• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Prednisone

I started taking prednisone today, after a really bad past month, and the last week being even worse. I start on 40 mg/day for a week, and then decrease by 5mg each week. So I will be on it for 8 week.

My biggest concern right now is that I am getting married in 8 week + 1 day. So I will be off of Pred for only one day at my wedding. I am really worried about the weight issues that pred can cause. :( I have my dress fitting next week and would like to be able to fit it on my wedding day!

I have a diet plan set out to eat really low sodium, extra potassium and to monitor my caloric intake. I also go the gym with my sister and bike ride with my fiance, so I am going to make a very dedicated effort to ensure I am exercising every day (obviously as dictated by my comfort level leaving the house and exercising without running for the nearest bathroom).

Is there anything else that you guys do to avoid the weight changes?

Also... I just started it this morning, but I have already seen a big difference. 3 days ago I was having 16 episodes of D each day, 2 days ago I stopped eating (couldnt handle the pain) and still had 8 episodes, yesterday was still no food and 8 times. I ate a bit last night (1/2 a plate of rice). This morning I had 3 washroom trips before breakfast. I took prednisone at breakfast, and I have not been to the washroom since then. It is weirding me out. lol. How fast does it usually work?

Steroids usually work very quickly. The first time I was on them, I felt better within a week. For weight gain, you usually need to be on them for an extended period of time. The main thing is they should see you feeling well to enjoy your wedding. My surgeon said that if the effects were noticeable, after four years I looked like a gerbil, then they weren't working.

theOcean

It sounds like you have the right idea on prednisone. I actually don't gain weight on it, just a bit of water weight in my face but it's pretty minimal and comes off quickly. Just try and keep your portion sizes under control if it makes you extra hungry!

And yep, it usually works that fast. It's a terrible but effective medication.

Pred seemed to work immediately with my son. Even his blood work was normal 6 days after starting it.

My son really only showed a little extra weight in the face. Sodium reduction should definitely help. It also goes away just a few weeks after you stop taking it. It did make his face look different, not bad but not like himself. Maybe get a few pictures for the wedding early? My son was on it for 12 weeks so maybe his was a bit more noticeable. I would definitely trade the cheeks for how much better the Prednisone made him feel, but I completely understand your concerns. Hopefully you won't have any issues.

I don't generally gain much weight on prednisone until towards the end of the taper, and an 8 week course isn't considered too long, so fingers crossed you won't gain any! Also, if this is your first time on Pred, don't be upset if tapering off takes a few weeks longer as you may have to slow it down and go 2 weeks at a time towards the end. Sometimes tapering off will bring on symptoms again, and you may be better off delaying any of that until after the wedding anyway? Best of luck for the wedding, I know you will be feeling much better for it and that's the most important thing.

It sounds like you're doing everything right. I'm on week three of pred and watching my diet and exercise, so far my weight has stabilised rather than increased. Hope you feel amazing for your wedding

I'm seeing the weight issue is different for everyone. I have to say I'm wicked jealous of the people who haven't really gained weight or who have had a loss of appetite on this drug!:tongue: I've been freaking out because I gained almost 20lbs in a month - and this is with tapering. I was on 60 mg for over a month and that doesn't include 2 hospital stays where I was on IV steroids of 80 mg. The weight gain and moon face didn't start until after I was on the Prednisone for about a month and a half. I also was not aware at the time of being put on it the side effects associated with Prednisone and it seems that you are being very proactive. At my last doctor's appointment, I expressed my concern about the weight gain and my doctor pretty much told me it didn't matter what I did or didn't eat, I was going to gain weight regardless because of the steroids. So hopefully your body reacts differently than mine and that you won't have any issues with fitting into your wedding dress on your wedding day!

My 11 year old started prednisone. The results have been really good. She started getting red cheeks. Is this normal?

Holly

theOcean

Just like she has a little blush, not bad but a change.
Then it may just be some rosacea. Check her Vitamin D levels, since that has some links to it. Otherwise, it may mean there's something up with her gut flora -- there's also a link between it and small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO).

My GI warned me that I would put on weight with prednisone and to watch what I ate. I put back on the 9kg I lost in a flare and was able to stabilise at my normal weight. I did more portion control than exercise - was too sick at that stage to think about heading to the gym. I ended up doing a 3 month taper down from 50mg a day and have now be steroid free for 2.5 months (steroids didn't work for me so I've ended up on remicade and salofalk granules).

Holly bring it up with the GI the next time you see him/her. No need for panic but good to keep an eye on it.

I hear ya on gaining weight on prednisone! My kid just gained 5 lbs in one week. Now she really needed the weight, and would be good if she gained another 20+ but like all rapid weight loss/ gain it never is where you want the weight. My munchkin thinks she aimed 3 lbs in her face alone!

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support! I have felt much much better since being on the prednisone, and I am very pleased with it. I am curious though, I have been on it 9 days now (went down by 5 mg on Friday), and I have had no abdominal pain since the first day. I have, however, still not had a solid BM. They are not bad diarrhea, but they are still loose. I hate going to the GI, and I feel like I just bother his nurse when I call (she is great, I am overly conscientious). Is this something that is concerning, or to be expected? I am a little terrified of high fibre foods, but I see on different sites that they are used to 'bulk up' stools a little more. Thoughts?

theOcean

No, I don't think it's concerning. Over time the loose BMs should probably stop, but I know when I had my last severe flare it took awhile for that to happen for me. While you're in flare, you should stick to a low-residue diet and avoid high-fibre foods, because that tends to just aggravate people with IBD more when it's active. Once you're feeling healthy again you can start adding fibre back to your diet.

What you can do, though, is try to eat food that naturally has potassium in it, since you're probably low on potassium from the loose bowel movements anyway. It will also help with the diarrhea in a way that won't bother your body.

I have not had a solid BM since being diagnosed with Crohn's in January and I've been on Prednisone since February....I never even thought of that as being a concern. I'm just happy that I'm not going to the bathroom 15+ times a day anymore. I'm currently on a low residue diet and I'm slowly starting to add in different foods.