• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fecal Calprotectin Test

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
I thought I posted this earlier, but I can't find it. Can anyone tell me how much stool I need to collect for this test and the best way to go about getting it?:poop:

Not really sure about amount, I tend to try have the little pot at least half full. The nurse usually gives us a foil bowl or sick bowl :ybiggrin: to catch it in, a pair of gloves and a wooden tongue depresser to pick it up with. Lovely!

crohnsinct

A hat is an IBD mom's must have. Put it on the toilet and just wait. No last minute running. Works like a charm. If she just pee's dump it and put hat right back in. THey sell them at pretty much any pharmacy.

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes when my husband called me at work to ask me how to get the stool sample. I explained the hat and that the stool needed to be transferred to the collection bottle. When he asked how he was supposed to do it, I told him about the two little sticks in the bag, but then it struck me so funny I couldn't stop laughing! Just picturing him trying to pick up a poop with two little chopsticks... :rof::poop:

Now I'm laughing because this was my husbands job and he had a handkerchief tied around his face and was scooping it out of the hat and I was standing in the background laughing because it brought home a memory of when Jack was a baby and had just started eating some rice cereal and some baby food. I had to go out and left him home with dad and when I came home to an awful stench and Dad was changing him and had the kerchief tied around his face and just looked at me and said he wont stop pooping. I looked over on the high chair to see an entire jar of prunes gone - he fed him the whole thing! His excuse but he liked it.

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
now i'm laughing because this was my husbands job and he had a handkerchief tied around his face and was scooping it out of the hat and i was standing in the background laughing because it brought home a memory of when jack was a baby and had just started eating some rice cereal and some baby food. I had to go out and left him home with dad and when i came home to an awful stench and dad was changing him and had the kerchief tied around his face and just looked at me and said he wont stop pooping. I looked over on the high chair to see an entire jar of prunes gone - he fed him the whole thing! His excuse but he liked it.
lol!

Well now that I think about it, my husband has been missing out on that little treat. Johnny has a fecal cal test next month, I will have to let the hubby field that one. Sadly, I do worry he might do it wrong. :rof:

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
Well now that I think about it, my husband has been missing out on that little treat. Johnny has a fecal cal test next month, I will have to let the hubby field that one. Sadly, I do worry he might do it wrong. :rof:
How wrong can he be? It is just scooping some feces into a container, right? It is so worth the reaction!:ylol2::runaway::poop:

I left this one to my husband with the first set, he got Liam to do it under supervision. Liam's now had 3 sets of stool tests and is very proficient at this process and is very proficient at the process so I guess I've escaped this one.