• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sure seals

I haven't, but I'm still new to this whole thing. I just discovered Coloplast strip paste and it has totally saved my skin.

I use a barrier ring that is exactly like this.
Since leaving hospital - I have had no leaks.
Touch wood this continues.
It also helps hold together my torn up skin.

Samboi, it is great to hear that you haven't had any leaks.:thumleft:

Is your skin improving at all?

My skin around my stoma is frankly alarming. I changed my whole rig over this morning, and the appearance made me cry. I don't know how it is ever going to heal. The skin is torn and has completely separated from the stoma. I don't know how it's meant to heal when the skin or tissue is not even connected.

Samboi, has your stoma nurse seen it recently? If so, what does she say? If not, perhaps it's time you made an appointment to see her.

I think that some degree of raggedness of skin at the join is quite common. I have had my stoma for 12 tears and it has never looked completely healed. It looks worse if I have had diarrhoea or an output that is irritating, but I don't have a problem with it hurting or bleeding except at such times.

I saw the stoma nurse two weeks ago. She thought it would heal once I start Humira (I start it next week).
The pain is such that when I am at home - I go straight to bed and lay down. I find it extremely painful to walk and sit. It's making it hard to live normally. The pain is sharp and intense. It seems to be getting worse rather than better. Pschologically, It is weighing upon me heavily. I feel like it is holding me back from a full recovery and every day, it makes me cry. It is really getting me down.

No, that's not good.

Have you found that there is a period in the day when your stoma is not active? For me, because I tend to eat late in the evening, that's mid to late morning. When I am able to, that's when I take off my bag, spend some time in the shower with the water running over my stoma and try to leave the stoma out in the air for a while. It always feels better afterwards.

:hug:

I'm trying to do that on the weekends. Warm baths were also suggested - although I'm worried about water getting in to the wound. Does that happen? Can water get in there and make problems?
Thanks for your advice Susan2.
And sorry to hijack Lizz.

Thats where people get mixed up though... I thought they were like RINGS as well they are not these go on the OUTSIDE of your bag and are more like tagaderm but stronger and are great in the pool and shower and hot tub etc... its not really for inside like the rings are.

I saw the stoma nurse two weeks ago. She thought it would heal once I start Humira (I start it next week).
The pain is such that when I am at home - I go straight to bed and lay down. I find it extremely painful to walk and sit. It's making it hard to live normally. The pain is sharp and intense. It seems to be getting worse rather than better. Pschologically, It is weighing upon me heavily. I feel like it is holding me back from a full recovery and every day, it makes me cry. It is really getting me down.
Humira will TEAR you up worse its a immune suppressant you WONT heal at all if you are messed up like that you shouldnt even have the humira right now.
I am on remicade for my RA and if I am messed up around my stoma I cant do my treatments :(

Aha! I looked at the website and the pic looked like the barrier ring.
How do these work? On the outside? I can't picture how they work.
I'm intrigued those as I have a hot tub too - and I'm too shy and scared to use it since the bag arrived.
I'm new to all this too - so I am easily confused by the language and descriptors.

I'm trying to do that on the weekends. Warm baths were also suggested - although I'm worried about water getting in to the wound. Does that happen? Can water get in there and make problems?
Thanks for your advice Susan2.
And sorry to hijack Lizz.
Its ok sweetie I know its hurts I have had issues my self and it sucks...

Aha! I looked at the website and the pic looked like the barrier ring.
How do these work? On the outside? I can't picture how they work.
I'm intrigued those as I have a hot tub too - and I'm too shy and scared to use it since the bag arrived.
I'm new to all this too - so I am easily confused by the language and descriptors.
Me too.... Road Runner was born on Jan 17th as well lol...
its a LOT to take in and a whole new life, I see you are on humira you have to be SO careful with skin issues I am on remicade and you can not do immune suppressants with your skin like that it will never heal :(
A friend told me about the seals mine have not came in the mail yet I ordered a pack of 10 for $11.00 they say one stays on for 4 days a lot like the bag? I am going to try one I will take a picture and share when I get them if you would like?...

That would be cool if you could share a pic.
Sometimes when people describe things - I don't get it because I call the same things different names. Even "appliance" makes me feel like I'm attaching a giant washing machine to my tummy.
I'm desperate to get the Humira underway as they think it will heal my mouth ulcers. From this, they think my improved nutrition will help heal the broken skin. I'm very worried about all of this as my nuetrophil count is very low, and then having an immune suppressor on top?
The sooner I get on Humira, the sooner I get a reversal too. It all seems a bit Catch 22.

How is your healing going?

That would be cool if you could share a pic.
Sometimes when people describe things - I don't get it because I call the same things different names. Even "appliance" makes me feel like I'm attaching a giant washing machine to my tummy.
I'm desperate to get the Humira underway as they think it will heal my mouth ulcers. From this, they think my improved nutrition will help heal the broken skin. I'm very worried about all of this as my nuetrophil count is very low, and then having an immune suppressor on top?
The sooner I get on Humira, the sooner I get a reversal too. It all seems a bit Catch 22.

How is your healing going?
I am a bit confused as to HOW they think Humira will heal anything its a immune suppressant . I have had RA for years there for I am on Remicade which is also a immune suppressant am 2 months with out my meds and in so much pain but have not been able to have my treatment due to healing from the surgery. If you have open sores or even my skin around my stoma is broken cant get my meds.

I am healing okay I still have a lot of pain my back hurts a lot :( mine can not be reversed so this is my new life.

Thanks for your advice Lizz. I think I better call my GI on Mon.
I don't want to make things worse.
Between the mouth ulcers and the unhealed stoma skin, I'm a wreck.
I just want to start my new life with my stoma - but it's more complicated than I expected.

Thanks for your advice Lizz. I think I better call my GI on Mon.
I don't want to make things worse.
Between the mouth ulcers and the unhealed stoma skin, I'm a wreck.
I just want to start my new life with my stoma - but it's more complicated than I expected.
I understand that :) I am not sure how much GI doc understands but a reumatoligist knows how dangerous it is and you should not get these drugs if there are mouth sores or any kind of things that need healing :(

So are you getting your stoma reversed ?

I'm getting a reversal. But when - who knows.
CRS wants me to have been on Humira for three months, for my butt to have healed and for me to be in good shape for surgery.
The non healed skin around the stoma will delay the Humira. And that skin does not look remotely ready to heal.
If the skin was healed and I had no pain, I would consider keeping the stoma. The pain and complications have really impacted on how I feel about the stoma. It's really knocked my confidence.

How are you adjusting?

I'm getting a reversal. But when - who knows.
CRS wants me to have been on Humira for three months, for my butt to have healed and for me to be in good shape for surgery.
The non healed skin around the stoma will delay the Humira. And that skin does not look remotely ready to heal.
If the skin was healed and I had no pain, I would consider keeping the stoma. The pain and complications have really impacted on how I feel about the stoma. It's really knocked my confidence.

How are you adjusting?
I only have a inch of colon left so I would be connected right from my rectum to the small intestines so I would poo 20-30 times a day, so no going back for me....
I am adjusting ok I guess :( my skin is a mess right now as well I am having trouble finding the right pouch for me and I am in the mist of switching I think to a 2 piece system so U can see that its on real good before I add the bag.

I lost 30 lbss before surgery so I am trying to gain back and get energy back... but eating with no pain is good for sure!!

Sounds like you've hit a few hurdles too.
Some of the changes are just so fantastic. Some are a bit hard to get used to.
Some old pains are replaced with new ones.

How are you finding the two piece?

Sounds like you've hit a few hurdles too.
Some of the changes are just so fantastic. Some are a bit hard to get used to.
Some old pains are replaced with new ones.

How are you finding the two piece?
Yes in dead....
I just got the 2 piece in the mail yesterday so have not put them on as of yet so I will have to tell you later :)

Samboi

Sounds like you need a second opinion. Took me a few stoma nurses to get it right. Finally, what works for me is either the Eakin seals or the SecuPlast seals. No skin prep, no powder, skin is in perfect shape since I figured out how to use these seals. No leaks unless I overfill at during sleep.

Samboi

Sounds like you need a second opinion. Took me a few stoma nurses to get it right. Finally, what works for me is either the Eakin seals or the SecuPlast seals. No skin prep, no powder, skin is in perfect shape since I figured out how to use these seals. No leaks unless I overfill at during sleep.
I only have problems on and off now, but I switched to the cymed bags I really liked them felt like I had nothing on and kept having blow outs so now I am trying to figure out which pouch I like the best now that I realized that one wont work well :(