• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How much more does ONE person have to go through???

My best friend was diagnosed with Crohn's several years ago. After trying everything under the sun to prevent from having an ileostomy she was at her lowest low. She weighed 83 lbs and was told have to surgery or die. She had issues that I'm sure everyone has. She was scared her husband wouldn't want to be with her anymore with a "bag" attached to her side. She finally had the surgery and for awhile hated EVERYONE who told her she needed to go ahead and have the surgery. Slowly and I mean s-l-o-w-l-y she started feeling better about herself and started to forgive "all of us people that didn't understand". Now 6 years later she is back in the hospital worse than ever and I am scared to death as to what might happen not just physically but mentally. She started having a lot of pain so they started the Humira and remicade tretments put her pick line back in, yadda yadda yadda.... They ran a scope in her stoma but realized it was blocked by scar tissue and "fixed" the issue only for her to start bleeding so bad that they had coolers of blood lined up beside her bed. I think in all she had about 10 pints of blood. They rushed her to the OR to try to find the source of the bleeding and out of no where the bleeding stopped. The last I heard they were going to do a surgery in the next couple weeks to move the stoma because of the scar tissue but won't more scar tissue just form in that stoma? I don't understand I feel so helpless and I know my friend is mad at the world right now. I don't what I am suppose to do.
#worried,scared,confused,angry,sad,frustrated

Oh wow, I am so sorry for what your poor friend has had to endure. That is just awful. I can understand her feelings of being mad and frustrated with the world and even with her doctors. I think western medicine is a blessing and a curse in a lot of ways. I mean they try and fix things only to end up making them worse it seems.

Has your friend tried seeing a naturopathic doctor at all for her IBD? I am not sure if this would help her or not, just from what you have said, it seems that the doctors have just made her worse, not better. I really feel for your friend and hope and pray she gets the help she needs so she can get better... All you can do is be there for her and be supportive to her. It is only natural she would be mad at everyone and everything. She has went through hell and back it seems. My heart goes out to her....

My best friend was diagnosed with Crohn's several years ago. After trying everything under the sun to prevent from having an ileostomy she was at her lowest low. She weighed 83 lbs and was told have to surgery or die. She had issues that I'm sure everyone has. She was scared her husband wouldn't want to be with her anymore with a "bag" attached to her side. She finally had the surgery and for awhile hated EVERYONE who told her she needed to go ahead and have the surgery. Slowly and I mean s-l-o-w-l-y she started feeling better about herself and started to forgive "all of us people that didn't understand". Now 6 years later she is back in the hospital worse than ever and I am scared to death as to what might happen not just physically but mentally. She started having a lot of pain so they started the Humira and remicade tretments put her pick line back in, yadda yadda yadda.... They ran a scope in her stoma but realized it was blocked by scar tissue and "fixed" the issue only for her to start bleeding so bad that they had coolers of blood lined up beside her bed. I think in all she had about 10 pints of blood. They rushed her to the OR to try to find the source of the bleeding and out of no where the bleeding stopped. The last I heard they were going to do a surgery in the next couple weeks to move the stoma because of the scar tissue but won't more scar tissue just form in that stoma? I don't understand I feel so helpless and I know my friend is mad at the world right now. I don't what I am suppose to do.
#worried,scared,confused,angry,sad,frustrated

I am so sorry for your friend and glad she has someone like you to care enough to listen and keep up with her condition. It's hard when you withdraw into yourself because your body is no longer the one you recognize. I'm glad that you stood by her and didn't let her anger get in the way of her friendship. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and for her!!

May God bless you for being there for your friend! My son has the ileostomy and he can' t wait to have it reversed. My worry is just that of what your friend went thru. What if it gets worse? What if the pain starts again? The pain is what terrorize me, still remember his screaming each time he had a bowel. Nobody deserves to go thru this, Please God have mercy!