• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sick for months, then well overnight???

Do your kids suffer for long periods of time and then, even without intervention, turn a corner overnight? This is my son's pattern and I don't get it. Severe, persistent nausea lifts and somewhat normal eating resumes. Appetite is poor in that most foods do not appeal to him, but the nausea is mostly gone as is early satiety.

The big picture over the last two years shows that each flare lasts longer than the previous ones. Is this what you see?

My son's flares never lasted past 2 weeks. He would be doubled over in pain and nauseous, then absolutely fine for ages, then doubled over for another week, then fine. Had a 2 week period in alot of pain and then gone again. Weird. Never understood how something could be so sore and then gone completely.

Think we're a yes with this too!! Over last 4 years have got longer and more frequent though x

Catherine

Sarah's flares lasted for about 24-48 hours, at first they were every 2-3 months, then monthly, then finally her last flare before dx was pain for 3 months.

Sarah's flares lasted for about 24-48 hours, at first they were every 2-3 months, then monthly, then finally her last flare before dx was pain for 3 months.
Yes! We thought our son was having school anxiety because at first his nausea lasted for less than 24 hours here and there. It wasn't until he was placed on homebound education and still having increasingly bad episodes that we realized this wasn't anxiety. I really feel guilty for having made him go to school nauseous to the point of vomiting.

my little penguin

Staff member
Before dx same here - lots of waxing and waning
Each time getting longer and more severe which lead to testing and finally dx.

I with all the other mums the flares get longer and more severe, and shorter in between , and we usually need strong pain relief and up the mess or bring the mess closer together . X