• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Starting 6MP

I'll be starting 6MP this week (along with another round of Entocort), and I'm nervous. Although I've heard good things about this medication, I had hoped that I could control my Crohn's through diet, which doesn't seem to be the case, as I'm flaring again. Accepting that I probably won't live without medication is hard.

Any encouragement/success stories related to 6MP?

I understand you being nervous , but you have to be positive. Maybe this will be the medicine that makes you feel better. I have tried every medicine that I am aware of for crohns and ended up on Tysabi. That medicine made me very nervous, but it has helped me. Keep your chin up and let's see how you feel after you start. Good luck

kiny

Was on it for a short period as a kid (imuran), make sure you protect yourself from the sun or try to limit sun exposure when possible, the biggest issue is DNA damage of the skin on 6MP (any damage should go away as long as you limit sun exposure) Hopefully you feel better.

Was on it for a short period as a kid (imuran), make sure you protect yourself from the sun or try to limit sun exposure when possible, the biggest issue is DNA damage of the skin on 6MP (any damage should go away as long as you limit sun exposure) Hopefully you feel better.
Thank you for the advice, kiny.

Remember it can take a few months for 6MP to work which is why you are probably on another stretch of entocort. I really hope 6MP brings you some relief and no med is forever, maybe 6MP can get you to a place where you can once again consider diet as your main treatment!

Remember it can take a few months for 6MP to work which is why you are probably on another stretch of entocort. I really hope 6MP brings you some relief and no med is forever, maybe 6MP can get you to a place where you can once again consider diet as your main treatment!
I hope this won't be forever, and am staying positive and am willing to try. I'm not worried about the Entocort so much, as it did help the first time around, with little side effects. Thank you for the encouragement!

hawkeye

Staff member
I've been on Imuran since 1991, had good success with it, aside from a few courses of prednisone between 2009 and 2012.

I, too, am most likely going to start 6mp this week. I'm with you on being nervous about it. I'm taking Entocort 9 mg and Prednisone 30 mg daily right now. Hopefully, when we get this new med started, we will get some relief. :)

I, too, am most likely going to start 6mp this week. I'm with you on being nervous about it. I'm taking Entocort 9 mg and Prednisone 30 mg daily right now. Hopefully, when we get this new med started, we will get some relief. :)
Wishing you luck with it! *hug*

I am on 75 mg of Asacol and also Asacol and I am doing great. However, it took time and patience. It generally takes between 3 to 6 months for 6mp to work - for me it took 5 months. While I waited for the 6mp to work, I was on Asacol, Entocort, and sometimes, Prednisone, when I did not feel well. I weaned off the Prednisone. My GI doctors next had me wean off the Entocort by increasing my 6mp dosage to 100mg. This worked. However, the higher 6mp dosage lowered my white blood count so my dosage was gradually reduced to 75 mg, which is where I am now.

I really hope that 6mp works for both of you. It takes patience; but for me, it was well worth the wait and it was a great way to get off the steroid medications.