• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is this a flare up?! please help.

Hey friends,

I have in the past 2 days developed a deeper more nasty cough. Its to the point my stomach hurts to cough because its so constant. I have the red little bumps breaking out on my legs and have the ulcer sores in my mouth and feels like they could be down my throat. I have also gone from no bathroom problems to cant stay off the toliet. I suffer from severe Crohns and take Humeria every two weeks. I have felt fine and boom all this has popped up. It hurts to eat and swallow:( My GI was going to send me to the ER but he has me coming into his office today at 115.

If you have had a flare..how did you know? My bottom doesn't feel right, its so sore and yeahh....please anyone with any answers help me.

Thanks so much!!

Canker sores in the mouth indicate unbalanced flora in mouth. Suggest probiotics to help with that and gargling with either sea salt or hydrogen peroxide and water (temporarily hurst) as often as possible first day and perhaps 3 x next day. Clearly something has got you off balance or possibly having a reaction to something. May be flu bug or reaction to a med. So many viruses going around so best to have doc check for pneumonia, bronchitis or other problem. Feel better!

It is really hard to say. There are some especially bad viruses going around this year. I have had two friends go to the hospital with stomach pains and I know of lots of people who have had odd symptoms for weeks and it was just a weird virus. I don't think your symptoms absolutely sound like a flare and I suspect your doctor will want to give them a little while to see if it is a virus and works itself out. My son has had a weird sore throat with little sores so he is gargling with strong mouth wash and that has helped a lot.

Hope all goes well at the Dr.'s office today, let us know how you are feeling.

Tiffany

Canker sores in the mouth indicate unbalanced flora in mouth. Suggest probiotics to help with that and gargling with either sea salt or hydrogen peroxide and water (temporarily hurst) as often as possible first day and perhaps 3 x next day. Clearly something has got you off balance or possibly having a reaction to something. May be flu bug or reaction to a med. So many viruses going around so best to have doc check for pneumonia, bronchitis or other problem. Feel better!
Thank you! I went today and he has put me on a zpack and another antibiotic. He said its a viral infection(he thinks...) didn't do any blood work though...which was weird. Still haven't gotten results from xray he ordered. Hopefully, they call me tmrw morning with those results.

It is really hard to say. There are some especially bad viruses going around this year. I have had two friends go to the hospital with stomach pains and I know of lots of people who have had odd symptoms for weeks and it was just a weird virus. I don't think your symptoms absolutely sound like a flare and I suspect your doctor will want to give them a little while to see if it is a virus and works itself out. My son has had a weird sore throat with little sores so he is gargling with strong mouth wash and that has helped a lot.

Hope all goes well at the Dr.'s office today, let us know how you are feeling.

Tiffany
Thanks! I feel somewhat better..he said its viral and I cant return to work until Thursday. I have all this medicine to take and hopefully they call me in the morning with results from the xray. Hoping I feel better with the meds kicking in! :)

Also, forgot to mention.. he has me back on steroids:( the pack where I start with 6 and work my way down. I took these in 2010 and dropped to fast and was in the hospital for nine days. I hope it stays all good this time. Wish me luck! Well see how I'm feeling next week coming down off of them...

Would be good to remind your doc that last time you were withdraw too quickly and ha:rosette1:d to go in hospital. You want to be sure he checks the chart and does not have you on the same schedule. Stay on top of that one!

Would be good to remind your doc that last time you were withdraw too quickly and ha:rosette1:d to go in hospital. You want to be sure he checks the chart and does not have you on the same schedule. Stay on top of that one!
I am, thanks for reminding me. My mom who was around when I had the last fallout has warned me to just keep my pred with me just in case...its what I had left over from when I was on it for over 9months and tapering. So well see, hopefully this next 6 days worth wont harm me at all.

Thanks again.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
If its viral than the antibiotics wont do anything for you other than kill off all the bad and good bacteria in your body. Antibiotics should only be used when you know its a bacterial infection, not for a virus.

I had something similar with my throat but I had strep and the coughing was an pneumonia. Hope your x-rays come back clear. Stress on the body can kick start a flare or push a flare into something more severe and that could be what's causing your hives and adding to the bathroom breaks. If it continues past what a normal viral infection would (usually ~a week) then keep in contact with your GI.

If its viral than the antibiotics wont do anything for you other than kill off all the bad and good bacteria in your body. Antibiotics should only be used when you know its a bacterial infection, not for a virus.

I had something similar with my throat but I had strep and the coughing was an pneumonia. Hope your x-rays come back clear. Stress on the body can kick start a flare or push a flare into something more severe and that could be what's causing your hives and adding to the bathroom breaks. If it continues past what a normal viral infection would (usually ~a week) then keep in contact with your GI.
I def have been watching all signs that are going on. They never called me yesterday at all...so I'm guessing the chest xray came back just fine. The mess make me feel so blah...but my cough is trying to work its way up and out of my body is the good side of it. I just hope with taking this pred for the next 5 days, I don't have any withdrawal problems coming off of it.

Well see, and ill keep this thread updated. :) Thanks again!