• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira & Crohns

Hi

I have had crohns for 24 years and will start Humira tomorrow for the first time. Does anybody have experience of what to roughly expect?

Thanks

Phoenix

Hi

I have had crohns for 24 years and will start Humira tomorrow for the first time. Does anybody have experience of what to roughly expect?

Thanks

Phoenix
Good morning I'm sorry I can't comment on any meds as I have only recently been diagnosed so waiting to see GI about treatment but I have found this forum really helpful as the people here offer lots of advice both on fact and their own personal experiences so I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can offer you their thoughts! Wishing you all the best in your treatment :)

I was on Humira for 5 years and it was a godsend. The injection hurts but it's only for 20 seconds and then it's over. It can take a month or 2 for it to kick in. I had no side effects and haven't heard of any. I hope it works for you

I've been on the standard 40mg of Humira every other week since August 2014. The loading doses actually weren't terrible for me. Although the Humira is working, the standard dose isn't sufficient, and I'm also on 150mg of Imuran. I haven't had any noticeable side effects from either of these meds. They can take a few months to kick in.

In regards to the Humira, they offer the injection pens or the prefilled syringes. I've heard the syringes aren't as painful, as you can control the flow of the meds, but I prefer the ease of the pens. In my experience, the tops of my thighs have been the most comfortable place to inject. It also helps to let the meds warm up for about 30 minutes before injecting them. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do, it's just going to hurt, and sometimes I barely feel it.

Having said all of that, don't be concerned with the pain. It only lasts about 10 seconds, and if your body takes to the Humira, it will be well worth 10 seconds every two weeks.

I've been on the H fo almost 6 years. It has given me back my life. A few seconds of stinging is a very small price to pay if you get the same benefit I have gotten from it.

Good Luck!

Hi, I was on humira for a year odds during 2012/2013 and it worked a treat for me. I was taken off it as my bowel looked great during a colonoscopy. But 2.5 years down the line I'm now back on it. Although I'm not particularly symptomatic, I do need it as my bowel is inflammed again.

First time round I had literally no side effects and I'm hoping it's the same this time! Back on it now for 4 weeks and looking forward to feeling even better.

Good luck, hope it works great for you.

Wendy

Hi, I was on humira for a year odds during 2012/2013 and it worked a treat for me. I was taken off it as my bowel looked great during a colonoscopy. But 2.5 years down the line I'm now back on it. Although I'm not particularly symptomatic, I do need it as my bowel is inflammed again.

First time round I had literally no side effects and I'm hoping it's the same this time! Back on it now for 4 weeks and looking forward to feeling even better.

Good luck, hope it works great for you.

Wendy
Did your doctor do the stool test called fecal calprotectin? Sometimes, there can be issues stopping a biologic and restarting, Wishing the best for you

I just had my third dose of humira and not much change. I'm also on weekly methotrexate injections. Bit of nausea and lots of fatigue are my main issues. Also, I prefer the pre-filled syringes vrs the auto injector pen. By mistake, my pharmacy had given me the pens but I hadn't noticed until I got home. So I rolled with it, thinking it can't be that big a deal. First pen was a fail...scared me so bad when I pushed the button and made this loud click sound combined with the sudden jab of its needle, that I screeched and jumped, which led to me not holding it down against what little bit of fat on my abdomen that I had managed to find, and the Humira emptied out rolling down my stomach and leg. I was traumatized. Lol bawling like a wimp. Haha Anyhow, called the pharmacy and was calmed down and told to use the other pen, cuz I only had the two, and suggested I sit and use it on my thigh. Wasn't happy to have to do it again but I sucked it up. It definitely hurts more than self injecting but stings either way. Anyhow, at least I got it in. Never using those things again. Ugh.

Did your doctor do the stool test called fecal calprotectin? Sometimes, there can be issues stopping a biologic and restarting, Wishing the best for you
Hi, yes they done that test twice and the results were sky high which is why I had to get another colonoscopy, which showed active inflammation, even although I wasn't feeling too bad.

I suppose time will tell, thanks very much for replying.
Thanks
Wendy x

3 doses probably isn't long enough to see results. It took a solid 3 months for it to kick in for me. When it did, it gave me 5 good years