• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Much Ado About Nothing! eh!

crohnsinct

LMAO! O just came home from school and for art she says she needs to bring in a kitchen gadget/tool that I could live without for weeks. :ylol2::ylol2: Help yourself to whatever you want:ylol2::ylol2: JUST NOT THE WINE OPENER!

crohnsinct

Sorry that^ came out so large. Maybe one of our multi talented monitors can resize it for me.

So last night at Thanksgiving dinner O ate an olive in her salad and announced, "oops! I swallowed the pit" and laughed her fool head off.

Anyone wanna guess what went through my head?!

crohnsinct

Well since it was Thanksgiving and my brother had been plying me with wine all day (it's always some one else's fault) I wouldn't exactly say panic but I am waiting for the first few BM's to prove it isn't stuck in there somewhere and did stop drinking in case I had to drive to the ER.

So my youngest child has had issues with blood in her poop on and off. Right now the GI has us keeping an eye on it since all her tests including fecal calprotectin have been normal. But anyway we are always checking her poop for blood. Tonight she tells me I think there is blood Mommy get the flashlight. I run and get the flashlight and I said I don't see any blood sweety. She says I don't see any either Mommy but look there's a hidden Mickey!!!!!
:rof::rof::rof:

Head cold + airplane this Saturday = not good!

Load me up with your quick fix home remedies, please. I'm already doing hot tea, honey & cinnamon spoons, and neti pot. No meds yet.

What else?

Don't know if you get it there, but I have managed to stop 2colds with Vicks First Defence nose spray. Start it within 48 hrs of a cold and continue for 2 days after you feel a bit better. Burns a lot, but works for me.

Tesscorm

Staff member
To help just for a short time, I would also take a decongestant nasal spray to use 20-30 minutes before flight... I normally use Otrivin. (This might be the same as Sascot's Vick's suggestion??)

crohnsinct

Oil of Wild Oregano...two drops under the tongue every morning. Knocks it right out. As a preventative it is great at warding off all kinds of thinga also.

I like the Boiron family of products...Cold Calm or oscillo.

Feel better!

Be careful with neti pots. There is an issue with them. I can't remember at the moment exactly what it is an not home so can't look it up right now but I remember it was something serious.

I remember when that came out. The news made it sound like the world was ending when it was only two cases. Well, two cases that are known. Can you imagine? One day you're using a neti and the next you're crazy sick. Those poor people.

The I-35W bridge over the Mississippi River was lit up in orange and blue this morning in honor of Crohn's and Colitis Awareness week. Made me a little teary eyed. Sounds odd, but this bridge and the river have been such a part of my life...

Not sure how to post a photo, but in Facebook you can search for the CCFA Minnesota page.

crohnsinct

LMAO:rof::rof: O was looking over my shoulder while I was reading the forum. Dancemom's sig came up and next to starting Methotrexate was the little cheerleader. O says, "why would someone put a cheerleader next to Methotrexate?"

I guess I could have gone with, "well darling it is because we are all mommies and it tears us up when our darlings are hurting and ill so if starting a drug will give you a little relief we are thankful for that"

But I opted for, "oh this is not really a Crohns forum...it is a cult of parent's intent on punishing their children for all their wrongs by using awful drugs"

Yeah I got the teenage eyeroll.

Haha! Yes, because secretly I've always wanted to inject evil toxins into my children and now my dream is finally coming true! WooHoo! lol

my little penguin

Staff member
:poop:
now that is a "dancing poo" is really needed when you want to go with insanity like a biologic
so your kiddo doesn't look like this :poo:

:dusty: are just for the toxic stuff like methotrexate.

crohnsinct

So O has her first really bad cold since dx. Just took her to ped and ear infection. Ped prescribes Amoxicillin...this after we went over all her current meds mind you.

Pick up script (which was happily filled by pharmacist) and here is the warning:

Methotrexate/Penicillins

This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.

Medical warning:

Serious. These medicines may interact and cause very harmful effects. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.

How the interaction occurs:

Penicillin antibiotics may decrease the ability of your kidneys to remove methotrexate from your body.

What might happen:

The levels of methotrexate in your body may increase and cause serious. possibly life-threatening, side effects.

What you should do about this interaction:

Let your healthcare professionals (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) know that you are taking these medicines together. Your doctor may want to monitor the amount of methotrexate in your blood, change the dose of your methotrexate, or change your antibiotic. Let your doctor know right away if you develop nausea, stomach pain, yellowing of the eyes or skin, dark urine, fever, fatigue, a persistent sore throat, easy bruising or bleeding, black stools, a change in the amount of urine you pass, skin rash, breathing problems, dry cough, diarrhea, or mouth sores while taking these medicines together or after finishing taking these medicine together.Your healthcare professionals may already be aware of this interaction and may be monitoring you for it. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with them first.

So for starters, really?! Why do we have to police everything? I mean it could be nothing and just one of those CYA warnings but then shouldn't doc have said, "you will see this warning and it is fine don't worry"

And really? If I notice nausea, stomach pain, fatigue, mouth sores, diarrhea call the doc? Did I mention she has IBD?

Fever or dry cough...um yeah...already has those.

Too funny. Oh well, GI nurse hasn't heard from me in a month so she probably misses me terribly.

:eek:A whole month of not hearing from you......................:confused2:eek:h that poor nurse.

:tongue:

That's why is important to read the warning everyone.:hug:

That is frightening! Actually it is the pharmacist who should have said something. As much as pediatricians try to stay on top of stuff like this the pharmacists are the ones who study drug interactions and nowadays the computer should have been able to alert th pharmacist about a possible interaction between these two medications. Did you get it filled at the same pharmacy where she gets the methotrexate from? That is why it is so important to make sure your pharmacist know all medications you are taking.

crohnsinct

Kim: YES! Same pharmacy! I am sure it is a big ole nothing BUT someone should have said oh yeah see this...don't worry. Now I have to waste my time tracking down the o.k. from the GI who right about now is the only person I trust anymore.

Yes I agree with kimmidwife. When Jack was on Imuran and we added allipurinol the pharmacist was up in arms when I went to go pick up the alipurinol saying he can't take these together.
After our adventure with antibiotics and c-diff over the summer I told Jack's GI I was not giving him antibiotics anymore unless he okay'd them. He just laughed and said yes, you should probably call me before giving him anything. Although if he ped rx'd it I probably wouldn't worry since he has UC and always checks drug interaction.

crohnsinct

Maybe I should switch to the local pharmacy dude and not the chain pharmacy that is open 24 hours and has a drive through for convenience.

crohnsinct

GI says go ahead with Amoxicillin as her dose of MTX is pretty low and even with the increased effects it should be O.K..

my little penguin

Staff member
Yeah that- sorry just seeing this--
DS was on abX more than once with MTX and other things..

I always loved the call a doc if nausea etc...... comment
When I tell them about the IBD symptoms.
I would get well. when its worse than his normal.:ylol2:

Hope she turns around quickly

Tesscorm

Staff member
Thanks, they were just taken with my phone so not the clearest of pics (could also be the photographer :lol:) but, during the day, with the sun shining on all the ice, it really is spectacular... shame it came at a price.

Tesscorm

Staff member
My kids, especially my daughter, were going crazy with no power... because, of course, with no power, we also couldn't readily charge phones or laptops! :lol: She just kept asking 'but what are we supposed to DO???' I suggested board games or reading... she went to her boyfriend's place as he had power. But, Stephen, hubby and I did spend the evening, all in the family room, each holding our own candle and reading. Then we all slept in the family room as we were lucky enough to have a fireplace. It's a gas fireplace so didn't give off as much heat as a regular one but, it was better than nothing!

Saw on the news today that there are still approx. 30,000 people without power... feel so sad for them... especially at this time of year.

Downstate Michigan at one time had 200,000 still without power.
QueenGothel (Mary) did you lose power?

We're good up here but we got 3-5 feet of snow but we're use to it.
One night it got to -30F with wind-chill.

No ice here, but storms a plenty! The weather has been terrible - gale force winds and pouring rain. It does make life interesting though - every time I go into the back garden everything is in a different place :lol2:. The trampoline even knocked over the garden shed - hoping the stuff inside is okay!

Catherine

Today is my middle daughter 17th birthday, we were planning a early meal at restaurant. The restaurant meal was just a little later planned.

We had two hour trip to emergency with Kerry due to an accident with a wheelbarrow. She some how managed to tip the wheelbarrow on herself. Initially she though her only injury was a twisted ankle from falling. The ankle is fine.

She has been given a week off swimming, as she has a large cut between her big toe and the next toe. In the end they decided not to stitch or glue. Just bandage the toes together. She is also happy they decide a tetanus booster was not necessary.

A birthday to remember

DustyKat

Super Moderator
:birthday2: Happy Birthday to your daughter! :heart:

I hope the next one is just as memorable but only because it will be an 18th! :)

Dusty. xxx

Catherine

The birthday girl had a great dinner.

Her sister is recovering well, has decide shoes are a must when operating a wheelbarrow.
The chickens need to eat, she moving a 20kg bag of chicken food. As she said she was looking after her back.

Tesscorm

Staff member
They certainly don't ever want us to have a dull moment, eh? :D

Glad all turned out well (or as well as possible ;)).

Lots of :birthday2: wishes!!

Ice cream party at my house on Monday and you're all invited. The high temp for the day is expected to be -15F. With the wind chill it will feel like -30F. C'mon over!

Oddly, it's become a family tradition to go out for ice cream on the coldest day of the year. This year will be extra special since it's supposed to be the coldest day of the DECADE!

AND we have even more reason to celebrate as we're coming up on the one year anniversary of DS's resection - the day he got his life back.

Happy New Year! My credit card got hacked this morning. I just got a call from my bank asking to confirm that I purchased airline tickets in Bangaldesh... Umm Nooo Do you see any tickets to Bangladesh as I'm pretty sure I would have to get there first.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Ugh no Jm! :( I tell ya, you could just string them up! Grrrrrr.

I had that happen a couple of years ago. The bank wanted to confirm if I had withdrawn 500 pounds out of an ATM in London (England)! I asked what date and if I had made any other transactions that same day. They said there was one from our local pharmacy. I told them as much as I would like to be in London I really don’t think it was possible for me to be in two places 12,000 miles apart.

crohnsinct

Oh Catherine I am so sorry! I totally understand as we lost our Greyhound the Sunday after Thanksgiving this year and I was totally devastated!

:eek:It's minus 35-45 with wind-chill.
ALL schools (hundreds) in upper Michigan are closed, simply because it to cold.

:ymad:Ok so let me vent. :ymad:
I remember going to school when it was minus weather.
My mom would wrap my whole head with a scarf, put socks OVER my gloves, Extra socks on my feet and kiss me good-bye and tell me to run in place until the bus gets here.:cool2: I survive. A little bitter but I'm here!:smile:

Tesscorm

Staff member
Catharine - so sorry to hear about your dog. :( We lost our dog last year as well, so sad... :ghug:

FW - Have you ever watched The Christmas Story? About a little boy who wants a bb gun for christmas? Great movie... and there's a very funny scene that you've pretty much described of the mother dressing her kids to get to school in the bitter cold! If you haven't seen the movie, worth watching. :)

Crazy weather this year! In the Edmonton area, last time we had this much snow at this time of year was back in 1996! We haven't even really gotten into our big snow months, Jan/Feb/Mar. My driveway is kind of a death trap because I can't get out and shovel and hubby works out of town. Usually there are kids coming to the doors for shovelling, but none this year

FW - Have you ever watched The Christmas Story? About a little boy who wants a bb gun for christmas? Great movie... and there's a very funny scene that you've pretty much described of the mother dressing her kids to get to school in the bitter cold! If you haven't seen the movie, worth watching. :)
"He looked like a tick about to pop". Classic , classic movie. That's all we watch Christmas day. As a kid that movie drove me nuts and now it's my pleasure to drive my kids nuts with it.:lol2:

Catherine I'm also sorry to hear about your dog.
My dog died 2 years ago at the age of 3. I still miss that dog.

It is 65 degrees here right now and overcast. It is supposed to get cooler as the day goes on. Tomorrow's high is 46 and the low is 29. I know those of you up north would appreciate our "warm" weather but 46 for us is freezing! We can't even wear flip flops! lol

:eek:Well you can ware flip flops up north.
All you have to do is put a few layers of socks over the flip flops and stick those babies in a nice insulated pair of muck boots and your good to go.:smile:

crohnsinct

HA! It is 50 degrees F in CT today. BUT expected to drop to 8 by nightfall. Yesterday we had an ice all over the place. Mother Nature! Typical woman...can't make up her mind...or changes it based on whoever is pissing her off at the moment!

My younger son considers this shorts weather it was 22F when he left the house this morning and is supposed to get up to about 35F so above freezing = shorts. We are supposed to have snow later in the week and I'm freezing but feeling for all of you in the mind numbing cold. Do you have the option to just stay in bed all day under the warm covers.
Off to the hospital for bone age x-ray and blood tests. 1st Remicade infusion is Thursday - YIKES!

It's currently -17F here in Minneapolis with a windchill of -37F. We're supposed to bottom out at -50F. They're saying it's colder here than some parts of Mars. That's crazy! School has been cancelled statewide and they're talking about canceling tomorrow as well. There is a 90 degree temperature difference between the inside of my house and the outside.:eek:

Of course we're out and about. Someone (ahem) lost his retainer so we had to go out for that and get impressions. I was surprised at how many people were out. There was actually traffic! As long as we were out, why not get groceries and haircuts? Check, check, and check.

Last edited:
YA, I just talked to my mom and she's doing a bunch of running around town.
We can't up on our mountain because the visibility is near zero.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Life goes on, eh? Still need those groceries, those retainers, ... :lol:

A few nights ago we had 'frost quakes'!! :eek: Had never heard of them before! Middle of the night, we heard a huge boom, the whole house shook. Daughter came running in 'what was THAT?!?!?'. Husband thought it was a sheet of ice cracking on the roof, didn't make sense to me since it was dropping down to -25 overnight but??? Then, DD started getting messages from other friends asking if she'd heard the boom. Turns out it was frost quakes - when the moisture underground freezes and expands and then has to 'shift' like an earthquake. Happened two more times that night. We only noticed a couple of days later that the doors on one side of the house are jamming and there are noticeable gaps in the door frame... we're assuming the quake was actually strong enough to shift the house! :eek:

Wondering if we'll get more tonight, temperature is supposed to drop to -35C (-30F) :eek:

That whooping and hollering you hear is my boys. School has officially been cancelled for tomorrow too.

Wow, never heard if ice quakes before. That had to be scary!

Tesscorm

Staff member
LMAO... when I started reading your message, I thought you were going to say the BOOM was just your boys yelling about no school! :D

Yeah, the first one was really scary (especially as, in my mind, I wasn't really believing my hubby's explanation! :lol:), once I knew what it was, I wasn't really worried. However, I certainly didn't expect that it would really shift the house! But, funny enough, my first thought was about 'power'. Our power lines are below the ground and when we were out of power, there was some discussion about how being below ground is supposed to protect against most weather related problems (unless the main transformers go)... so, when DD explained about the frost quakes, my first thought was 'OMG, don't let it affect the power lines!' :eek:

Life goes on, eh? Still need those groceries, those retainers, ... :lol:

A few nights ago we had 'frost quakes'!! :eek: Had never heard of them before! Middle of the night, we heard a huge boom, the whole house shook. Daughter came running in 'what was THAT?!?!?'. Husband thought it was a sheet of ice cracking on the roof, didn't make sense to me since it was dropping down to -25 overnight but??? Then, DD started getting messages from other friends asking if she'd heard the boom. Turns out it was frost quakes - when the moisture underground freezes and expands and then has to 'shift' like an earthquake. Happened two more times that night. We only noticed a couple of days later that the doors on one side of the house are jamming and there are noticeable gaps in the door frame... we're assuming the quake was actually strong enough to shift the house! :eek:

Wondering if we'll get more tonight, temperature is supposed to drop to -35C (-30F) :eek:

:awe:
My hubby and I have never heard of frost quakes. Amazin and now kind of scary!

Tesscorm

Staff member
Apparently, it's not very common... read that the last occurrence was 30 or 40 years ago!

ummm..., I'm ready for the global warming!!! :sun:

Wow you guys are having all that crazy weather while here we are enjoying 82 degrees F. Tonight it is supposed to drop to 35 then a high of 62 on Tuesday then back to the 70's on Wednesday.
Catherine so sorry to hear about your dog. It is very rough on the family. They really are like family.

All of your weather sounds crazy! It's been pretty grotty here too. Storms and rain . Flooding everywhere!

Catherine

Where has summer gone. Its 18C in Melbourne today.

We are missing our dog, he was a member of the family for 13 years. He pass away at 15 years.

Sadly our rabbit escape from his cage the next day and somehow got out of backyard. We have put out flyers and have had not luck locating him.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Oh Catherine, I'm so sorry about your rabbit!! I hope you do find him! And, it is so hard losing a pet... it's been a year and we still miss our dog very much! :(

I know some of you will get a laugh at this, but there are quite a few people here that are upset that school isn't cancelled tomorrow. I have a feeling many will keep their kids at home. When it dips below 50 here people lose their minds! Lol

crohnsinct

I notice Makena's Mom is being silent on the topic of weather...good choice Hawaii! Hell hath no fury like a frozen IBD parent!

Went to the market and bought milk but had a meeting at church before I could get it home. Left it in the car figuring it was cold enough. Got out of my hour long meeting, came home and tried to poor the milk only to find it gunked up by chunks of ice!!!!!!

Better not leave my wine in the car:ylol:

Catherine

I need suggests for staying cool tomarrow.

The kids will ok, they will be at home and we have cooling that works. Forecast is 43c for tomorrow (decided to believe this one of the other company is saying 46c):ybatty::ybatty:

The cooling is not working at work. Today was only 36c, and it was 27.5c in my office.:eek::eek:

We are expecting a cool change on Saturday.

crohnsinct

YIKES Catherine! How is it legal for then to require you come in with temps that high and no a/c? I sure hope they have fans! The air quality in a closed up building like that can't be good.

How bout the old fashioned bowl of ice in front of a fan?

Catherine

The poor conditioning man was on the tin roof trying to fix the cooling today. The manufacture sent him wrong part. It will take two days at least to get a replacement part.

We have a working water filled cooler and I have purchased ice for it.

Probably not legal but I work for a very small employer. I am his only full time employee.

Pretty cash maybe buying ice poles tomarrow.

I was told to keep the neck cooled and that will help the rest of the body.
Grace and (me) handle heat really bad, so I bought ice packs that you just break and the chemicals cool the pack and stuck it to the back of our necks and it works good.
Last summer both our air conditioners broke two days apart. Of course the hubby was convinced fall was coming. It didn't and he had VERY UPSET girls. :ymad:lol

Tesscorm

Staff member
OMG, poor you Catherine!!! I don't suppose you can work from home until the air conditioning is fixed?? If not, I hope you can work some shorter hours for the next few days. Drink lots of water!! but other than that, I have no other suggestions.

FW - careful with those cooling packs! :eek: Emily got real frostbite from using one! :lol: As you've probably found, when you activate them (ie when you break them), they are usually 'cool' not super cold... as, apparently, the older they are, the less cold they get. Most of the time, they've been shipped in and have sat in the store for a while and then sit at home (or, in our case, the coaches bag) for another while. Emily hurt her ankle at soccer so her coach put one of those packs on her ankle (directly on the skin) and then wrapped it up so it would stay on while hubby brought her home. None of us had any concerns about it being directly on her skin as, like I said, they are usually only 'cool'. By the time she got home, it had probably been on her ankle for approx 30 minutes. We unwrapped at home and it was a bit red - but, no more than you'd expect after being kicked in the ankle and then having a ice pack on it. We kept icing, off and on, during the day. Poor thing kept saying it was hurting and we kept saying 'well of course it hurts, you injured your ankle! Part of playing soccer - suck it up!' :lol: My mom kept asking if we shouldn't take her to ER to have it x-rayed and I kept saying no because it wasn't broken or she wouldn't be able to walk on it and it would have swelled. Anyway, my mom is persistent and, by the next day, I finally told my mom, if you want to take her while I'm at work, go ahead. The doctor looked at it, said it wasn't broken but said she clearly had frostbite!! :yfaint: The kicked ankle healed within days, it took weeks for the frostbite to heal... and, 3 or 4 years later, I think there is still a faint scar! (Case study in Bad Parenting 101! :lol:)

Tess
Wow, I've heard you have to be careful with the heated ones because of burns but not the cold ones. Thanks for the info. The ones I use have never caused that but will keep an eye on it.

I have actually heard a few physios here stopped recommending ice packs probably for that reason. We were told to just soak a face cloth in really cold water, squeeze well and use that instead.
On a side note, I am going for a colonoscopy and laparoscopy on the 27th. I have been having really bad pain in my lower right side for a couple months which is getting worse. Hope I last that long - living on pain tablets. If he can't see anything wrong he may end up taking my appendix out. :eek2:

Catherine

Hi guy, it currently a beautiful 29.5C inside. Just need to go outside to remind myself this is cool as it is 41C outside.

On a site note a small Victorian Country town had their power cut off to for maintenance today when the forecast temperature was 44C. The powers to be decide this morning to cut power an hour early that there notices to the residents advice. So people who planning to fill water containers this morning were unable to. Nice day to be without water or power.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
:eek2: Sending loads of luck your way for 27th Sascot! :ghug:

@ Catherine - No way! What a bunch of drongo’s! :yfrown: I hope you are surviving the heat okay. Not as hot up here but the humidity is so low I reckon it could near mummify ya! All I can say is I am glad I am not on centre court at the tennis. :yfaint:

Catherine

Coping ok with the heat so far. It was 31.5c inside when I left work at 5pm.

Currently 36c in Melbourne, at 10 pm. We have the cooling on home, ok as long as you don't try and do anything.

New part for the work cooling should arrive Thursday, don't know whether the cooling man will enjoy being on the metal roof to fit it.

Hopefully they got forecast wrong, tomorrow 43, Thursday 45, Friday 44, Saturday 26.

Catherine

Why did anyone think it was a good idea to hold the Australia open in January. My husband and I have ground passes to the tennis for Wednesday of next week. They comes with free food and drink (actually make that wine).

Last edited: