• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Should I pursue my Master's degree?

Should I pursue my Master's degree?

• Yes

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi,
I'm a 23 year old Indian girl, currently working as a software engineer with a well established MNC. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease 10 months back. It's been a very tough journey ever since.
I'm currently on pentasa, azoran and some steroids to keep my crohns under control. I function normally everyday with an always present stomach ache and constant exhaustion. I do this because I love my job and want to be the best at it. But some days, maybe once every two weeks or even often, I have severe flare ups and have to take off from work. Those days I usually spend in bed.
Recently I was accepted into a Master's program at one of the top universities in the USA. It has always been my dream to pursue my masters in my field and that too at this University. However I'm very skeptical given my condition. It's a 2 year course and a huge investment financially.
If I accept the offer I must leave to America in the next three months. This degree will change my life.
However, is it wise to pursue my dream given my condition?
It is hours of coursework, part time jobs, living alone in a foreign land all by myself away from family and friends.
Should I go ahead with this plan knowing how unpredictable and ruthless this disease can be?
Also do universities in the United States cover this disease and it's expenses under their medical insurance for international students?

Hi. I am completing my Master's Degree, so I say yes, even in a foreign land. And yes, universities have a disability program to assist students with health issues. You have to have documentation and notify the university that intend to attend. They work with the professors to make modifications as necessary. Best wishes!

Trysha

Staff member
Go for it!
Now is the best time to complete your Masters..
You will be well taken care of health wise and the treatment may be much better than what you are getting
Good luck and feel better soon
Hugs
Trysha

Thanks for replying all of you.
I'm just worried if I would able to survive all by myself, since I have my mother who is constantly taking care of me here.
I guess I just have to gather some courage and dive into it.
Life doesn't give you second chances.

Hi,
I'm a 23 year old Indian girl, currently working as a software engineer with a well established MNC. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease 10 months back. It's been a very tough journey ever since.
I'm currently on pentasa, azoran and some steroids to keep my crohns under control. I function normally everyday even though I almost always have a stomach ache and constant exhaustion. I do this because I love my job and want to be the best at it. But some days, maybe once every two weeks or even often, I have severe flare ups and have to take off from work. Those days I usually spend in bed.
Recently I was accepted into a Master's program at one of the top universities in the USA. It has always been my dream to pursue Master's in my field and that too at this University. However I'm very skeptical given my condition. It's a 2 year course and a huge investment financially.
If I accept the offer I must leave to America in the next three months. This degree will change my life.
It is hours of coursework, part time jobs, living alone in a foreign land all by myself away from family and friends.
Should I go ahead with this plan knowing how unpredictable and ruthless this disease can be?
Also do universities in the United States cover this disease and it's expenses under their medical insurance for international students?

Go for it. Keep the administration in the loop. I would have had a much better transcript at the end of my days had I spoken to admin. Found out too late that they were willing to make accommodations. Also make certain you have good health insurance that will cover pre-existing conditions when you come over. Not sure what the system is like in India, but the States is expensive. Try to get a referral to a GI so that if you have issues while in the States you can have them addressed rapidly.

Scipio

"Also do universities in the United States cover this disease and it's expenses under their medical insurance for international students?"

Yes. Pretty much all US universities offer all their students health insurance that, by law, must cover pre-existing conditions. This includes all foreigners who are in the country legally. You will have to pay for it, but it is often included in the student fees paid to the university. Check with your university for details.

One advantage you might have is that if your university has a medical school there will almost certainly be an IBD center or IBD program there where you can find doctors who have focused their whole careers on treating and researching this disease. That would be a good place to start to find the right doc in the US to help manage your disease while you are here. If it's not too personal, can you tell us which university? I might be able to recommend some IBD docs there.

I think by all means you should pursue the degree. Embrace your therapy with the goal of controlling the Crohn's rather than letting the Crohn's control you. Do not allow this disease to rob you of this opportunity.

Hi,
I'm currently on pentasa, azoran and some steroids to keep my crohns under control. I function normally everyday with an always present stomach ache and constant exhaustion. I do this because I love my job and want to be the best at it. But some days, maybe once every two weeks or even often, I have severe flare ups and have to take off from work. Those days I usually spend in bed.
Recently I was accepted into a Master's program at one of the top universities in the USA. It has always been my dream to pursue my masters in my field and that too at this University. However I'm very skeptical given my condition. It's a 2 year course and a huge investment financially.
Yes you should! Don't let this awful disease hold you back. I am also a 21 year old girl and just landed my first full time job and also applied for my masters in healthcare administration. I was just diagnosed with crohns this past year and most colleges will help you out tremendously. All schools have a disability services center and work with people with crohns. I was given sensitivety to absenses and the option to take tests away from my classmates during my really bad flare. People don't know that there is an option for that but there is and you should most definitely pursue your dream. Yes school causes stress but so does not pursuing your dream. Just learn how to manage the stress through meditation or yoga and with healthy eating and I think it will be so worth it for you!

Most definitely go for it and pursue your goals. Life is short and you never want to look back and wish you had continued your education. While there may be stress, school can also can help distract you from focusing on your health issues, if you're prone to do so. Best of luck with whatever you decide.