• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisolone not working

Hi guys, me again sorry!

I started 40mg oral prednisolone 10 days ago, with instructions to taper down 5mg per week, so I'm currently on 35mg. I have previously tried mesalazine suppositories, prednisolone enema and a rectal foam with no joy for my ulcerative colitis.

I noticed a very, very slight improvement after about 5 days, though it was pretty negligible. Right now things seem much the same, blood and mucous multiple times a day, urgency/incontinence (mostly blood and mucous), alot of bloating, general lower tummy /back ache. Should I be seeing an improvement by now? I'm just concerned as I'm tapering down already.

I've left a message with the ibd nurse but just looking for your experiences, thanks!

Scipio

I had a very different result when I went on a short course of prednisone. I was briefly on 40 mg and then tapered off much like you. My primary symptom, often my sole symptom, is right side abdominal pain, and the prednisone abolished it almost immediately. Of course it came back as the taper got low.

Right now I'm keeping the pain to a minimum with 6 mg of budesonide daily while waiting for the Stelara to kick in.

I suppose I'm lucky that I don't suffer too much pain. Occasionally it's the kind that makes you want to curl up, but mostly it's a dull ache. It's the urgency /leakage that really gets me down :(

Scipio

My pain is mostly a dull ache too. I've had the urgency/leakage problems very rarely - I have a bout of that on average only about once or twice a year.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Prednisone should have kicked in by now - you may need a higher dose for a few days to see if there is any improvement. I've been on as much as 60 mg/day to start before tapering......

I'd also be contacting the doctors office to let them know things have not improved.

scottsma

I agree.Hope you feel better soon.Oh,and no need to apologise for seeking advice,we all have to do it sometimes,or quite often,depending on the problem.

Thanks everyone. I've been prescribed salofalk granules now, and told to continue tapering the steroids if they're not helping. Fingers crossed!