• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does anybody suffer from tendon pain?

For the past few years, I have a had progressively worsening pain in both Achilles' tendons but mainly in my right. The pain is now spreading to underneath my feet and I have some neuropathy in my toes on my right.

I'm hyper mobile so I do have a full range of movement (probably better than most people) but my right Achilles always feels like it's on the point of snapping.

My guess is that this issue is more to do with hypermobility than CD but I wondered if anybody else has had similar issues or whether hypermobility is linked to CD.

Thanks

My son gets enthesitis which is inflammation where the ligaments and tendons insert into the bone. He once had a flare in the back of his heel at the Achilles tendon insertion point. It hurt so much that he couldn't walk. Enthesitis is common with IBD related arthritis.

My son gets enthesitis which is inflammation where the ligaments and tendons insert into the bone. He once had a flare in the back of his heel at the Achilles tendon insertion point. It hurt so much that he couldn't walk. Enthesitis is common with IBD related arthritis.
That's where my pain is but it radiates up towards my calf also. Do you mind me asking how it was treated?

Treatment has been prednisone to bring flares under control quickly and sulfasalazine to maintain remission. We tried to stop the sulfasalazine once but he almost immediately had a enthesitis flare so I guess it is working. When he is in pain we try icing it or soaking in warm water (i.e. one of those foot spa things). If he didn't have IBD the first line treatment would be NSAIDs.

rygon

Would it be something as low electrolytes to malabsorption or D

I usually get pain in calfs when I am dehydrated

Sorry to hear about the pain. I have a story to add.My first big pain in my tendons in my feet came when I was getting ready for the Ironman race. Spent many sleepless nights thinking I might not be able to do it. I also always had runners trots, but never made the connection. Eventually the wrists, elbows and fingers came on board, and two years later, well after the race, my intestines gave in on another marathon. My training partner insisted it cannot be just the sport. Few month later I was diagnosed with Crohn's, and got steroids( entocort) . It helped with the intestines, and to my surprise, with the pain in my tendons. It felt like I never had to worry about it again. But its back. Now I have lot more visits with a arthritis doctor, than GI one. I take sulfa, but there are times when I have to get a steroid shot for pain. It generally comes all together, GI tract pain and tendon pain. Its weird.

Yes!! I have not been diagnosed with Crohn's (IBS though), I do have a seronegative spondyloarthpathy. My tendons in my knee, shoulder and ankle give me a lot of pain!! Taking sulpha, but it is not helping so much anymore. Even though I don't have crohns, NASIDs don't like me at all.