• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Welcome Story

My stomach has always been an issue for as long as i can remember. I went to my pediatrician, i went to gastros i went to every doctor under the sun it seemed like. I was beginning to think i was going insane, no one believed me, every one thought i had an eating disorder, that i was too young to go under for all these tests etc.. So years went by and i suffered through it all. I cut out foods to the point where i ended up being a vegetarian and completely messed up my immune system, and my joints where practically deteriorating. I had to get my titers again, i was constantly taking antibiotics and NSAIDS. Which of course i found out was all harmful to my disease. I finally went to one gastro who basically looked at me and said i had IBS, gave me a 2 week round of antibiotics and benefiber twice a day. Which...landed me in the hospital with a bowel obstruction. :poo: I decided to go back to my hometown to see my mother's gastro. He agreed that i should have a colonoscopy and endoscopy. I also just took the pillcam for my small intestine, since he found out I in fact have Crohn's in my small intestine, IBS in my colon and Small intestine ulcers. I wasn't so crazy after all! all it took to convince them was a 9 hour hospital visit, were they poked and prodded me all night. I mean, blood tests, full gyno exam, ultra sound, IV ultra sound, sonograms, finally the cat scan revealed the obstruction. and here i am just looking for some support and advice to get through this. Im glad to know what it is and what it has been my whole life, but the road to remission is going to be long. My doctor says a lot of unintentional damage has been done and needs to be fixed.

Did you ever get a calprotectin stool test?
It's rather new and couldn't have helped you with your terrible childhood stresses but it's been around for a year in the States. It's been approved by the FDA to differentiate between IBS and IBD. How long ago did the doctor proscribe the fiber that sent you to the hospital? I was also misdiagnosed years ago. I had an appendicitis and was diagnosed with constipation. It's a terrible stress no one should have to go through.

dzwilks: I never had the calprotectin test, but i wish i knew about my disease earlier. I was on the fiber and antibiotics for about 3 weeks. my body cant digest fiber and it caused the blockage, little did i know. Im glad that im finally getting to the bottom of my symptoms.

dzwilks: I never had the calprotectin test, but i wish i knew about my disease earlier. I was on the fiber and antibiotics for about 3 weeks. my body cant digest fiber and it caused the blockage, little did i know. Im glad that im finally getting to the bottom of my symptoms.
Chelrohns, you are being very humble and appreciative in all of this. May God bless you and protect you.