• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What Vitamins/Supplements do you take?

Just wondering the combination of vitamins you all take. I'm trying to find the best for me. Also, what is the best natural anti-inflammatory vitamin to take?

Everyday I take:

Garden of Life multi for men
Garden of Life D3
B12 patch

Assuming you only want to know about vitamins. Others can provide more insight into which vitamins are particularly beneficial for inflammation. I mostly take vitamins to shore up my deficiencies.

Have you not had your vitamin levels checked?
I have blood work done every three months because I'm on Imuran, but they also do my vitamin levels at the same time. Currently I'm on ferrous glutonate, calcium, zinc, Vitamin C, B12 and D, because those are the ones I'm low on. Nutrient deficiencies are associated with Crohn's.

I see a lot of people takes garden of life. What makes it so special?
The company was founded by a man who had a severe case of crohns. In my experience the products are always high quality and really seem to work. I also really like that I can unscrew the capsules the vitamins come in and add them to my juice at breakfast.

What I take are:

* Enough vitamin D3 to reach a testing level between 50 to 70ng/ml
* A couple kelp tablets for thyroid health
* Vitamin K2-4 and K2-7
* Fish oil
* Some magnesium
* 10mgs of Pregnenolone
* 3mgs of time release melatonin

I'm on imuran also so I do have blood work done periodically. What kind of test is it to see what vitamins you lack? Do you see a nutritionist?

I've had nutrition testing done by working with my general doctor in the past.

I've also used independent testing labs such as Direct Labs

https://www.directlabs.com/Default.aspx?&catid=95&language=en-US&tabid=55

What I've also found helpful are the home nutritional/ hormone tests. They are convenient in that the test can be done at home, with donating a drop of blood or some saliva. I've purchased home testing kits at:

https://shop.trackyourplaque.com/Category/1/Home_Blood_Tests.aspx

and for vitamin D3

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/testing-for-vitamin-d/

Asked my GI about this and I guess each vitamin and Mineral for the most part is its own bloodwork. There isnt any mass vitamin test. Least what I was told.

kiny

Nothing almost now, it's all in the EN. Only thing I take extra for supplements is some albumin protein powder and some creatine (very little) sometimes and sometimes a multivitamin. That's about it atm.

I do get B12 when needed.

Because I had anaemia for a long time and try to avoid it down the line: 2x80mg iron and folic acid pills and 1x80mg dissolvable iron and vit C supplemental pill.

Because I do quite a lot of sport: magnesium, zinc, potassium, b6, b12 combination pill

Because I know it's key to keep you in remission, vitamin D pill

And lastly, milk 5 times per week (mostly with cornflakes) and an apples, banana, pear a day or a combination thereof as a calcium and other vitamin natural "supplement".

These I NEED daily:
5000 iu D3 daily, not sure if I'll keep it up in summer to fend off SI joint pain.
Probios 1-2 a day (B. Coagulans, Jarrow EPS, Kyo-dophilus 9, Primal Defense Ultra)
NAG (n-acetyl-glucosamine) 1 a day, aids caffeine addiction like no other.
Source Naturals Enteric Coated Ultra Potency Fish Oil, 2 Caps twice daily
Moducare (plant sterols) twice a day on empty stomach--generally keeps the immune system stable, highly recommend.
K complex
*LDN, nightly, I chop it down to 4mg--after a year of giving 4.5 a chance and toggling otherwise.

These when I remember:
Selenium Synergy (Methylselenocysteine) or Selenium Cruciferate
Atomidine (iodine)
Magnesium Malate
Sublingual B Complex

I'm probably forgetting something, but these are the essentials.

Last edited: