• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fish oil does it help

Hey guys I have tried fish oil on and off and I honestly don't know if I feel a difference from it my arthritis still hurts like hell and never really noticed a difference in my crohn's symptoms so please share your experiences with it I might try it again.

i found a combination of vit d, krill oil and magnesium helped my arthritis greatly, but i don't eat inflammatory grains and sugar either

I find that if I cut out my enteric coated fish oil (4 caps of 850 actual omegas/more EPA than DHA) or probiotics, within two days I have less formed stools. Not to mention I believe it helps stave off joint pains and stress--though I cannot directly prove these, the literature seems to suggest so.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I also agree, the enteric coated version of fish oil would prob do you best.

Between the time I finished my prednisone taper for a recent flare and the time that I began the fish oil, I was still showing some symptoms of a flare. I was afraid that I might have to go back on pred or try something else. When I started taking the fish oil about a month ago and drinking a glass of juiced veggies daily to substitute a meal, I noticed the symptoms started to ease up. And I don't show much (if any) real inner/outer signs of discomfort/distress in the abdominal area (unless I have too much of food that I shouldn't). All I seem to be dealing with are some lingering side effects of prednisone withdrawal.

I would like to think the combination of 1 juiced meal (giving the gut a rest) and the fish oil (which is anti-inflammatory) have helped calm the symptoms.

I figure I will keep on this track as well as watch my diet and see if it continues to help and keeps me in some form of remission :)

what are enteric coated capsules and how do I find out if the fish oil capsules are enteric

I was thinking of trying krill oil as its meant to be stronger

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
An enteric coated capsule will be able to pass through the stomach without being broken down. It dissolves only in the intestine. It should say on the bottle "enteric" or it will say "liquid release soft capsule"

Attachments

An enteric coated capsule will be able to pass through the stomach without being broken down. It dissolves only in the intestine. It should say on the bottle "enteric" or it will say "liquid release soft capsule"
Thats what my capsules of vita d look like mt oil is like that aswell

Here is what Dr. Mercola has to say about Fish Oil compared to Krill Oil.

I prefer krill oil compared to all other animal-based omega-3's because while the metabolic effects of krill oil and fish oil are "essentially similar," krill oil is as effective as fish oil despite the fact that it contains less EPA and DHA.8 This is because krill oil is absorbed up to 10-15 times as well as fish oil due to its molecular composition (Its EPA and DHA fatty acid chains are phospholipid bound), and is less prone to oxidation (rancidity) because it is naturally complexed with the potent fat-soluble antioxidant astaxanthin.

Fish oil is in a triglyceride molecule that has to be broken down in your gut to its base fatty acids of DHA and EPA. About 80-85 percent is never absorbed and is eliminated in your intestine (this is why fish oil can cause you to experience burp back and why about half of all people cannot tolerate fish oil). Then once the fatty acids are absorbed into your bloodstream, your liver has to attach it to phoshphatidyl choline for it to be used by your body.

The beauty of krill is that all of it is in the correct form in the original pill, so your body uses virtually 100 percent of it. As a result, most people only need two to three 500-mg capsules of krill oil per day (each capsule typically contains about 50 mg of DHA and 90 mg of EPA) to support optimal brain, and overall, health.

Code:
Astaxanthin is a real good antiinflammatory substance in its own right.
While Krill Oil has some of this in it naturally, I also take more as a separate supplement.

Many people take it to prevent aging. Not sure if that works in humans but in animal studies it works. It's worth a little research.

Dan