread, and keep me busy.

I'm an over the road truck driver, though I've been in management in the industry also. Right now I'm sitting home, thinking about finding another office job. Sudden bathroom urges and the highway don't always work together, if ya know what I mean.

When I was in university, I worked as a barista in a local coffee shop. Absolutely love that job, and it truly sparked a lifelong interest in coffee, which I'd love to work with again in the future.

Currently, I work as a business/data analyst in the service sales division of a large tech company which flogs routers and switches. I've worked for the company for the past 6.5 years, and have had one very major flare-up last year which left me in hospital for three months. My employer and co-workers have been brilliant and understanding of my disease, and I have the flexibility to work anywhere in the world (which is how I ended up in Britain). I work from home (and in my pyjamas) three to five days a week, and only go to the office for the rare in-person meeting (my company has too much teleconferencing technology for its own good), or to catch-up with colleagues. I'm not all that stoked about my current job, but I do like the corporate culture and adore all the friends I've made since I've worked here.

And to anyone interested in working in tech, no, you don't have to have a degree in computer science or engineering. I have a degree in Latin American studies and work on the business side of the company (sales and business development). When the economy isn't tanking, there generally are lots of great opportunities.

I am a merchandise analyst for a leading sporting goods company. It is a desk job and minimal traveling which is good. My manager/co-workers are super supportive which I know is really important. It is hard for me to make it through the work day sometimes but I haven't missed too much work yet so it hasn't been a problem. Hopefully it stays that way!

Use to be a Promotions Manager for dual radio stations (two FM stations), until I had to give it up for Crohns :)

Now on the Disability Pension and looking for part-time work close it home and a toilet - it ain't that easy!

In the meantime (last three years) I have been lucky enough to work at two major motor sporting events as either the Event Control Room Supervisor or the Engineering Operations Centre Supervisor. It is only for a week at a time and is totally out there, long hours and not a minute to spare (lucky I get radio headphones to use so I can go to the room with no windows and can still talk on the radio....toilet paper is not good to write on though....) but the downside is that I end up spending three weeks in bed recovering.

I know I shouldn't push myself this hard twice a year, but it makes me feel alive and in honesty, I would probably go insane if I couldn't work some type of event - just call me glutton for punishment!

I'm an Internal Auditor. I resigned 2 years ago and do consulting from home. If I was still with my old employer, I would be fired, no doubt. I took a leave of absence 2 years ago for medical reasons- stress. They replaced my position and I heard they were going to put me in a new one. I resigned and did get unemployment. This was a hospital mind you and I had perfect reviews! Their loss!

I work in auto insurance, within the claims department. It's a desk job, and because of the team I am on, I am pretty secluded in the building... means much more privacy in the washrooms!
Currently trying to work with them for all my appointments this year so far... as they don't want to give me any more "doctor" time... Will see how that goes.

I "did" have the best job in the world, as a professional body piercer.I love it.However, with this most recent flare, I ended up getting fired for being sick. :( I can only pray God has something much bigger and better in store for our family.My husband is a tattoo artist, that ended up quitting after our boss fired me.He is mad and so am I.
Hopefully, like I said this is just the beginning of something much better.We are hoping to open our own shop again like we had in Detroit.The economy tanked so we had to close and moved to Sioux Falls here where the economy is much better.When the economy is bad, obviously tattoos and piercings aren't neccessities so we are the first to experience the term of "starving artist".We are pretty starving right now, but we will get through it as we always do and come out stronger in the end. :)

Going back a few pages, it seems I am not alone as far as getting fired for having crohns.It's definately not fair, and so few people understand.I use to tell my husband I wish I could just hand out info packets on CD and hope everyone I work with reads it.
My condolences to all those who lost their job due to this disease.
I am currently applying for disability at the ripe ol' age of 31.It was hard for me to come to terms that I am unable to work.My arthritis in my hands is getting so bad, I can't even open a lid anymore.I get so frustrated.Especially when I have to ask my boys something so simple to everyone else like open a pop for me. :(

I have a desk job right now and it's wonderful. I don't have to do much walking around and I know exactly where the bathroom is. My employees are all so wonderful and they know if I'm away from my desk I must be in the bathroom. Also if I need to leave early for a doctor's appointment, they never give me a hard time about it.

I'm actually a full time college student and my majoring is nursing. I ended up changing it from Business after I got diagnosed with Crohn's. After the long visits to the doctor's offices and hospitals, I realized I had a heart for sick people. Being sick myself, I want to let people know that there's people out there who care and want to help them feel better.

Crazy how things change so fast!

I was an academic. I loved and still love the research, but sessional teaching was killing me, and being on Remicade put the kaibosh on doing a postdoc in another country (there were and are no positions in Canada in my field).

I worked for 4 years in the medical device industry, but was then laid off when the company downsized.

Now I'm working part-time on contract as a translator of academic articles (French to English) and as a Ph D dissertation and ESL coach/tutor/editor. I also did a lot of volunteering for environmental causes this summer when my health permitted.

I'm still figuring out what to do next; I love the type of work I'm doing, but the pay is irregular and there are no benefits.

I am a Recruitment Consultant. It is a highly targeted and stressful role which involves spending a lot of time out of the office. I have to attend client meetings, interview candidates, complete sales calls, arrange interviews, secure new business, account management and complete my own administration. Oh achieve sales targets. I was only diagnosed a few months ago and I have been off work for 4 weeks now because stress is a major trigger. I'm having a flare up at the moment and I might be getting surgery in a few weeks so I now need to take some time to decide if I can peruse this career at the jeopardy of my health. I never thought I'd be in the position where I have to consider giving up a job I love because I'm not physically capable of being successful at it.

Hi :) I am a fresher (mature) student reading history and archaeology, which the intention of finding a career in heritage.. records office/scientific archaeologic or something like that...

Before i got ill I was a nursery nurse working with children ages 4-10 at a private care centre.. I had to stop firstly because nobody will hire a worker who has to abandon children to run to the toilet at no notice and secondly because once my meds started I caught every bug going with the immunity killed off so spent too much time off sick. Not a good job for CD

I will have undertaken 5 years of retraining by the time i graduate but I tried staying home and it lasted a very short time because I was bored to tears within a week of my daughters starting school!

Hi
I am a qualified radiography. Did four years at university, was diagnosed in my final year and manages to pass. Radiography was good to me. Worked in hospitals in Australia and the UK and when I came home took some chief jobs in outback Australia. Managed to keep working after my twins were born( 3 days a week + on call) but after Rohan I stopped. It was then that I started on remicade and was told working with sick people in a hospital was not a good idea.
I then started working as a lecturer in a literacy and numeracy program and got qualifications along the way. I had an anaphylactic reaction to remicade was changed to humira and in the last 2 months have not been to work due to illness, operations and the acquisition of a permanent stoma. I am not planning on returning until next year as I am having a few healing issues and just need some time to adjust. Am worried as I do a lot of travelling and don't know how I am going to handle it now.

I'm a wedding cake maker. I work for myself, which in many ways is brilliant, but also a pain in the arse (mind the pun -_-) at other times. No one else I can shove a wedding cake to a week before the wedding if I'm having a big flare up. However, I work from a studio in my parent's back garden, so I am near to toilets and if need be, bed. Just tough to run my own business cos it all relies on me!

I am currently majoring in Electrical Engineering at college and I am a sophomore so fingers crossed that I am able to keep it up and graduate. I am not going to lie or sugar coat the fact that it is downright difficult. There are plenty of times this year and last year where I miss exams, classes, and labs because I am out sick with some Crohn's related thing but truthfully this is what I have always wanted to do. I have a two things of advice for you, if you are looking to go into college you should immediately contact your Health Services, a simple letter from your doctor can make a big difference in how things are handled if you are unable to attend classes or exams due to your illness. Usually they are really willing to work with you to make things as easy as possible. And the second thing that I think you should consider is that you need to do something you love. Even if it is going to take you extra time to do it because of the Crohn's, you don't want your disease to control you. :)

I was a Receptionist for an Energy Company until they closed their doors. I tried a few other positions, but I was in the midst of what I believe was a flare (undiagnosed so far, so I cant quite claim it yet), and they ended up letting me go.... kindly of course.
Since then, I've been at home cleaning up after my sweetie, which I've learned is also a full time job hehehe.
I have a few different dreams though...
I would LOVE to work as a Real Estate Investor. I would also like to own a fashion boutique on the side as a means for steady income. :)

I am a dentist. I have been qualified for two years and every day is a struggle. I love my job but think my career will be short lived.

I'm a clinical hypnotherapist and also a business consultant. I don't do as much of the consultancy as I used to. But I have my hypnotherapy practice 5 minutes from home so all works out well.

I am a Heavy Vehicle Mechanic, I left school at 16, got a brilliant apprenticeship which I am now in my fourth year! I absolutely love it

However, since being diagnosed recently I've had a lot of time off work and been told to do no heavy lifting or straining by my doctor, which doesn't really work in my trade :/ so I am a bit worried I might not have a job at the end of my training and all I have behind me is school and mechanical qualifications... I suppose I've just got to wait and see

I work at swiss chalet 2 months in :) after resigning from my old job at jackastors because they threatned my job because I had to go to the hospital 4 times in the span of a year they said they didn't know if I was reliable even tho I worked 6 days a week solidly even picking up other shifts ... The same day I resigned I was addmitted to the ER & in there for 6 days all because of that stupid job ... So don't let anyone threaten you with that !!! Its illegal & while I was in the hospital they told me to sue I'd win this new job no stress no pain new medication everythings great your feelings have a lot to do with you well being !

I am a Heavy Vehicle Mechanic, I left school at 16, got a brilliant apprenticeship which I am now in my fourth year! I absolutely love it

However, since being diagnosed recently I've had a lot of time off work and been told to do no heavy lifting or straining by my doctor, which doesn't really work in my trade :/ so I am a bit worried I might not have a job at the end of my training and all I have behind me is school and mechanical qualifications... I suppose I've just got to wait and see
Why don't you just go into regular mechanics they have lifts and jacks for things I don't know forsure what they do on a daily basis but I wouldn't see it as heavy lifting

Why don't you just go into regular mechanics they have lifts and jacks for things I don't know forsure what they do on a daily basis but I wouldn't see it as heavy lifting
I was a light vehicle mechanic for over a decade( Vauxhall), and to be honest its not really that much lighter, it can be a struggle and generally tends to be more fast paced and more stressful (due to the high number of ignorant or impatient customers!) and it would be unlikely you'd be able to change at this late stage in your training, light vehicle mechanics is a whole different ball game, a totally different apprenticeship. Size doesn't matter though, I left to be an aircraft engineer, and for sheer size Airbus trumps Scania any day! My point being, the secret is figuring out ways to do the job whilst still taking care of yourself, once you have that figured you should be fine. I've been back at work after a hemicolectomy for 2 years and reckon I've pretty much got it sussed how to deal with the heavy stuff, anything I can't manage all I have to do is ask some of the others in my team, they're always more than happy to help, after a bit of "weakling" ribbing of course!

Currently I'm not working and I have not yet found a job that will work around my situation. :/ It is rather depressing just sitting around the house all day with nothing to do. It doesn't help that my GF and I are financially stressed. I get SSI which pays for rent internet and electricity, and she works part time while going to school. She works just to pay off her student loans and put gas in the car. and apparently we needed smartphones according to her so $160 for phones 2yr contract, instead of $40 a month for trac phones no contract... hmm i would have thought that was a no brainer.. Just GRR damn it!!! I need to work to help out, I'm trying to work with Vocational Rehab for job placement but with my current complications with my colostomy I'm looking at another possible surgery. FML

I'm an IT Administrator/Manager. I sit behind a computer all day. I'm the only female in the office, and the ladies room is just outside my office (which I have all to myself)...so I am very fortunate. I can work from home on the really bad days by remoting in.

Nicole

Currently Unemployed was a porter killing myself during college preping new cars and used and shifting the new car lot meaning moving the cars around to make the lot look new. I had to ditch college in Senior year no money had to spend stuff on natural stuff. I am thinking about just driving around on my motorcycle and seeing where it leads me in a few months. Still 24 and living with parents and have money saved up.

I'm an RN who works in a ER dept and I absolutely love my job. You can never get bored. Having crohn's makes it really hard but I woud never change it. I just learn to work around it. Like working nights more often, even though it makes it harder for a routine, its not as busy and makes it easier for bathroom breaks. I can't realy tell people sry your heart attack is gonna have to wait a couple minutes cause I have to have a washroom break. I also dont eat before going in and tend to eat after it slows down. I use the WR before a big case comes in ( if we get the heads up).
Like I said I would never change careers because of crohn's, you just have to find ways to work around it.

I'm also a Lawyer (government/environment/transport law) like many others here it seems! From this I can only conclude that it is the legal profession which causes IBD! hehe

I work for State Farm pays well and I am so very very fortunate its a desk job with a a bathroom close by, not to mention I have a very understanding boss as he has Lyme Disease. I have a degree in Computer Science but due to my many bathroom trips needed a small office type atmosphere have been with SF for 7 yrs now.

I am a Certified Professional Coder, with a sub- speciality as Certified General surgery coder. I work for a large health care company as an Internal Coding Consultant. I work on a computer and audit charts and teach physicians and staff documentation guidelines for correct coding of their servives.:thumright:

Assistant Principal. Love my job, although stress can be high. Very understanding boss at the moment knows I'm not always on time because, well, you know!

I work as a Senior Network Engineer for a major telecommunications company. Its pays well, has good benefits, and has 0 stress.

i am a trainne lawyer. The firm i work for a re really good and understand. I think it is finding something that works for you. Peopl ewill accomadate you, they have to its the law.

I was a Pipefitter in a shipyard. Although i worked on the tools for a couple of years after my diagnosis, i couldnt keep it up. My work got me a job in the Maintenance/Facilities and is all desk and computer work now. Also kept me on my same salary... Well Happy!

i know how u feel x

I was a Pipefitter in a shipyard. Although i worked on the tools for a couple of years after my diagnosis, i couldnt keep it up. My work got me a job in the Maintenance/Facilities and is all desk and computer work now. Also kept me on my same salary... Well Happy!
if only every company was as understanding x

I am a Reactor Operator. I am currently in school right now to learn the new technology for the new reactors coming to our site. I normally worked shift work but now Mon- Thurs. Before this I was a chemical operator at a local plant. I just learned to balance what and when I eat around my schedule. Right now I am having difficulty eating anything. It has pretty much became chore to eat. The company I work for is great. I have wonderful management.

From my hubby's experience, I have to agree that a desk job is often much more flexible. He used to be a driver, but the uncertainty of being on the road did not work well with his condition. He's been much happier working in the hospital lab where he can easily step out for a moment if he needs to. The stress and second shift hours still aren't perfect, though.

Does anyone else have extra trouble working unusual hours that affect sleep/meal times?

see because i can go to the toilet anytime i want. i find myself never needing to go, ive been in the office about 3 years and probably only used it about 5 times... unless im doing a pee.

its worked perfect and im much less stressed,

stress and anxiety plays havoc with my condition.

I as Media Sales Coordinator/Administrator working for a local Newspaper. I was made redundant in March this year at the same time as diagnosis. I have just started a new job as a Sales Administrator for a metal stockist, so far they have been understanding, they don't pay any ssp for the first 6 months tho, so not sure how I will cope with that as this last week I have started flaring again

I work as an Information Technologist and general paper pusher at a large hardware store. I have a pretty considerate boss that tolerates my trips to the bathroom. I think the fistuals damaged my bladder as that is my biggest issue after my surgery.

I'm so far a Ph.D student in a group working on inflammation.

So I've got aware and comprehensive colleagues, Pi, Group leader, and that's quite a relief. However, that's a job with quite some stress and I still need to get to know how to deal better with it.

Ah yes, I'm working everyday in a language (english) that is nt my mther tongue (french !).

ron50

Started work at 13 as an industrial and domestic sewing machine mechanic. Had a ten year break working in aust Dept of Defence computing services division,rolling shift work. Back to sewing machines. Still at it at 62.
IBS from a young age
Stage 111c colon ca 1998
year of chemotherapy
acute pancreatitis
Gall bladder gone
Psoriatic arthritis
Neuropathy
unknown auto-immune kidney problems moderate protein urea
Type two diabetes(18 mos 75mg a day prednisone the cause)
pulmonary oedeema and congestive heart failure.
kidney stones.
Medications ,as few as possible,I've had enough!

For 14 years I was working in information technology until 2003 when I've diagnosed with Crohn's. Last January and I was Leque for my job due to Crohn's problems they call it attendants. Up until that point they were very supportive of me and allow to go to the bathroom quake frequently without asking too many questions. What will lead me to my separation was a lot of office politics. I miss information technology and helping others And working on servers and VPNs and whatnot. Long story short from what I learned from information technology is the stress level with Crohn's disease might not be a good mix. It depends on one's individualize mental health and physical health. Right now I work for the medical surgical company at a very low wage with very very bad pre-existing clause insurance coverage. But all it works out because of all financial aid that I get from hospitals and doctors is based on my income being minimum-wage. I hate being a taker from the system and relying on others like to be a productive member of society just like other people and pay my own way, but as anybody knows Crohn's is very unpredictable and does not always allow for that. I now live with a parent who also has the same disease is very supportive but has her limits. It's very stressful times but I try to make do just like everybody else.

I'm a medical biller. I just recently had to tell my boss about my illness since it's starting to flare up. What sucks even more is that they don't offer FMLA since our company is short about 3 employees to be eligible. I hope that since I explained what UC was that she will understand why I may be out. But it is scary considering having to leave my job because of this stupid disease..

I work in IT. Hard to describe my job but just say I am a Web Researcher.

I work 5 days a week, 5 hours a day and I have a one year old baby (plus other kids) so I am finding my schedule too difficult to deal with. My boss is somewhat understanding but starting to get a bit fed up.

I see some of you are on disability support. I have applied, but am worried what that will do to my self image. Not sure I want to get paid for being sick.

I work in IT. Hard to describe my job but just say I am a Web Researcher.

I work 5 days a week, 5 hours a day and I have a one year old baby (plus other kids) so I am finding my schedule too difficult to deal with. My boss is somewhat understanding but starting to get a bit fed up.

I see some of you are on disability support. I have applied, but am worried what that will do to my self image. Not sure I want to get paid for being sick.
Let me tell you from experience from another I.T. Professional. I worked in a stressful enviroment with lots of responsability. Crohns as we all know doesn't mix well with stress. You'll have to gauge your work related stress levels and see what you can do to lower it even if it means disability. I wish I can apply for ssi ( long screwed up story). I only responded to this because of my knowledge of it and the stress that comes with it.

I use to be on a helpdesk level III, and in the data center. So yeah that's partially why I got so sick. Hope this helps, it's not your fault you got a chronic autoimmune disease is it? Then utilize the aid that will be there such as ssi/ssd.

Yes, Scaryman. IT is very stressful. We have quotas to fill and the job is INTENSE -as you know. Thankfully I work with really amazing people and we have a lot of fun otherwise I would NOT be there.

Thanks for the encouragement about the disability. I'll have to see if I get it in the first place.

Ive worked retail in the health food industry for 5 years now. currently working in produce at a small family owned organic grocer. its laborious work but it makes me strong. so great as Ive used diet/supplements and alternative methods to deal with crohns and it is a really supportive and informative environment for that. also get a sweet discount on organic foods which is great for my pricey juicing habit!

I'm a student studying architecture. Stress is a pretty big issue in the field of architecture, but I'm hoping I can go through with it, as I've wanted to be an architect my entire life. The program where I go to school is pretty competitive, which has been pretty stressful already. I've actually had to drop down to part time for this semester because of my Crohn's, but the Architecture department has been pretty accommodating towards my illness. As has the university, who actually gave me a 3000 dollar scholarship for having Crohn's...

I work for a translation company. We translate all kinds of materials into and from foreign languages. We also proofread English only texts (brochures, web-sites, etc...).

I'm am aircraft refueller, it can be difficult when I spend so much time on the airfield. In some parts I have to swipe through 8 locked security doors before I reach the toilet.

Last edited:
I have had an office job for over a year but recently have been becoming increasingly sick. My boss is not understanding and the work environment was way too stressful so I put in my notice, I only have 1 week left. I am studying to become a sign language interpreter and hopefully I will be healthy enough to continue classes in the Spring '13 semester.

I'm a geologist and do environmental consulting. My schedule is really flexible with consulting and I can often work from home when my symptoms act up. My job does involve a good amount of field work, but I haven't had a problem with it yet. Everyone I work with is aware of my condition and very supportive. I love my job :)

I'm a geologist and do environmental consulting. My schedule is really flexible with consulting and I can often work from home when my symptoms act up. My job does involve a good amount of field work, but I haven't had a problem with it yet. Everyone I work with is aware of my condition and very supportive. I love my job :)
So Jealous! I LOVE geology and with my bachelor's I studied a lot of Environmental Anthropology - congrats on being able to keep your job :)

consulting is also stressful cos you have to find your own clients etc. I am so on the brink of resigning. But i'm not sure if it will be more stressful for me at home - firstly - to not have money and secondly, I will miss my friends here - but the boss and the job itself - the amount of hours, is so so stressful for me. It is affecting my health!!

Dilemmas, dilemmas....

I graduated in 2011 with a BSc in mathematics and then started my teaching qualifications straight after. I had to drop out in April because of amounting crohns related health problems (Too many hours of planning, teaching, assignments, and lectures) The teaching of lessons themselves weren't too much of a problem; it was more the work that had to be done before and after each one, I didnt have the energy :(.

Had first surgery 6 weeks ago, feeling sooooo much better, need another surgery in about 2 months, but once healed up im gonna go straight back into teaching maths :)

I work for a translation company. We translate all kinds of materials into and from foreign languages. We also proofread English only texts (brochures, web-sites, etc...).
Well you look familiar! My twitter friend! :D Nice to see you in here!

I was a daycare teacher..but recently had to quit my job because all the sickness around the kids, was not making me stay well. :( SAHM now.

I resigned from my position as an internal auditor for healthcare. I'm glad I did because I would have been fired anyway for being sick all the time. It blows!!

My last job was a project manager in the tax department of a large company. Lots of stress, and to make matters worse my manager was not very sympathetic when I needed surgery due to complications from strictures. I resigned about 8 months ago. Now I'm a SAHM & I take the occasional contract work assignment. Much less stress & I feel much better.

I resigned from my position as an internal auditor for healthcare. I'm glad I did because I would have been fired anyway for being sick all the time. It blows!!
I'm about to be fired - well really this is my last month. They have been very understanding for almost 2 years, allowing me to work less than the minimum amount of hours. Now I guess it got too much for them. Oh well, some good HAS come out of it.

Hi! I hope I am doing this right. I am new here, and I am old. <G>. I have a sitting job and I am able to go to work very regularly unless 1) I have doc appointments or 2) I am in the hospital. But even after I get out of the hospital I just go right back to work!

Problem is: no bathroom in our suite! I have to walk 130 steps to the bathroom which I have counted many times! :ack:

Best wishes to you as you decide on a career. Remember that it's a reversible decision!

Peggy

Interesting - How do you handle flying a plane when you have a bad day? I know you have auto pilot, but for take off, and landings don't you have to be at the controls no matter what?
I have a stricture at the terminal ileum. Never had lots of problems with the runs. I end up with blockage and pain instead.

I've just managed the symptoms. I'm careful, and lucky enough to have some control over my own schedule. It oddly seldom bothers me when flying.

The biggest issue is the competing goals of my health vs career. My GI has to write a report to the FAA every year about my condition. So, I find myself minimizing what I tell him. The FAA is pretty antiquated about the whole thing. It would be safer for them to lighten up because lots of pilots minimize and hide things for sake of their career.

I went to college for graphic design, I'm not too shabby at it, though I was pretty terrible when I first got out and still have a long way to go.

I couldn't find anything in the field so I started looking at more basic minimum wage jobs. I bombed an interview at Guitar Center pretty bad, forgot everything I knew on the spot and made an ass of myself but that's typically how a first interview ever goes right?

I waited months and finally got another interview at a grocery store where I felt I nailed it but got the "why aren't you looking for a job in your field" run down and feel I was turned away for being 'overqualified' as in I went to college, despite never having had a real job, and thus they won't take me because I might expect better pay or quit for a 'real' job soon idk.

At about this point I had really bad symptoms, this was when my gluten intolerance started but of course I had no idea what it was just that I was incredibly ill. For a long time I'd been tottering on the idea that I'm sick but am I sick enough that it's fair for me to collect disability?

Well I hit the wall where I was so sick that it wasn't really a dilemma anymore, got approved pretty fast for SSI. I'm hoping to get on medicare/medicaid because my prescriptions are really expensive and I'd like to be able to pay for my own food so my parents don't have to.

Now I'm well but still unstable, if I have just a little of something I shouldn't, like a few granules of black pepper get on my food, I won't sleep that night, I'll be too busy on the can. That's just not something conducive to a work environment.

Before I got sick I was doing some contract work in design for a couple of guys that were starting up a t-shirt/informational business doing aggressive anti-racism speeches. I did some stuff, gave them about 4 final designs, they paid me a small but fair amount and then their business plan kind of fell through.

Well they contacted me earlier this month and want to get stuff started again, I'm wondering if this could be a risk to my SSI? It's not technically an income, it's pay per design, and I'm not even 100% on how many designs I'll be making but barely enough to put gas in the tank, let alone bills.

Anyone know about this? If it came down to it I'd do it for free just to be part of something.

I'm a prosecuting attorney. Fortunately, I work with great people who are understanding. I've only had to ask to leave court once in 6 months which I view as a minor miracle. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep my chosen career. But, I am concerned because I have to spend so much time in court with few breaks.

I'm a wastewater operator. I basically run a small sized plant with a few other people. It's a dirty job but I actually like it. However, not sure once I start treatment if I'll be able to keep working around such hazardous materials.

I have been living with Crohns Disease for 30 years now. I was in remission for quite some time until the past 6 years. Now its a constant daily struggle. I have been fired from many jobs in the past and now I have a very part time job doing direct sales. I am an independent consultant with Scentsy. This is a great company to be a part of and I have the flexibility I need by being able to work when i feel up to it and set my own hours and workload. If you would like more information on joining my team please email me toughinboots@yahoo.com

I don't know the rules of SSI - but my 2 cents - Don't do it for free. If it's not on the black - who would know? (Hope that's not too terrible for me to say). As you say, it would just be a little on the side.

I have had Crohns since i was 12 years old (1996)... Been through 3 re-sections... moved across the country by myself in 2005 to pursue my career in Los Angeles... Never looked back...

I am an Environment Artist working in the Game Industry.. :) I worked as an FX artist in the film industry for over 5 years... I LOVE MY CAREER! :)

Right now I'm a dispatch supervisor for a taxi company. The stress of this job causes severe flare-ups, but it pays well. However, I'm studying to be a massage therapist, and I want to perhaps either start a business with my friend or go into neonatal care.

I teach music in an elementary school. I've been at it for 6 years, but this is my first year with the Crohns going on. So far it's been working out ok. Occasionally I'm a few minutes late for lunch duty or in being ready for a class as a result of running to the bathroom. I only usually need to make it for 40 minutes at a stretch, though, then I get 5 minutes (usually time to prepare for the next class), if everybody else is punctual. Plus during lunch duty there's usually other teachers working, so I can slip away for a few minutes. If I have an "emergency" I can get someone to cover my class for a few minutes, but that only happened once right before school ended last year, before I had a diagnosis.

My boss is pretty understanding so far, and has told me to let him know what sorts of things I needs. He seems to understand that things may change along the way, too.

So far the worst thing was getting ready for one of my two seasonal concerts. That's an extremely stressful event. Symptoms got a little worse while that was going on, but I still got through it. If that's as bad as it gets, I think I can get through it--I only do 2 concerts a year.

Hairdresser... But being a military spouse stationed overseas in germany. I can only work at ONE place on post if I want to continue to do my job. Doing it 40 hours a week with my husband deployed. I gave it up because I was sick all the time, and recently (finally) diagnosed. So I wanted to take the time for my meds to kick in, figure out my trigger foods, and attempt to feel better before my husband came home.

I'm a program coordinator at a literacy non-profit, the pay isn't great but it's worth it for the flexibility; a lot of the time I can work from home if I need to, come home for lunch, and my hours are only 8-2:30 Tue-Fri with some night-time programs every few weeks or so. It's rewarding work. On the side, I do graphic design and web design, which I'm hoping to turn into a full-time gig from home in the next couple of years.

Before this job, right after I graduated college, I was a producer at a broadcast news channel in Nashville, working overnight for the morning show (10pm-8am) 5 days a week. That only lasted a year, and I'm surprised I made it that long! ZERO flexibility there and a lot of really silly scripts written for "serious" news anchors. :)

I am a special needs educational assistant that works one on one with a severe special needs child in a mainstream grade 2 classroom. My job is definitely taxing, between chasing the kid and trying to get him to do things that the other kids aren't doing because he is not at their level and crawling around on the floor with him, but it is so rewarding when he "read" his first word and generated his first sentence on paper! Thankfully we have a very understanding secretary who will take him when I have bathroom issues that can't wait until my break.