• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Requested nutritional lab work-glad I did

I asked the GI to add nutritional testing to H's lab work during his appt. a couple of weeks ago. Was especially interested in vit D levels based on what I had read on this site. Thanks David. :applause:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=23826

We had added a vit D3 liquid supplement with calcium and magnesium and wanted to see how he was doing with it. Dr said "That's great he's taking D, let's check E and zinc,as they are also sometimes affected" Asked about B and he did not think that was a problem.

So tests came back with D level of 39, E fine and low zinc. Said to move vit D sup from 500 to 1000 and add 15 mg of zinc.

Looked up zinc and crohns and found this
http://www.bcm.edu/cnrc/consumer/archives/zinc-chrons.htm

Link between low zinc and Crohn's disease symptoms studied
A pilot study designed to determine why children with Crohn's disease have low levels of zinc might lead to more effective treatments for this chronic inflammatory bowel disease.

"Many symptoms seen in Crohn's disease, such as stunted growth, a poor sense of taste and skin rashes, are also characteristic of a zinc deficiency. Because most individuals with Crohn's disease have low serum zinc levels, many question whether a zinc deficiency might be the cause of at least some symptoms," said Dr. Steven Abrams of the USDA/ARS Children's Nutrition Research Center at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston and the study's principal investigator.

What has H struggled with? stunted growth and rashes....hmmm.

Note; Excessive zinc may be harmful...Dr suggested 15mg based on H's labwork (he was already taking multivitamin with 2.7mg). Not recommending anyone supplement, just get tested to see if they should if you are interested.

So glad I have found this place....learning you really have to educate yourself and advocate for your child. If I did not ask, we would not had known.

Last edited:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Well done Mum! :thumleft: Hunter is a very lucky boy to have you on his side...:ybiggrin:

Thanks for link! :)

You may find the article in the wiki on vitamin and mineral deficiencies interesting.

Dusty. xxx

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Really? Didn't think B was important? A lot of people with Crohn's are low on B12 as much of it is absorbed in the ilium. So if you have inflammation (or have had a resection there) you wont absorb it as well and may be close to deficient and you can feel the effects of deficiency even if you're on the low end of the "normal" scale. I have to get B12 shots because I don't absorb it well even in supplements. Iron is also important along with folic acid. Don't see why doctors don't want to check those as they can be low and you will feel it. I used to have to take supplements for all of the above when I was a kid. Your GP can run these tests if your GI wont.

Glad you got some more tests done so your son can start feeling better. :)

Well done. That remind me I have to start taking vit D regularly! Great info on zink too. I think when I no longer have sustagen, I'll just go on a multi vit with zink, because I get it in that at the moment.
And yes, what an awesome forum to find this stuff out from each other. I'm so grateful for all the med and nutrion info. :)

wow! Thanks for sharing this! Alex too has stunted growth and skin rashes, and is THE pickiest eater I've ever seen. We had him on a zinc supplement last year while treating a fistula. Interesting. Doctor already ordered a zinc check at his next labs too.

My boys got back yesterday from spring break in florida with my parents. Great news ...no more rashes. :dance:
Nose rash cleared, he did not need to use topical antibiotic at all while gone. He has had this rash since before Christmas. Also chest and leg rash is gone, this had started in January. He started his zinc supp March 3rd. So it could be the zinc supp ...or it could be the rashes had run their course. Either way, glad they are gone.

I will ask again for B testing at next visit and bring some literature to back it up this time...however grateful did get some testing and answers.

maybe the humidity! Alex also did well when we were in Florida last fall, w/o a zinc supplement. funny.

I have no doubt, spring break in FL with the sun and the sea may have helped. We did see a significant change the week before he went. The nose rash has almost gone away before but came back on before it totally went away. This is the first time it did not make a comeback. Knock on wood... On a side note, got the bills for the testing, still glad we did it, but not so much our bank account:ylol: