• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Best Bread/ Unprocessed bread to buy?

At the moment for bread I eat Sara Lee White whole wheat bread.
I know bread can be an irritant like dairy so was wondering what is the best bread to buy and eat? What brand/ingridients do you look for? Also do you try to buy fresh bread/or make bread? How much per day can most of you tolerate?

Thanks as you can see i'm a bit paranoid of everything atm since my appointment is weeks from now.

at this point i already can know where the question post icon is even with my eyes closed.

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds favorite and mine ( although I don't have crohns )
Canyon bakery mountain white bread and bagels
Free of wheat and dairy no fillers but does have xantham gum which we try to avoid for Ds

Against the grain gourmet has wonderful baguettes /rolls /pitas / bagels
Some are dairy free most have milk /cheese/gluten free no fillers or xantham gum so we prefer these

Fork and beans has a good bread recipe that is gluten free
But has chickpea flour so not good if you don't tolerate it
Quinoa is a good "flour " which can be mixed with baked potato and rice flour to make a "bread " with eggs - it is dense but works for sandwiches

If you tolerate wheat homemade is easiest
Wheat flour salt water and yeast that's all that's needed
I used to make three loaves at once
Slice /place parchment paper inbetween and freeze
Then you have fresh bread for a month

You can also make crepes which are useful as well as flat bread

It's all about chemistry and balancing protein /gluten with starches
Good luck

Ds favorite and mine ( although I don't have crohns )
Canyon bakery mountain white bread and bagels
Free of wheat and dairy no fillers but does have xantham gum which we try to avoid for Ds

Against the grain gourmet has wonderful baguettes /rolls /pitas / bagels
Some are dairy free most have milk /cheese/gluten free no fillers or xantham gum so we prefer these

Fork and beans has a good bread recipe that is gluten free
But has chickpea flour so not good if you don't tolerate it
Quinoa is a good "flour " which can be mixed with baked potato and rice flour to make a "bread " with eggs - it is dense but works for sandwiches

If you tolerate wheat homemade is easiest
Wheat flour salt water and yeast that's all that's needed
I used to make three loaves at once
Slice /place parchment paper inbetween and freeze
Then you have fresh bread for a month

You can also make crepes which are useful as well as flat bread

It's all about chemistry and balancing protein /gluten with starches
Good luck
Thanks I'll take a look at that, and can you go a little bit more into detail of balancing protein and gluten with starches?

Instead of using bread I make sandwiches and whatever else with tortilla shells. It's just less dense for me.