• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

PhD Study - Need UCers urgently!

Hi everyone,

My name is Lawrence and I am a first year PhD Student in Health Psychology, currently collecting data for my first study on adaptation to IBD. I myself have had Crohn's Disease for almost 10 years so appreciate how awful IBD is and felt I wanted to dedicate my life to improving the knowledge base and understanding in this area for future patients.

This study is a 20-30 minute interview by phone about how you have adapted to living with UC over the years. Qustions are based on how patients felt about their diagnosis at the time of being diagnosed and how they feel now, what actions they've taken to adapt to their illness, and what factors have helped them adapt.

The only inclusion criteria are that you live in the UK, are over 18 years of age, and have had UC for a minimum of 2 years.

I've interviewed all the Crohn's patients I need, but am finding it more difficult to find UCers! I need about 8 more until I can start analysing and doing my write up.

If anyone is even the slightest bit interested in taking part then please, please do reply and I can send you an e-mail with some more information. Just to clarify, this study has received ethical approval from my University.

Thanks in advance, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Lawrence.

* This member has been approved by an Administrator to post this message. *

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure what I have... Can I take part??
It started as a UC diagnosis and theres no small intestine involvement :)
I'm soooo into research - did my MSc a couple years ago, it fascinates me :)

I'm not sure what I have... Can I take part??
It started as a UC diagnosis and theres no small intestine involvement :)
I'm soooo into research - did my MSc a couple years ago, it fascinates me :)
Hi Gail!

Thanks so much for replying!
If it started as a UC diagnosis and you've had no definite change in the diagnosis since then, then I think you would be fine to take part.
I'll PM you and we can talk more and hopefully get you involved! :)

Not from UK but I'm Canadian and part of the commonwealth, plus your Queen is on our 20$ bills.

Does that count? :D
haha!! afraid not but I liked the message nonetheless. Is the Queen actually on your $20 bill?! that's cool! I've been to Canada and never noticed!!

Last time she came on a tour it cost the tax payers 22 million dollars for security, a lot of people had a problem with that all over the country.

9 months on and I've finally got this study finished pretty much! Just wanted to say thank you to you all for responding. The paper's been accepted into a health psychology journal providing some revisions are made so that's where it's at - research takes a longggg time!!! There will be further studies coming up soon that you US people can join in with, they'll be online questionnaire based!