• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy today…

Colonoscopy today…

I am getting a colonoscopy today to see if the disease is under control enough to get my reversal sooner than later. I feel like my colon is getting a test I can’t study for. The best thing about having a stoma is not having to do a prep before a scope! Hooray for no Golightly! Wish me luck!

Wish you luck
Hope you have done ok today....omg i hate the prep for colonoscopies !!! :stinks: LOL

Marie
x

Good luck with the colonoscopy. It is awesome that you dont need to prep. Keeping our fingers crossed so you get the results you wish.

Thanks you guys! I was pretty sad when he said that he thought it would be at least three more months with the bag, but since then I have gotten the leaks under control so I am feeling better about keeping it a while longer. It was just so awful when I was having leaks every day.

I fully anticipate having to have a bag permanently some day, but I would really like to at least finish out my 20’s without it. I want to give my colon a fighting chance, but if it comes down to it, I know I will be okay without it.

Having the reversal is such a personal and complicated choice. There are so many pros and cons. I am feeling better than I have in 14 years with this bag. I really hope that after my reversal I will still feel this way.

Thanks again for your support!

Hi Jer's - I am so glad that you are feeling better that you have been in 14 years with the bag. Just reading your post before and after, one can feel what a relief its been for you not having to deal with the Croh'n symtoms. I understand about the leaks, as I myself had two this week and I am trying to find a solution to address my skin irritation (any suggestions?)

You have our full support whatever you decide.
big hug
(((((((((((((((((x)))))))))))))))))))))))

Morning! My appointment went very well. I don't quite remember what my Dr said though since i was out of it. I think he said that I could get the second surgery in four to six weeks. I know i was definitely yelling at him about how great it was that I would get it done in four to six weeks in my drugged out state. Hopefully he will call me today to clarify.

Anyway, there is no way I could get a surgery date that soon because my surgeon is too busy, but it sounds like good news (unless I was hallucinating).

Dan-
Two days before my wedding I had 7 leaks in one day! Needless to say my skin was raw and bloody making it even harder for a bag to stick. That night I had had it. When everyone went to bed, I got a cup ready (I’m sorry that this is so gross and graphic but this is what worked), and I took off my bag (it had started coming off again any way), I cleaned the area, and then I just sat in the tub with my stoma uncovered for about two hours and I let it soak. Whenever my stoma was active, I just used the cup and went back to soaking. After that I just cleaned up in the shower and put on a clean bag. My skin healed so much doing that that the bag actually stuck and I haven’t had a problem since. I know it sounds gross, but it was the only way I could heal the wound. It was my husband’s suggestion.

I haven’t had any problems since. In fact, I just went four days before changing my bag, which is the longest I have ever gone. Even then, no leak, just time to change it. 

So here is the bag changing method that I use that finally worked for me. This method has both made the bags stay on longer, as well as improved the state of my skin, which in turn, makes the bags stay on longer.

First, I get set up. I cut the hole in the bag just a bit bigger than the stoma so the stoma has room to constrict and move. Then I put some paste around the edge of the seal and let it dry for a few minutes. While that is drying, I remove the bag. I clean the area with water only half of the time when I change it and baby shampoo the other half. If there is no poo on my skin, using only water is better. Next I make sure the area is very dry. Then I use a bit of stoma powder, wipe off the excess and set it with a stoma whip. I think that the powder and whip combo is what is helping the most.

Then I wait for that to dry and I carefully place the bag around my stoma. Then I make sure there is a good seal around my stoma and hold pressure on my stomach for a good ten minutes before I get dressed. If I skip any of these steps, I’m in trouble. After a lot of products and trial and error, that is what has worked for me getting my bags to stick, and I haven’t had any skin problems since I started doing it this way. My skin has finally been able to heal. Hope that helps!

Excelllent! I'm glad you found your method. Life is pretty much the same as pre-ostomy if there are no leaks or irritated skin. Kudos to your husband for the bath idea.

I hate when the docs talk to us right after waking from anesthesia - they know we're not going to remember it :)

Dan-
Two days before my wedding I had 7 leaks in one day! Needless to say my skin was raw and bloody making it even harder for a bag to stick. That night I had had it. When everyone went to bed, I got a cup ready (I’m sorry that this is so gross and graphic but this is what worked), and I took off my bag (it had started coming off again any way), I cleaned the area, and then I just sat in the tub with my stoma uncovered for about two hours and I let it soak. Whenever my stoma was active, I just used the cup and went back to soaking. After that I just cleaned up in the shower and put on a clean bag. My skin healed so much doing that that the bag actually stuck and I haven’t had a problem since. I know it sounds gross, but it was the only way I could heal the wound. It was my husband’s suggestion.

I haven’t had any problems since. In fact, I just went four days before changing my bag, which is the longest I have ever gone. Even then, no leak, just time to change it. 

So here is the bag changing method that I use that finally worked for me. This method has both made the bags stay on longer, as well as improved the state of my skin, which in turn, makes the bags stay on longer.

First, I get set up. I cut the hole in the bag just a bit bigger than the stoma so the stoma has room to constrict and move. Then I put some paste around the edge of the seal and let it dry for a few minutes. While that is drying, I remove the bag. I clean the area with water only half of the time when I change it and baby shampoo the other half. If there is no poo on my skin, using only water is better. Next I make sure the area is very dry. Then I use a bit of stoma powder, wipe off the excess and set it with a stoma whip. I think that the powder and whip combo is what is helping the most.

Then I wait for that to dry and I carefully place the bag around my stoma. Then I make sure there is a good seal around my stoma and hold pressure on my stomach for a good ten minutes before I get dressed. If I skip any of these steps, I’m in trouble. After a lot of products and trial and error, that is what has worked for me getting my bags to stick, and I haven’t had any skin problems since I started doing it this way. My skin has finally been able to heal. Hope that helps!
Hey Jer's - Thank you so much for sharing your method with me. I tried it today and it helps so much with the healing. I just could not get the rash to go away. I soaked myself few times and the skin had a chance to heal. I dont find any of this gross ... please thank your husband for the great idea.

What is a stoma whip? What brand is the paste?
I use Hollister New Image two piece system, Convatec Stomadhesive Powder, Convatec Cohesive seal and 3M cavilion wipes (or spray).

thanks again.

I’m so glad that that worked for you! I really didn’t want to try it because I didn’t want to be in a tub full of water with an active stoma, but my husband convinced me to try it and it worked so well!

Ha ha! I meant stoma wipe not whip. Not the best speller when I’m not paying attention.  I’ll look up the product brands when I get home, but I think that the paste is Hollister.