• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's Disease Pain Management

J

jyarmo

What do you do when your Crohn's is acting up? Any particular hints?

I find that there isn't any guarenteed method to help make me feel better when I have a flair up. Sometimes reading a book helps take my mind off things. Other times, lying down and using a heat pad on my stomach helps.

J

jyarmo

Forgot to add that a warm bath (keyword is BATH...not shower) tends to help most of the time!

When Im in a lot of pain I usually try drinking hot tea. Cammomile seems to work the best for me I put honey in it and it seem to really comfort my stomach I usually lay down with a cup and a heating pad. but when Im not able to get hot tea and im out with friends at the mall or something I always have those menstral heating pad things they work great! I always used to have those chewable peptobismol tablets and they seemed to work for a while but I didnt realize that that stuff will make you tongue and throat- well actually your whole mouth completely black. Woke up one morning in a panic and called my dr. she laughed at me and asked if I had been taking peptobismol tablets it took like 20 times of brushing my mouth with toothpaste to get the stuff off lol. but the liquid stuff doesnt seem to do that for me so i carry that now. and ive noticed that if I take tums before I eat it usually lessens the discomfort I have from eating. and for the ladies this tablet called correctal works wonders if you have problems with discomfort and pain from constipation. its really gental my famle dr recommended it to me instead of an over the counter one thats not so gental event hough they insist they are!!!:D

Last edited:
R

Rob17870

a heating pad always seems to help me out a little bit, but I find marijuana does work very well for the pain and discomfort. I hope this dosnt lable me as a pot head.

D

doubledown

Rob17870 said:
I hope this dosnt lable me as a pot head.
Whatever gets the job done is fine in my books. Besides, you deserve to enjoy yourself when you can, right?

D

danielle

I used to use mj too, but found it bad for my anxiety. I usually try taking a bath for cramps. Seems to be my best bet for total relaxation. I use heating pads too.

R

ReeRee

No Rob, you're not a pothead. But if you were, that'd be ok with me. I think it should be legalized personally. That statement will probably alienate me from some people. I find that it helps with the pain, the nausea, and it gives me the munchies something terrible and that's a good thing when I have to appetite at all or when the Setaphobia sets in. Setaphobia is the fear of food, btw. And I probably didn't spell that right either.

However, because of the obvious legal problems, I only resort to MJ in extreme emergencies. Back in my wilder days in the 80's and early 90's it was much different. But it's not worth loosing my kids over at the moment.

So, instead I do the hot bath and heating pad thing to help with the pain too. I also take Donnatol for the colon spasms. My herbalist recommended Valerian root and I love them!! They smell horrible, but work great. It's also good for insomnia and stress! She also recommended mixing Camomile and Cinnamon/apple tea for the cramps, and that works great too, especially in combination with the Valerian and Donnatol.

When things get really bad, my doc prescribes pain killers, but as he reminds me often, they are a last resort. the last thing I need is some huge monkey on my back.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Whenever I get or got pain I really did not want to do anything about it except ride it out. This meant lying in bed and just waiting for the symptoms to pass. Even though I have used a heating pad a bit with some success, for some reason when I am in a lot of pain I do not want to try anything to stop it. Lying down does help compared to any other position, and often within a few hours the pain will go away.

S

shaspons

Rob17870 said:
a heating pad always seems to help me out a little bit, but I find marijuana does work very well for the pain and discomfort. I hope this dosnt lable me as a pot head.
Naha I would tell you to send some this way but I dont want to see you go to jail. Do what you got to do man.

Shawn:D

I agree, lying in comfortable position helps, so does a little spliff (but it's a bad idea if u suffer from anxiety). Not so sure about the hot bath... I bet it can ease the pain but it may cause more bleeding (if u bleed).
I try to ease my pains by targeting the inflammation, drink camomile tea, fennel tea, ginger tea, white cabbage juice, slippery elm drink, and so on... Plus, a very drastic diet (banana, rice, white bread, steamed cabbage). I'm bit of a herbalist only because I never received a proper advice from doctors, and the pills they prescribed didn't help.