• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Battling on

Hi - I am Liz or EW8 - sorry not very catchy. Had Crohn's for 20 years. Two resections, one bad so short bowel now. Recently had 2.5 years in remission thanks to Lofflex diet and despite current flare will go back to Lofflex as for me, it's a life saver. Have seen Prof Hunter in Cambridge and work with my team in Gloucestershire too. Glos Hospital very good. I think I am bad sometimes then I read some of your stories and think maybe I'm quite lucky. Retired early. Very keen golfer and hate when the illness keeps me from playing. Have big dogs - a Golden Retriever and English Setter. Do my best to make my life not about the illness, though have just had rough 3 weeks, but it will pass, everything does. Have a couple of very understanding girl-friends and fantastic husband. xx

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Liz. I recently read Professor Hunter's book. Very informative. I'd recommend it to everyone.

Hope you get back on the golf course soon.

Hi Dave - thanks for your note. Prof Hunter is a real pioneer with his diet, but he has a 90% success rate for those that are willing to really stick with it. I have gone back to the basics at present of white rice, fish, etc and after three weeks am finally seeing things settle down. My local Consultant is arranging a small bowel follow through and then thinks I will need to start Infliximab, but I am hoping that by the time I get to the procedure the diet will have done its job and there will be no inflamation. I proved my Consultant wrong three years ago when I started the diet instead of bio-metric drugs and hope to do so again. I have to juggle Professor Hunter's advice with my local team who are less convinced by it, but the truth is I have just had the longest period of remission in 20 years. Anyway, I hope if you need it, the diet works for you. I am a bit zero tolerance and if I stray from it I end up in trouble, like now!, but we're all human and I am now back on track. Cheers. Liz

Thanks for the info on the book - just ordered it online.
Hi Ali29. Well done it is an excellent book written by an extremely knowledgeable Professor. The diet has worked for me when nothing else ever has, including the SCD diet. Hope it's the same for you if you need it. Liz