• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colitis or IBS

Several years ago I was diagnosed with IBS. For years I have been living life as if I have IBS, but an episode I had a few days ago that has continued has got me wondering. Felt good, went grocery shopping and out of the blue I got a sever stabbing, burning cramping pain in the most lower part of my abdomen in one spot, around distal sigmoid area'ish. It was so painful it was hard to move and I immediately needed to use the restroom. I was breathing really hard trying to work through it till I got to the bathroom. I hurt so bad I didn't want to go. I have always had to sit on the toilet for 15-20 mins focusing on having a bm just to have one. Doesn't mean I am constipated because most of the time it is soft stool. Sometimes I will have an immediate urge and it will be explosive. So this day I am sitting there for a while, have a soft stool, small at that, and then diarrhea. Not a lot. No this is going to get graphic. Sorry. It smelled sour and I was still having massive pain. I knew I had to get home. Got home and went back to the bathroom and had more diarrehea with what looked like some unprocessed food, again not a lot and smelled very sour. With each time to the bathroom I felt like I was going to pass out, had goosebumps, breathing deep, severe burning and continued to burn with defacating. I have slight pain in that area since and off and on cramping. Diarrhea once per day since and later in the evening today now have cramping all over. So severe it is very hard to move and breath. Anyone have any ideas? Is it IBS, or is it colitis?

cmack

Staff member
krkeith,

I hope you are OK. If things hurt bad don't try to tough it out. I tried that before and it backfired big time! I am not trying to push you, I would rather lead you in the right direction. If you think you need to see a doctor, you probably need one. I'm speaking from my own experience. You can reach out to me any time.

Do whatever you have to, I wish you all the best,

cmack

I had something, while not the same, was similar as every time I ate something it went through very quickly and wasn't digested at all. It was very painful, especially on exit. I was put on flaygl and cipro for a week and things improved almost immediately. I know that it is used for Crohns and diverticulitis.

cmack

Staff member
Candace,

I notice if I have salad it comes out undigested, really rather quickly too, and yes I chew my food thoroughly. I blend my greens into a smoothie now and it seems to help make things easier to digest. I also have had a lot of cipro and flagyl. Flagyl made my mouth taste like I was chewing on tinfoil. I sure don't miss those days.

Thanks for your input Candace, all the very best to you,

cmack

Candace,

I notice if I have salad it comes out undigested, really rather quickly too, and yes I chew my food thoroughly. I blend my greens into a smoothie now and it seems to help make things easier to digest. I also have had a lot of cipro and flagyl. Flagyl made my mouth taste like I was chewing on tinfoil. I sure don't miss those days.

Thanks for your input Candace, all the very best to you,

cmack
Lol, I don't miss those days either....Tinfoil and a the feeling of a week long flu. I cannot eat lettuce at all right now or apples. Same thing, goes through very quickly. I have just been avoiding almost all raw vegis and fruit. Maybe some day soon things will be better. 13 days until my next test. As much as im not looking forward to it....1 step closer to having a solution.