Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What were your symptoms at diagnosis?

12-04-2018, 04:22 PM   #1
Ldncrad

What were your symptoms at diagnosis?

Did you have classic symptoms? Did you have blood in your stool? Getting diagnosed isnít easy!!! I appreciate the feedback!
12-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #2
Scipio

My Support Groups:
∑ Stelara
I had mild to moderate pain in the lower right abdomen for years prior to diagnosis. The thing that really triggered the search that turned up the Crohn's was an attack of severe anemia. I never had any diarrhea to speak of.

I went along with mild ileal Crohn's for 6 years and then had an attack of pericarditis, which turned out to be an extra-intestinal manifestation of Crohn's. The symptom of that was primarily shortness of breath. I had surgery to remove the pericardium and was put on Stelara to battle the Crohn's, which appears to be working. So right now I have no symptoms.

Pain and anemia are common in Crohn's, but taken together my collection of symptoms, while not unheard of, were not very typical most Crohn's patients.
12-04-2018, 07:36 PM   #3
awoenker12

My Support Groups:
For me, I had a sharp pain in my lower right abdomen that would happen occasionally. I would have loose stools close to diarrhea with blood in it. I never ran to the bathroom 20 times a day, but it was more frequent than normal like 2-3 times a day. I did not feel like eating much as I was not hungry at all. My blood work showed that I was also anemic.
12-05-2018, 02:02 PM   #4
The Real MC

My Support Groups:
Abdominal pain, inflammation, diminished appetite. Another telltale is your abdomen hurting as you drive your car over even the slightest bumps.
12-05-2018, 05:51 PM   #5
Scipio

My Support Groups:
∑ Stelara
Abdominal pain, inflammation, diminished appetite. Another telltale is your abdomen hurting as you drive your car over even the slightest bumps.
Wearing pants or a belt that were even the slightest bit tight over the abdomen also hurt.
12-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #6
Jabee

My Support Groups:
Severe anemia was the first sign, when the inflammation was confined to my duodenum. When it spread farther down into the jejunum and Ileum it was pain and inability to eat or drink resulting in rapid weight loss and hospitalization. The pain was really severe with my last hospitalization so for me thatís the first thing I pay attention to. Never any diarrhea; I am usually constipated.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What were your symptoms at diagnosis?