• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What is the offending ingredient.

I tried something recently and one day I ate something I knew worked and something that I knew didn't next.

The first day I had some ihop pancakes and that was it entire day.

Next day I had a white bread turkey sandwich from subway all I ate all day.

First day I was 100% healthy second I had diarrhea after.

What is the offending ingredient for me

I have no idea what it was for you, but for me, I have a horrible gut reaction to any type of soy. It makes me cramp like I'm dying and diarrhea...whether it's soy flour, soy oil, or soy fillers. It's toxic for me. If I had eaten what you did, it would have been the mayo on the sandwich which contained soybean oil.

But that's just me. I do, however, know several people with CD that have found out they cannot tolerate any amount of soy and have eliminated it from their diet and are doing better.

Imagine the offending item could be any number of possibilities, from a food item to exercise, etc. At least for me over exercising can lead to stomach issues also.

Very recently I begun eating an all wild caught sea food diet. My idea being that if the animal had been fed soy maybe the soy proteins can show up in the meat and I will react to that. I only mention as I've noticed turkey can frequently be a problem for me. Some free range turnkey though wasn't a problem, which causes me confusion on why that would be.

So far so good for me on my wild fish diet. Good luck figuring out what is behind your reaction.

For me it would have been gluten in the flour. Gluten can take up to four days before you get a reaction, so the diarrhoea could have come from the pancakes as well as the sandwich.

Imagine the offending item could be any number of possibilities, from a food item to exercise, etc. At least for me over exercising can lead to stomach issues also.

Very recently I begun eating an all wild caught sea food diet. My idea being that if the animal had been fed soy maybe the soy proteins can show up in the meat and I will react to that. I only mention as I've noticed turkey can frequently be a problem for me. Some free range turnkey though wasn't a problem, which causes me confusion on why that would be.

So far so good for me on my wild fish diet. Good luck figuring out what is behind your reaction.
Oddly enough, I've been concerned about soy fed animals lately...for the exact reason you've stated. I react badly to a certain "natural" chicken, and I've found out the birds are being fed a mixture of grains that contain soybeans. I have gone strictly with our Amish free range chickens to which I have zero reaction. I'm glad someone else believes what the animal is fed ends up in their meat. I thought it sounded quite logical, but have met with brick walls when trying to find someone in authority who will confirm my beliefs. *eyeroll*

I'll stick with my "gut reaction"....pun intended. :)

Thanks Salad Shooter. It sound like we are on the same page. Good to read someone else is trying this. It makes sense to me that what the animals eats could also show up the meat. At least I've seen a few articles about soy proteins testing positive in eggs and dairy products, where the animal was fed soy meal.

I've been eating grass fed steak for awhile. Eating that seemed to help my gut. The help wasn't consistent though, and as a result I wasn't recovering all that well.

Recently I read that the definiation of grass fed can mean different things to different firms. Some will feed their live stock mainly pasture grass, but will supplement a small portion of the diet with soy meal and synthetic vitamins. One article even mentioned some farmers will simply be dishonest, labeling soy fed live stock as wild pasture fed. If true I figure it would be easy enough to do.

I've done the pescaterian wild caught fish diet before and became well to the gut and saw some recovery on it. I remember at the time I had other ideas on why it was helping. I'm thinking the possible confusion with the definition of grass fed is what tripped me up. At least I'm hoping so.

I've stopped eating Subway years ago. When I figured out how horrible I felt afterwards. Subway has the worst quality meat, full of additives that are hard to digest (Carrageenan, various "gums"). I know these are triggers for me. I have stopped eating fast food that does not supply a full list of ingredients. I've learned to pack lunches or have my safe restaurants and foods that don't give me gut issues.

Beach, I had a long reply typed, but cyberspace ate it and wouldn't give it back. Let me just say, I agree with what you've posted. lol That's much easier.
I hate when that happens! I'm a slow writer as is, and then when the computer looses what I've written it can drive me nuts.

I'm just at the beginning of the soy avoiding/ wild fish diet. Hard to say how it will turn out for me. I have good hopes for it though. If I continue to do well I'll provide an update or two. So far I can say with certainty I'm popular with the cats. They enjoy the sound of tuna cans being opened.

try doing the same experiment but giving yourself 6 days of each diet, the relationships between symptoms and diet will be much clearer. It's very likely that sugar will be the most offending ingredient and fiber will be the most protective/beneficial ingredient.

Also it takes time for your body to react to a meal. You were likley reacting towards yesterdays meal at ihop or even a meal 3 days ago which wasn't part of your experiment. You need what is called a control period which acts as a comparison to your experimentation period. like comparing one diet with another, many times with only one variable changed to see how it affects your entire body otherwise by changing 50 different things you'll never know which one is having a good or bad effect on your body, you will falsely accuse one thing as the culprit when it was actually another thing when these are just coincidences two event occuring during the same time appearing as if one caused the other, but when retested properly it doesn't occur because there are always multiple processes and events occuring simultaneously in life, its scientists job to seperate them as such, or confounded variables where one thing appearing to cause another thing but another unknown variable is actually responsible.

Also read the book breaking the vicious cycle, some of this information in the book is true but not all of it. you'll find out the truth in your own experience with properly designed experiments, good observations and good reasoning.

Last edited:
Oddly enough, I've been concerned about soy fed animals lately...for the exact reason you've stated. I react badly to a certain "natural" chicken, and I've found out the birds are being fed a mixture of grains that contain soybeans. I have gone strictly with our Amish free range chickens to which I have zero reaction. I'm glad someone else believes what the animal is fed ends up in their meat. I thought it sounded quite logical, but have met with brick walls when trying to find someone in authority who will confirm my beliefs. *eyeroll*

I'll stick with my "gut reaction"....pun intended. :)
It seems the soy/vitamin/grain free diet, and free of those items being fed to live stock is working for me. At least I've log in around a week of being decently well to the stomach. I'm getting a little tired of eating fish! but I'm more tired of being sick to the gut. I'm hoping the good stomach times continue. I have a long road trip planned in a few weeks time.