• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does exercise give you more energy?

I know that everyone is different with many things but I must ask my fellow Crohn's sufferers how they tolerate exercise. I have been exhausted from even the slightest activity and my job requires standing/walking for 7.5 hours and lifting heavy items. so, you can imagine just thinking about exercising sometimes makes me even more weak! I'm wondering if I start actively exercising (walks, maybe jogging, swimming, yoga) if it will help with my fatigue?? I know that it helps people who have "normal" health but will it do the same for me? or will my strong urge to lay down and take naps become even stronger? What have your experiences been?

I am currently in a slight flare, not terrible but noticeably present. -knock on wood-

From what I know, exercise will perk you up in the long run. Just start walking 3 times a week, briskly, and see what happens. I need to do the same thing. I have gotten so lazy with my crohns.

DJW

Forum Monitor
I've found it beneficial. I started very slowly. It started by walking around the apartment after surgery last year. Now I can usually do two twenty minute walks a day. I'm still flairing but slowly getting my energy back.

I find exercise to be beneficial both physically and mentally. However, when I am flaring, it is often a challenge to find the right balance. It is very easy to overdo it and then I feel the effects the next day. I have tried to maintain my regular workout schedule when in a flare, but I found that I have to scale back the intensity. And there are days when I just don't have it in me to work out, so I go for a walk. I have found that even if I am dead tired, this is helpful because if I go too many days without doing anything, I end up feeling even more tired and depressed.

Thanks for the responses! I guess I should at least try to start, see how it works for me. my ex would get annoyed with me when he would want to go for walks and I'd say I just got off work, I'm exhausted. He would retort with how he just worked, too...but maybe it would've helped me to just do it. I would go half the time. I just want to be healthier!

DJW

Forum Monitor
Do the best you can. If all you can do is stand up some days, that's fine. Don't beat yourself up.

It does help..more energy. Initially felt very weak, but I started with push ups and can definitely feel an increase in my body strength.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Yes with a caveat. I started working out when I first got into remission a few years ago, and when I was in remission, definitely yes - getting regular exercise absolutely helped my energy levels. It also helped me sleep better, it helped my moods (the depression pretty much went away), it helped me cope with stress better, you name it. Exercise is fantastic.

I did fall out of remission a little over a year ago, and I spent about a year struggling with a mild-ish flare (I'm currently on my way back into remission I think). During that year that I was flaring, exercise was more difficult, and on bad days it made more sense to rest than to push my body. If I pushed myself anyway, I sometimes ended up feeling even worse.

So, yes exercise can help, but definitely listen to your body and don't push yourself too much at first as you figure out what your limits are. On a bad day, don't feel bad about resting, and on a good day, do what you can but don't overdo it or you may pay for it. I would say start with short, slow walks or some gentle yoga and see how that goes. Good luck! :)

It does help me - not that i'm training for a marathon or anything!
I usually just spend 1/2 an hour ( which I have worked up to) on the bike or cross trainer( kinder on the knees!) and a few things they have shown me on the arm machines.

I also do pilates one night a week, and although it is difficult to start with, it is worth it. - Good for us ladies with pelvic floor strengthening too:) It also has a really nice relaxing bit at the end, and I sleep really well when I get home:)

I have found that when I have a bit of muscle rather than just all squishyness, I find it a bit easier to get around, climb stairs, pick stuff up etc and I get breathless less often.

I am not a 'cross fit mum' or whatever they call themselves now, but I get more done in a day, even taking the gym time into account - don't know how that works!

So this very long winded answer is ...yes!

Exercise personally helps me a ton! I sometimes have trouble getting motivated to get started, but once I get moving I definitely feel an increase in my energy level. It is also a big stress reliever for me, so when I exercise i am more relaxed and feel better overall.

I find exercise to be beneficial both physically and mentally. However, when I am flaring, it is often a challenge to find the right balance. It is very easy to overdo it and then I feel the effects the next day. I have tried to maintain my regular workout schedule when in a flare, but I found that I have to scale back the intensity. And there are days when I just don't have it in me to work out, so I go for a walk. I have found that even if I am dead tired, this is helpful because if I go too many days without doing anything, I end up feeling even more tired and depressed.
you stole the words out of my mouth. i have nothing to add

Looks like I have no excuse! I really gotta get exercising..Thank you, everyone, for your replies!! it's hard to start, like some of you said....just have to do it!

you need to spread out the exercise thru out your day.

not to much in one shot
and still exercise a lot