• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone take Lialda?

I am about to switch to Lialda from Apriso, and wondered if anyone has had experience with the Lialda. I qualified for Shire's patient assistance program, so I will be able to get it for free, compared to $200 a month for the Apriso. I'm hoping it will work and I won't have to switch meds again.

I took Lialda for a few years. I had no side effects and it worked pretty good for awhile. I suspect you will not notice any difference between Lialda and Apriso.

I am on Lialda now and I think it works as well as Asacol and Asacol HD. The Lialda pills are bigger but you don't need to take as many of them. Talk to your doctor about dosage. For me one Lialda pill was equivalent to 3 Asacol pills or 2 Asacol HD pills. I am also taking 6mp as well with it.

I was just prescribed lialda today. It is a tier 4 drug according to my insurer, which for me meant a $40 copay. I googled and found a program through the manufacturer and discovered that they have a copay assistance program that will cover all but $10 of the copay. There were no requirements and the program is free for the asking.

The copay card will only cover up to a certain amount. Which still would have left about $200 a month for me. I'm thankful I was able to qualify for the Shire Cares patient assistance program, which covers the entire cost of the med. I am doing really well on the Lialda, and my side effects aren't as bad as they were with the Apriso.

I was diagnosed with "Microscopic Colitis" which I'm not sure what that means comparatively, but the doctor prescribed Lialda and I took it for a month. I got better for about a year but it's now flared back up.

I am on Lialda and my doctor said I will probably be on it for life. I am also on Azathioprine which is the main medication that helps with my UC but I was told by my GI that Lialda is a good maintenance medication to reduce the risk of colon cancer in UC patients, so I have no problems with that!