• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What is the effect of Humira without Azathioprine

Hi

I should start Humira in a few weeks,
I think that most people are using Humira with Azathioprine.

I'm azathioprine intolerant (same for Mercaptopurine),

So I'm wondering what happen when you don't take both together !?

Is Humira less effective without Azathioprine ? or it will not last as long as it should ? or you just have more chance to stay in remission when you take both of them?

thanks !

There were some studies awhile back that showed humira in combination with Imuran, 6mp or methotrexate had efficacy at preventing antibodies to the humira. Some people require combo therapy to treat there CD as well. But there are a number of people that do fine for years on just a biologic.

theOcean

Like Clash said, many people do fine on just a biologic! It really depends on your case, and why you needed to be on combination therapy -- if it was to prevent build-up of antibodies, or if it's because you need both to keep your Crohn's in remission. I'm a case where I need to be on both Humira and an immunosuppressant, or I start getting symptoms again, but my case is also pretty severe.

If you are someone who starts getting symptoms again when you go off of it, you could look into Methotrexate, which is different from 6mp/Imuran while still being an immunosuppressant. You probably wouldn't have the same intolerance to it.

Question is have you ever had a biologic? Methotrexate in my case was prescribed to handle the anti bodies that the body develops against the biologic. ( I was on Remicadee at one point and rejected it.)
With MTX and Humira the adjustment period was rough for me. From Foliculitis to no energy, passing out at work ( I worked with family at the time, so not a big deal.) But it's worth the roughs pot I went through. I am 18 pounds over weight and healthy.

Like Clash said, many people do fine on just a biologic! It really depends on your case, and why you needed to be on combination therapy -- if it was to prevent build-up of antibodies, or if it's because you need both to keep your Crohn's in remission. I'm a case where I need to be on both Humira and an immunosuppressant, or I start getting symptoms again, but my case is also pretty severe.

If you are someone who starts getting symptoms again when you go off of it, you could look into Methotrexate, which is different from 6mp/Imuran while still being an immunosuppressant. You probably wouldn't have the same intolerance to it.
Question is have you ever had a biologic? Methotrexate in my case was prescribed to handle the anti bodies that the body develops against the biologic. ( I was on Remicadee at one point and rejected it.)
With MTX and Humira the adjustment period was rough for me. From Foliculitis to no energy, passing out at work ( I worked with family at the time, so not a big deal.) But it's worth the roughs pot I went through. I am 18 pounds over weight and healthy.
OK ! thanks everyone !

I'm just out of my 3rd surgery, and it's to prevent the next one :)
My Dr told me that I should try to take Methotrexate for the first 6 months with Humira.

How long for adjustment the period ? thanks

There were some studies awhile back that showed humira in combination with Imuran, 6mp or methotrexate had efficacy at preventing antibodies to the humira. Some people require combo therapy to treat there CD as well. But there are a number of people that do fine for years on just a biologic.
Interesting, thank you for sharing. I've been on biologics only for the last 2 years and built up tolerance first to Remicade, and now I suspect the same for Humira (currently trying to get a blood test to find out). My GI tried 6mp but I was intolerant to it (extreme nausea/vomiting).

theOcean

Interesting, thank you for sharing. I've been on biologics only for the last 2 years and built up tolerance first to Remicade, and now I suspect the same for Humira (currently trying to get a blood test to find out). My GI tried 6mp but I was intolerant to it (extreme nausea/vomiting).

Remicade is much easier to build up a tolerance to because it's made from mouse protein... Humira is a humanized protein (as are most other biologics now) so it's much less likely with it. Good luck, though!

OK ! thanks everyone !

I'm just out of my 3rd surgery, and it's to prevent the next one :)

My Dr told me that I should try to take Methotrexate for the first 6 months with Humira.

How long for adjustment the period ? thanks

It takes three months to get to a therapeutic level!

my little penguin

Staff member
Antibodies can happen against any of the biologics
The only thing that is higher for remicade is the allergic reaction rate since its derived from murine protein.
Testing can be done to determine if an individual developed antibodies to remicade or Humira.
The presence of antibodies does not mean an allergic reaction will occur.
Also the lack of antibodies doesn't mean an allergic reaction won't occur .

On humira without azathioprine.
Also my first biologic - never took remicade.
It was suggested at first to go with combo therapy, but i was scared of the side effects with combo and preferred to start with just Humira.

My daughter is about to start Humira and she also had an allergic reaction to Azathioprine. Keep posting and let us know how it goes with the MTX and Humira combo.

I hope it works for you!