• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Going Grocery shopping.. Need advice...

So, the past few weeks I've been trying to get foods that I'm told to eat, by my gi doc. But once I get there in the store, I'm either finding the prices are pretty pricey, or i don't know if I can eat it or not, and be fine afterwards.
When I was discharged from the hospital they put me one a Low Residue diet. And honestly, when i asked the doc what all that meant, he said things that contradicted eachother in the same breath. Like I couldn't have fiber but to eat peanuts.. and apples... and I couldn't eat cheese, but to eat something that would solidfy me.
My usual diet consumes of sugars, ramen, and soda's. and I doubt ramen fall in that category of low residue... >.> or does it?
What would be some good things for me to buy while i'm there? I usually end up just getting what my eyes see, and suddenly I start craving a certain food. Which is about the time I snag it up and toss it in the basket and dart off to another part of the store.
Jello and pudding is a okay thing. - i DO know this, lol- but i'm sorta sick of jello because i was on a jello diet for over 2 weeks straight. and both jello and pudding seems to be pretty high in price since 4 little cups come in a pack priced at 3 dollars ($3.20 to be exact), and i could eat those four little cups up in one sitting. :-\

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
If you goggle 'low residue diet' you can find a list for foods that fall under that category. Most canned vegetables and fruit will be okay, and very few fresh ones. Cantaloupe (orange melon) and squash are two that I remember for sure.
Any refined grains should be okay, white rice, white bread, white pasta. everyone is different though. Stay away from seeds, skins, peels, whole grains.
You can buy a package of pudding and mix it up yourself instead of buying those little cups, SO true that you can't eat one! They are probably more like 80 cents for the same 4 servings. I make pudding with skim milk if I am worried about calories. The only problem is that it's still full of sugar, and sugar can increase inflammation.
Thinking off the top of my head, Rice Krispies, peanut butter, applesauce, boiled chicken (I make chicken salad this way), soup with crackers, cottage cheese. You could get a non cow-milk for cereal if you are trying to avoid it.
Not sure why he/she said no cheese. Then again, some people avoid dairy.
Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited:
If you goggle 'low residue diet' you can find a list for foods that fall under that category. Most canned vegetables and fruit will be okay, and very few fresh ones. Cantaloupe (orange melon) and squash are two that I remember for sure.
Any refined grains should be okay, white rice, white bread, white pasta. everyone is different though. Stay away from seeds, skins, peels, whole grains.
You can buy a package of pudding and mix it up yourself instead of buying those little cups, SO true that you can't eat one! They are probably more like 80 cents for the same 4 servings. I make pudding with skim milk if I am worried about calories. The only problem is that it's still full of sugar, and sugar can increase inflammation.
Thinking off the top of my head, Rice Krispies, peanut butter, applesauce, boiled chicken (I make chicken salad this way), soup with crackers, cottage cheese. You could get a non cow-milk for cereal if you are trying to avoid it.
Not sure why he/she said no cheese. Then again, some people avoid dairy.
Hope that helps a bit.
Thanks!! That helps a BUNCH!!! ^_^
(also i was so sad when he said no cheese.. lol.. I'm like a cheeese fanatic! I would sit down and eat a block of cheese out of the packaging like it was candy bar or something. lol. If it were possible, I think i'm having cheese withdrawls. lol.. I crave cheese all the time. )
Hmm.. I wonder if the "sugar free" kind is worth giving a shot. (I totally forgot about there were boxed jello/pudding kinds, lol- I guess i've just gotten too used to simplicity lol)
I'm not really sure if i'm supposed to be staying away from milk as well. My thought was the cheese because of constipation issues (weird how we can put food, and poop in the same sentence and be okay with it. lol), but thinking on how i've read a few people here are on dairy restrictions or no dairy products.. I wonder if it's more to do with dairy.. which milk and cheese both have in them..
mmmm, chicken salad sounds so good right now! lol!
Thanks again :) :hug:

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
DARNIT! I spelled 'google' as 'goggle'!

Hmm.. I wonder if the "sugar free" kind is worth giving a shot.
Oh goody! Let me make it even more difficult for you! Artificial sweeteners can leech liquid into your intestines and make your poops runnier (or something like that). Not so much from a small amount like sugar free gum, but from a soda - for some people.
I swear we just can't win.
*shrug*

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Apparently old style cheddar cheese is supposed to be ok, but if your doctor says no, then I wouldn't do it. I love cheese too!

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Ramen is low res. It's my go to food during a flare, just change the water after you cook the noodles, and use fresh water when you make the broth.

I find sugar to be absolutely terrible for my tummy and there is a lot of research to suggest that it aggravates inflammation.
I'm on a modified low reside diet and a typical eating plan for me in a day is a banana or scrambled eggs for breakfast, baked chicken breast, steamed carrots and green beans and white rice for lunch and then baked fish and steamed veggies for dinner. I avoid all dairy, wheat, oils and fats and most sugars. It sounds incredibly boring but since being on it I have felt so much better with normal BMs & no pain :D
I also want to make a note that it's important to take some sort of multivitamin when on the low residue diet to make sure you're getting the vitamins and minerals your body needs to heal :)

Thanks everyone :D! ^_^
I need a cheese craver's anonomous. *Sighs* ...
Ohhh wiki! ^o^ I have that loading in the next tabbed window. Thankies!
Ramen is okay? sweet!!! ^o^ I didn't think it would be from all I hear from society of it being so loaded in msg and bad for your health. I'm soooo jumping on that train tho. Ramen is cheap, and i likes it too!

Wow; I still haven't decided if I want normal bm's and no pain, or eat what I want.. But things like the chicken, and fish... mmmmm... sounds so good! But, I don't find it boring. Because the boring part of my life is spent in the bathroom. So I guess any food schedules, no matter what they were would not be as boring as BR Time.
Hmm.. And thanks. I actually was not told that by anyone- the multivitimin thing. Maybe that's why I suddenly was lacking so much in my potassium (which I'd never had an issue with until my first hospitalization). I'll have to check with my doc and see which one she recogmends (due to i seem to recall also in my first hospitalization (last month)(though i was very morphiened and tylonaled up along with ambiene. lol) my gi doc telling me to not take any multivitimns, or stool softerners, or nsaids, or a few other things which i just heard sounds of him talking and later put together 'right i got it, don't take anything that hasn't been prescribed to me.' lol ) , and i'm also on iron/calcium suppliment right now, and told to hold off on the potassium since my runs have turned into the plugs (if you catch my drift. lol!)). - erm, here I go rambling on again. Sorry about that.
Anyways, yeah, I'm gonna ask about that, and see what vitimins are best for me to gather up at the store with all the other meds i'm on.
I feel like going 'squeee!!!' for you hence you feeling so much better on your food schedule.- oooo! wait! I think i saw a graphic with that in it! *goes to search* :mbh: (umm.. okay.. close enough lol!)

Grocery shoppin was put off until wednesday night, (i have a busy day wed. first physical therapy, then mental therapy (therapist), then shopping. lol) But I already have a list in the makings (which is a lot more than my previous shopping experiences had really had, lol)

:pika:*hypers*:shifty-t: :yoshijumpjoy: :mario2:

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Just remember with the ramen to change the water after you cook the noodles, a lot of the garbage stuff leaches out into the cooking water.

Ramen is by no means healthy. But the stuff that makes it bad for you can help in a flare. It is high in sodium, but when you are in a flare there will probably be a lot of D. Which causes a deficiency in electrolytes, this helps replace some of them because of the salt. So it can help on that front. It also has no fiber in it and low res is basically about avoiding fiber. You'll still need supplements, because it has no nutrients, just empty calories.

On a side note, checkout ramenbox.com. I can't order from them because they don't ship to Canada. It's a bity pricey, but they have a massive selection. If you do place an order I recommend the Mama pork flavour. There is a place near me that sells it. I was eating like 3 a day during my last flare.

Just remember with the ramen to change the water after you cook the noodles, a lot of the garbage stuff leaches out into the cooking water.

Ramen is by no means healthy. But the stuff that makes it bad for you can help in a flare. It is high in sodium, but when you are in a flare there will probably be a lot of D. Which causes a deficiency in electrolytes, this helps replace some of them because of the salt. So it can help on that front. It also has no fiber in it and low res is basically about avoiding fiber. You'll still need supplements, because it has no nutrients, just empty calories.

On a side note, checkout ramenbox.com. I can't order from them because they don't ship to Canada. It's a bity pricey, but they have a massive selection. If you do place an order I recommend the Mama pork flavour. There is a place near me that sells it. I was eating like 3 a day during my last flare.
ooo thanks! ^_^ I'll check that site out as well! *.* I never even thought of looking online with it before. ^.^

o.o You don't knows?
*o*
It's like noodles in a cup, or bowl (depending on what kind of brand you get), or packageing.
Inside the package comes flavoring (powder usually), and dried noodles.
*is having a bad time explain tho* :-\ meh needs sleep. lol

As far as I've learned, it's basically stay away from "roughage". Foods that send lots of undigested bits through your intestines, slicing to ribbons inflamed areas. vegetables, wheat bread, high fiber foods all seem to mess with me when i have a flare. Corn actually is the only thing I've ever found to give me a bout even when I'm feeling 100%.

If you can move from ramen to Udon, that'd be great for you. Udon noodles are really filling and good. I can often find a 3 pack for 3 bucks. pillsburry biscuits and honey also keep me good company.