• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Small bowel MRI

How effective is an MRI of small bowel in distinguishing between IBS and IBD... had colonoscopy which showed inflammation and an ulcer but consultant not convinced it's IBD so now having mri

It's hard to say - my MRI scan recently was normal, as was my CT scan last year, however my colonoscopy found inflammation and ulcers consistent with Crohn's disease. However, other people have been successfully diagnosed after an MRI scan. IBS does not cause ulcers.

It's hard to say - my MRI scan recently was normal, as was my CT scan last year, however my colonoscopy found inflammation and ulcers consistent with Crohn's disease. However, other people have been successfully diagnosed after an MRI scan. IBS does not cause ulcers.

Thanks got my results today my MRI was normal my consultant said that may colonoscopy showed ulcers but they are common so not convinced I have Crohns now have to see a dietitian as he thinks ibs[emoji20]

Thanks got my results today my MRI was normal my consultant said that may colonoscopy showed ulcers but they are common so not convinced I have Crohns now have to see a dietitian as he thinks ibs[emoji20]
Really? Gastric ulcers are common, bowel ulcers not so much. It's also my understanding that IBS doesn't show up as inflammation and ulceration on a colonoscopy...Be an advocate for yourself, this doesn't make sense to me. If I was you, I'd get a second opinion. Not sure what your other symptoms are but I bet your borderline IBD. If so trust me you don't want to get any worse. IBD is best caught early.

Really? Gastric ulcers are common, bowel ulcers not so much. It's also my understanding that IBS doesn't show up as inflammation and ulceration on a colonoscopy...Be an advocate for yourself, this doesn't make sense to me. If I was you, I'd get a second opinion. Not sure what your other symptoms are but I bet your borderline IBD. If so trust me you don't want to get any worse. IBD is best caught early.
Amen

Sorry this is a long story.

My problems started back in June when I noticed I was going to the loo way too much. In July I took my son into town and things where so bad I had multiple accidents in the one day so I went to the doctor the next day.
My GP referred me for a colonoscopy. Had my colonoscopy on 6th September and on my report it stated
'Mild patchy inflammation of Villi in TI with single aphthous ulcer. Await histology. If histology shows inflammation, will benefit from starting mesalazine and IBD referral'

well the histology took 6 weeks to come back. Called my doctors they advised it showed very mild inflammation and referred me to IBD, when I asked what it could be my doctor was not convinced of Crohns but said not IBS definitely not colitis but it looks like IBD. Saw my consultant 4 weeks ago bearing in mind this all got bad in July and we are now in mid October and things have started to settle back down again. My consultant said he was not convinced I have Crohns he thought IBS advised I take fybogel and colpermin. Started taking the fybogel, it makes me feel very sick but does help to reduce toilet visits, the colpermin helps with cramps but doesn't touch the pain. Consultant also referred me for MRI and faecal calprotectin test. The MRI was normal and the day I did the faecal test was the first day in months I had had a normal bowl movement that came back at 30 so I'm normal levels. Went back yesterday to see my consultant he said although I am still having problems he doesn't want to put a label on what I have he believes it's IBS not convinced I have Crohns. When asked about my colonoscopy he said that ulcers are normal in that part of the bowl, didn't acknowledge the inflammation and said he hasn't see the pictures from the colonoscopy he would have to do another one if I am still worried about Crohns. My symptoms are:

Going to loo 4-6 times normal day bad day upto 12 times good day 1-2

I have blood shot eyes most mornings

I have dull pain that doesn't go away on my left and right side of my bowl which can get unbearable at times

I on occasion have a very small amount of blood in my poo

And almost constant lower back pain

And tired all the time

My options from my consultant where to take fibre tablets or 1 Imodium at night for possibly rest of my life or referral to dietitian to see if we can control it with food.
I feel like a hypochondriac and just don't know what to do I'm so lost just feel like I'm not really getting any answers, anything explained and going round in circles

How effective is an MRI of small bowel in distinguishing between IBS and IBD... had colonoscopy which showed inflammation and an ulcer but consultant not convinced it's IBD so now having mri
I find this interesting because I was initially diagnosed with IBD (UC) with a colonoscopy in 2006. The biopsies were what confirmed that I had it. Fast forward to last year when they determined I have Crohn's, not UC. That's when a small bowel CT with contrast made the difference for a diagnosis, but it was just the form of IBD, not a yes/no decision.

Also, in the last few months, we've discovered that I have IBD and IBS. So, just because you have one doesn't exclude the other.

sometimes you have to be your own advocate. Educated yourself, and you may find that you're the teacher and the doc is the student. I had to tell me doctor i needed an MRI if he cant find the bleed, I told him to do the serum level test for Remicade. to find out how far i can go or if the serum runs out completely in 8 weeks. I never liked Jersey (USA) doctors. Should go to the city for better doctors. do some research, ask patients. learn and live better .. and if need be replace your doc who think your his guiena pig.