• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bowel Movement as soon as eyes open in morning

Every morning as soon as my eyes open I have intense abdominal pain that causes me to curl into a ball. I cannot lay in bed for any more than two minutes before having to run to the bathroom. Usually after I go once it is followed by a second time around a half hour later. I sometimes am awaken from my sleep from these pains followed by an urgent bowel movement. Does anyone else have this problem?

scottsma

I'm awakened by pain and urgency almost every morning,usually between 6 and 7am.
It continues for 2hrs or more,then settles down somewhat.

While flaring, I had at least 2 hours of bathroom time every morning starting as soon as I moved out of bed, and often woke up because I needed to go. Every day was timed out to allow at least 2 hours of bathroom time before needing to leave the house.

scottsma

Every morning as soon as my eyes open I have intense abdominal pain that causes me to curl into a ball. I cannot lay in bed for any more than two minutes before having to run to the bathroom. Usually after I go once it is followed by a second time around a half hour later. I sometimes am awaken from my sleep from these pains followed by an urgent bowel movement. Does anyone else have this problem?
Are you on any meds for crohns or IBD,and what is / was your diagnosis ?

I ask because when I saw my GI doc 2wks ago,he says it may be the Loperamide I take (on prescription) to slow down the urgency etc.I personally don't think it's that,as I'm careful to take less than the recommended daily dose,and try not to take it if I don't need to.I'm waiting for results of calopractin (?) tests at present.I was diagnosed with Proctitis 8yrs ago but now have mild inflammation higher up in the Splenic Flexure.

I'm currently taking omeprazolea and Lialda. And have inflammation in my rectum and sigmoid colon. It is a recent diagnosis that they are unfortunately still working on treating.

Kev

Try to see the upside, it could happen before your eyes opened. OK, kidding aside, I WAS an extremely sound sleeper... but, regardless, it was a blessing that no matter how soundly asleep I was, when my body needed to go, I would always wake up.. I dreaded the thought of having an accident while I slept. And, a trip lasting a couple of hours was typical. At my worst, I spent more time in the bathroom than anywhere else, including bed. It can be very depressing... dozens of trips to the bathroom each day, no end in sight. Thinking you were done, only to have to turn around and head right back in. And amazed, astonished, at how the body could possibly need to go so much, so often, etc..

All I can say... based on my experiences over the years... there will be better days ahead.

And, this disease can do a complete 180 without warning. The only thing I know of that is worse than constant diarrhea is suddenly finding oneself totally constipated. If that ever occurs, get yourself to a doctor immediately. Diarrhea is debilitating, but constipation can be downright dangerous.

scottsma

Ah,your diagnosis explains it.If you click on to the Proctitis support group under my avatar you might get more help.I hope you feel better soon.Try not to let it spoil your life.

I have this. Not as bad now but generally within .5h. Actually my first symptom was waking up early (anywhere from 5-8am) with and urgent need to go to the washroom and spending forever in there; or coming out then back in 15 min.

Many people have a natural body-clock that triggers an urge for a bowel movement first thing. Healthy people can suppress this urge subconsciously if it's not a convenient time for them. People with unhealthy digestive systems often cannot.

And, this disease can do a complete 180 without warning. The only thing I know of that is worse than constant diarrhea is suddenly finding oneself totally constipated. If that ever occurs, get yourself to a doctor immediately. Diarrhea is debilitating, but constipation can be downright dangerous.
Agree with this! For years I had diarrhoea and longed for the opposite: what could be worse than diarrhoea, which always has the potential for humiliating accidents and the major inconvenience of urgency, having to go right then, no matter what you're in the middle of doing, and most likely having to go very often?

Then I had severe constipation. :eek: The pain is like nothing else.... and it's not exactly a pain you can ask people for sympathy for, you can't treat it like stomach pain where you can clutch a hot water bottle to your stomach and curl up on the sofa. I think three hours of straining was my record. It's always "better out than in." So so glad I have a stoma now. Diarrhoea is so easy to deal with when you have a stoma, and constipation with an ileostomy I believe is physically impossible. Of course I still get stoma blockages and bowel obstructions.... the joy of this disease is never-ending. :rolleyes: