• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Waist support advice

Hi another (probably silly..) question from me...

I've just bought a waist support band, its quite big and basically it just fits with a velcro strip so I can adjust how tight it is. But its not a specific stoma belt and would put pressure over the top of my stoma. so is it safe to apply pressure over the stoma? or would I be better either like putting a hole in the waistband to accommodate my stoma and bag. Or is it all just a bad idea.

Tbh the only reason I've bought it is to give the bag a bit of support when I do excercise and help it stay in place so to speak. I like the idea of stealth belts that I've seen but at 60 quid each its not really viable.

Nyx

I bought a stealth belt...don't waste your money! You have to put your bag on sideways and that's not good when you want the output to go to the bottom of the bag! I found that the poop just gathered around my stoma when I wore that thing...NO GOOD!!

Re your question...you can squish your stoma, it won't hurt it. The poop will still be able to get out, so will the gas. As long as it's not tight like a corset, you should be fine. Just make sure your appliance is firmly attached and if you have a 2 piece, make sure the bag is on properly and has a good seal.

Thanks for the info, Yeah I read about the side ways thing with stealth belts which was a concern! They appear to be great but I get the feeling someone someone is making a lot of money due to peoples misfortune and insecurities. The waist band Ive just got literally cost £1.

I was wearing the waistband a bit tight so I decided to cut a hole in it to the size of my bag just so it covers and supports the wafer part of a one peice bag. And simply put the bag through the hole and let it hang loose. Just been for a swim with it on and it worked a treat :) Ill try and upload a pic if i can figure out how to do it. Its worked out really well because it covers over my mucus fistula aswell.

That looks really good, Think I may give one a try! Like i say, i was worried about covering the stoma but that looks ideal.

Didn't realise they are free off that site on prescription, Very nearly forked out on my card then!... Think ill have a vest whilst im at it haha.

Last edited:

ameslouise

Kinda the same idea... I wear bike shorts underneath dresses or other loose clothing to keep my bag from flopping all around. Keps it secure, but doesn't squish Bilbo.

Hey, Martin, does your stoma have a name?? :)

- Ames

waist support advice

hi i've just got some of these...
http://www.stomawear.uk.com/mens-stoma-waistbands/index.php
got them free on prescription or you can buy them and they're still pretty cheap. i love the shallow waistbands, they're so comfy and just incredibly stretchy, you can wear them swimming too.
the company also does support belts and stoma protectors if you do a lot of contact sports.
Thank you so much for the info. I'm from N.I. too and have just sent off for belts and pants! take care
all the best Paddy ( English female)

One of these has just arrived today, took a while to sort!!... got the shallow waistband and a vest and they are both very good. the vest is pretty tight though so ill have to see how that one goes.

I found a great support system that keeps the bag vertical and protects the stoma from contact. It has an elastic waistband that is very comfortable (not bulky). I can also wear normal clothing. check out stomatec.com

I got my order through in about a week. Marvelous! Still having problems with scar tissue on my waistband, a bit sore . I tried wearing a larger size in skirts but I've no hips so the skirt fell down. Now I just have to wear shift maxi dresses...hope they stay in fashion for a while. Happy Christmas everyone!