• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Plums

Just wondered if I can eat plums with an ileostomy will I be able to break down the skin if I chew it really well?also just eaten asparagus and now wondering whether that was a good idea :eek2:

DJW

Forum Monitor
Neither causes me problems. But I can't eat apple skin at any time. Weird. You may want to peel the plumb to be safe.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I've had no issue with them, but they can have a mild laxative effect if eaten in large quantities so you may see an increase in output.

Thanks for the advice I do miss fruit so ile give it a go tomorrow :) don't think the asparagus is going to cause a problem output all fine so far

Thanks for the advice I do miss fruit so ile give it a go tomorrow :) don't think the asparagus is going to cause a problem output all fine so far
Make sure the asparagus is cut into small sections. Trying to eat one whole might be too "stringy".

I ate them whole and quite a lot of them but that was about 4 hours ago and I've had a normal bag full since then so hopefully its ok.bit silly on my part but they were yummy!

I've not had problems with plums or grapes. The skins from tomatoes is always interesting to see after digestion, but it's never caused an obstruction for me. Glad you are beginning to eat the things you crave!

Do people have problems with popcorn?i haven't been to the cinema since I had the surgery because I can't go there and not have popcorn!

I was really scared to eat popcorn but had a real craving and gave in. I had no problem at all, although when I told my nurse she nearly shouted at me lol! I just made sure I didn't swallow any of the kernels.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I've not had any problems with popcorn yet. However it does weird things, the fluffy white part digests fine however the "skin" part, I don't know what to call it, all clumps together and moves very slowly through my system. I can see how it would cause people obstructions.

Do people have problems with popcorn?i haven't been to the cinema since I had the surgery because I can't go there and not have popcorn!
I've had popcorn for several weeks straight during the "Lost" marathons my daughter and I have :ylol2: No issues with it for me.

I stew a lot of plums when they are in season and freeze some in margarine type containers for a taste of summer during the winter. I find that I can only eat one or, at the most, two pieces of stone fruit a day but I have no problems at all with stewed plums.

It's very individual, and just because a food is fine once, doesn't mean it will be next time. The amount of fiberous foods you're eating may be more significant than the type of food. E.g. you could eat once plum and be fine, but eat lots, or eat one on a day when you've eaten lots of other fruit or veg or other potentially blockage-causing foods, and you may have a problem.

I've had two ileostomies and with both I've tolerated fibre really badly. I can get away with eating maybe one piece of fruit with skin on a day, or one slice of wholemeal bread or whatever, but much more than that leaves me doubled over with stomach cramps and retching every time my stoma has something coming out of it. My current stoma allows me to eat more fibre than my first one, though with both I've learned that I'm particularly sensitive and most people with ileostomies do not have nearly as much trouble as I do.

For me, symptoms do not come after eating the offending food,since they start after that has gone through and blocked the stoma. For me, the symptoms carry on for a few days, usually just when the stoma is active.

Since I'm so sensitive to fibre, I avoid all the foods known to be most likely to cause blockages, like sweetcorn, mushrooms, nuts and seeds, etc.

Try one plum, and don't eat much else that could cause a blockage for a few days before and after.

I ate them whole and quite a lot of them but that was about 4 hours ago and I've had a normal bag full since then so hopefully its ok.bit silly on my part but they were yummy!
It would take longer than four hours for food to cause a problem for me. The blockages I've had were after a few consecutive days of trying eating foods which don't breakdown easily.

That's interesting what you say unxmas I didn't realise the amount would make a difference I thought it was just certain foods that you should avoid.so I ate a couple of plums and the asparagus and I was very ill afterwards but I think that was due to a flare up as they had taken me off methotrexate.back on it now and starting to feel better again and will start adding in some fruit and veg gradually. Thanks for all the advice

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
My neighbour has a plum tree that which half of it overhangs the patio of the pub a few doors down, as such my friends and I have been liberating fruit from the bar's back patio. For most of the past week, my diet has been about 80% plums.