• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

When is the best time to take supplements ?

Hello Everyone. I am not sure if this questions has been asked before but I would like to ask everyone again.

Does anyone have a particular schedule in intaking supplements ?

I myself take several things only: Munuka Honey, Probiotic, Krill Oil, Vit D (starting soon), multivitamin

Morning (before breakfast)
Munuka Honey

Lunch
Krill Oil
multivitamin (maybe)

Dinner (after dinner)
Jamison Probiotic
multivitamin (maybe)

Anyone have found consuming their supplements at a different time gives a greater benefit/effect from it ?

Please share as I would like to know and I am only relying on these supplements for my CD at the moment.

Generally probiotics are best taken on an empty stomach, although following the directions on the package is never a bad idea. I take my probiotic first thing in the morning and wait a little while before eating, and take one at night right before I go to bed.

Multivitamins should always be taken with a meal as far as I know. Vitamin D is best absorbed when taken with a high fat meal or snack. Krill oil I am not that familiar with, but I will assume it is like fish oil and should also be taken with a high fat meal or snack.

Those are general rules that I follow, but if I find something upsets my stomach (example 1 probiotic I tried gave me problems if I did not take with a meal) I will alter my dosing schedule until I find something that works.

Edit: If you have disease in your ileum I strongly suggest adding a B complex or B12 supplement.

Hope this was helpful.

Where do you get your krill oil? I want to try this as I hear it is good for inflammation. I went to my local Whole Foods and they will not carry it. Something about the imhumane way the Krill are rasied or something. Where can I purchase this and what brand is best??

Hello Everyone. I am not sure if this questions has been asked before but I would like to ask everyone again.

Does anyone have a particular schedule in intaking supplements ?

I myself take several things only: Munuka Honey, Probiotic, Krill Oil, Vit D (starting soon), multivitamin

Morning (before breakfast)
Munuka Honey

Lunch
Krill Oil
multivitamin (maybe)

Dinner (after dinner)
Jamison Probiotic
multivitamin (maybe)

Anyone have found consuming their supplements at a different time gives a greater benefit/effect from it ?

Please share as I would like to know and I am only relying on these supplements for my CD at the moment.

Generally probiotics are best taken on an empty stomach, although following the directions on the package is never a bad idea. I take my probiotic first thing in the morning and wait a little while before eating, and take one at night right before I go to bed.

Multivitamins should always be taken with a meal as far as I know. Vitamin D is best absorbed when taken with a high fat meal or snack. Krill oil I am not that familiar with, but I will assume it is like fish oil and should also be taken with a high fat meal or snack.

Those are general rules that I follow, but if I find something upsets my stomach (example 1 probiotic I tried gave me problems if I did not take with a meal) I will alter my dosing schedule until I find something that works.

Edit: If you have disease in your ileum I strongly suggest adding a B complex or B12 supplement.

Hope this was helpful.
Hey i believe my crohns is eveywhere. what are the benefits of the b supplements, can u elaborate ? I'm currently taking multivitimin already.. Will i get too much of these b, c, d vits ?

I also wonder how many probiotics can we consume daily. i am on Jamison 10billion robotic but the label only said 1 a day. Will i get too mmuch if i do more?

I also haven't tried taking it with a empty stomach. I've always do it after dinner. Can anyone else share what they do?

Where do you get your krill oil? I want to try this as I hear it is good for inflammation. I went to my local Whole Foods and they will not carry it. Something about the imhumane way the Krill are rasied or something. Where can I purchase this and what brand is best??
Hey ihurt. I was relying on fish oil before but i dun really see a special difference in me and i was reading up krill these few days and apparently its easier for us to absorb it? I live in Canada (Toronto) so there's a brand called jamison that carries it. It can be found at big stores like walmart, loblaws, etc.

I really hope to get better results with krill as i think if we are not as inflammed, would that mean that our body is less prone to fight itself/do damage to our intestine?

Thanks for the reply. I will check out Walmart for the krill oil, thanks. I am not sure if it would help the body not to fight itself. I mean there are so many theories on what the possible causes are for this disease. Some say it is autoimmune where the body attacks itself, and others think it is actually a bacteria we have in the gut that is bad and the body is trying to rid itself of it. There are so many theories out there. But in any event, I have read that krill oil is suppose to help with inflammation in general so I am hoping it will help. Thanks for the info..

Hey ihurt. I was relying on fish oil before but i dun really see a special difference in me and i was reading up krill these few days and apparently its easier for us to absorb it? I live in Canada (Toronto) so there's a brand called jamison that carries it. It can be found at big stores like walmart, loblaws, etc.

I really hope to get better results with krill as i think if we are not as inflammed, would that mean that our body is less prone to fight itself/do damage to our intestine?

Ihurt - that's what i heard too so that's why I've decided to give it a try. As im trying to stay away from any western meds, im just trying to see if i can maintain my disease with only supplements n herbal medicine. I've been told many times from Chinese doc that i have to build up my autoimmune system. I don't know how i can achieve that but im trying...

What is the dose of vitamin D you are taking? Vit C is pretty much impossible to overdose on so I wouldn't worry about that. The B vitamins have many important roles that I'll elaborate on tommorrow, when I have more time. But you will not have problems with overdosing unless you take them in very very high quantities. Probiotics are hard to judge, you can try taking 2 yourself and just see what happens?

Also, what are your symptoms like right now?

What is the dose of vitamin D you are taking? Vit C is pretty much impossible to overdose on so I wouldn't worry about that. The B vitamins have many important roles that I'll elaborate on tommorrow, when I have more time. But you will not have problems with overdosing unless you take them in very very high quantities. Probiotics are hard to judge, you can try taking 2 yourself and just see what happens?

Also, what are your symptoms like right now?

Hey kel. Thank you so much for responding. I don't feel any pain at the moment n if i do it is very short in duration. I have around 2-3 bowel movements a day and at the moment its watery. I was having firm stools for a few weeks before thou. My main concern is i have just found myself a fustula 2nd one now and i would want to make sure i can control it so no more will come. Both my first and 2nd one didn't bother me.. I also have discharge? From my bum thou and i would like to eliminate that if poasible.

As i mentioned i take munuka honey in the morning, multivitim and krill oil after lunch, probiotic and vit d after dinner.

My previous blood test shows that i have high Crp n esr scores and low hemoglobin. i saw that i have ok b12 thou. Test doesn't show vit d levels.

Fistulas normally drain. If they do not
a) they have healed (this is good)
b) there is an abscess forming (this is bad)

Fistulas can develop into a big problem if left unattended...I would at least see a GI or colo rectal surgeon and get their opinion. I completely understand wanting to avoid prescription medications though. Sitting in a warm tub for 15 minutes twice a day can help the fistula to drain/heal/stay clean.

You mentioned you were having firm stools for a few weeks, did you change anything diet wise or supplement wise that would cause them to be watery now?

hey Kel,

I am just shocked about fistulas as I had one with me ever since I was diagnoses (I was unaware of it until I check my MRI results) this week. It wasn't giving me any problems and my GI never said anything about it as I told her I was not going to take any medication - by medication she meant she wanted me to go on humira or remicade.

How can you tell if the fistula is healing ? I wash that area throughly but I don't think there is anything draining from it - with both of my fistulas. I use half a paper towel on top of my underwear and most of the time I see some yellowish stains and poop like stains - Are those what you called Discharge or Draining ? They don't look like pus though cause it's not so thick and gluey.

In terms of firm stool - I don't really know. It comes whenever it wants it seems - I've mostly stick with my diet but just these few days it started to be watery again because I was so worried after I found my 2nd fistula - I don't know if it's my mood that affected the bowel movement but I also did began to consume Krill oil and vit D again. I was quite lazy before and just relied on my probiotic pill... and eating chips and candies.

Hey Kel,

I just got home and read up on my Vit D intake. My Multivitamin gives 15mcg/600 IU and the Vit D pill is 25mcg/1000 IU.

I have no idea what those values mean..

As well.. Since I found out I had a fistula last Saturday.. I was in panic and meltdown mode the whole week.. I believe I went from 115lb to 110 as I went to weight myself now. So scary yet it's so hard for me to gain the weight back...