• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Post surgical diet ideas

Hi everyone,

It's been a long time since I've posted. I'm a mom of two adult sons with Crohn's. We have been dealing with this for about 9 years. The older one achieved a remission last year and is holding steady (thank God). The younger one has had trouble. This past week my worst nightmares came true. My younger son was rushed to the OR to have 6" of damaged bowels removed. He is recovery very well and should be coming home soon.

But, he is going to have to eat low residue for at least a month until his surgery site heals. The dietitian gave him some info but it clearly lacks in full nutritional value. If anyone has been on this diet, what was your favorite menu item.

Another question is, have many of you gone gluten free too? I've been reading lots about triggers and wanted to hear about other peoples experiences.

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I've been reading lots about triggers and wanted to hear about other peoples experiences.
After lots of experimenting, trials and error, I have so far identified the following FOUR main triggers for a flare:

MEAT: Any sort of meat (i.e.) beef, lamb, chicken, pork, sliced deli meats, tinned tuna, etc... I can handle small amounts of freshly caught wild fish occasionally, but I have basically changed to a vegan diet since being diagnosed.

DAIRY: Any sort of dairy (i.e.) cheese, milk, yogurt, cream, ice-cream, buttermilk, etc... I can handle small amounts of certified organic butter, but rarely have it.

ALCOHOL: Any sort of alcohol (i.e.) wine, beer, liqueurs, spirits, premixes, etc...I can handle small amounts of certified organic preservative-free wine

WHEAT: Any sort of wheat based food (i.e.) bread, cakes, biscuits, cereals, etc...I can't handle any wheat at all.

Then there are other things that irritate me (i.e.) gluten, yeast, rice, raw broccoli, raw brussel sprouts, overindulging with nuts, hot & spicy, chocolate, sugar, artificial flavours, colours and flavourings.

I seem to be surviving well on raw or steamed vegetables, raw or poached fruit, fruit or vegetable smoothies, sprouted seeds, homemade vegetable juices, caffeine-free herbal teas, water from coconuts, wheatgrass, pure water.

For after surgery diet I would suggest nutritional easy to digest things like homemade vegetable juice, particularly the juice from organic celery & apple, or watermelon & cucumber. As it says on the following link: “The juice from raw fruits and vegetables has powerful healing and rejuvenating properties that can help people with all sorts of health problems. Juices are easily digested and absorbed and are superb for those with a poor appetite, nausea, digestive problems or an inflamed stomach or intestines”.

http://www.tohealth.com.au/why.html

When I left hospital after tests they suggested that I eat plain things like commercial apple sauce and jelly. Trouble is, there is no nutrition in commercial apple sauce and jelly. Thankfully a friend came to the rescue and lent me her Green Star juicer and the rest is history.

Also other highly nutritious foods that are easy to digest and assimilate, are homemade broths and blended soups. As it says on the following link: "The public is generally unaware of the large amount of research on the beneficial effects of gelatin taken with food. Gelatin acts first and foremost as an aid to digestion and has been used successfully in the treatment of many intestinal disorders, including hyperacidity, colitis and Crohn’s disease".

http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog/articles/beautiful-broth

I hope these links helped you as much as they have helped me.

blkane, sorry to hear of your son's struggles. As far as a post surgical diet I would try to stick with nutritional shakes for awhile. It's easier on the gut to drink liquids. I would be careful of juices though as they can contain a lot of sugar which can make it rough on the gut. Grape juice will also act as a laxative and make you go more.

Diets for crohn's are super subjective. It's all a matter of trial and error. What bothers me may not bother your son. What bothers one son may not bother the other and vice versa.

I would be careful of juices though as they can contain a lot of sugar which can make it rough on the gut. Grape juice will also act as a laxative and make you go more.
Yes, be careful of fruit juices. Also, totally avoid all prepackaged juices from a carton, bottle or concentrate powder, as they have loads of added sugar.

I was talking about making your own vegetable juice at home (i.e.) cucumber juice.

There are quite a few vegetables I cannot eat whole because they are too fibrous for my gut. Things like broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, kale, carrots and celery are all too fibrous for me to eat whole. But when I juice them and remove the fibre, they make a nutritious and hydrating drink packed to the brim with vitamins.

Most IBD/UC & C sufferers have problems absorbing nutrients from their food and can be malnourished, so this vegetable juicing is really beneficial on many different levels.

I read this in a book called The Natural Year by Jane Alexander:

“the essential oils in carrots have an effect on the mucous membranes of the body and stimulate the circulation of blood in the stomach and intestinal tissues. Because of this balancing action, carrot juice is also good for constipation and diarrhoea and all sorts of digestive problems”.

And I have discovered her comments to be on the mark. Whenever I am flaring, a 250ml glass of carrot juice will settle me down and stop the flare.

I was using an expensive supplement to settle down the flares, but don't need it since I discovered carrot juice. Again, that is homemade carrot juice made with organic carrots, not bottled brought juice.

Other juices that help soothe and settle, are papaya or cabbage but I prefer the taste of carrots.