• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone on Humira and sulfasalazine?

Anyone on Humira and sulfasalazine? I've been on Humira since May 2013 and just started sulfasalazine for psoriatic arthritis. Blood work was run and Humira is doing what it is supposed to do inside. Yay! I've had horrible joint pain/flu like symptoms for months. Rheum dr. put me on sulfasalazine. It seems to be working. Just wondered what others experiences have been with these two meds together. I'm sorry if this is not the correct forum to post in.

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter just started Sulfasalzine and will start Humira later in the month. She's been on Humira before (but with methotrexate) not sulfasalazine, and that combination worked very well for about two years.
We're hoping the Humira + sulfasalazine will work, because she has been on Remicade for the last 7 months and it hasn't helped at all. She also has arthritis and Crohn's and has had horrible joint pain, so we really need this combination to work!

I have been on sulfasalazine and celebrex for AS for 10 months and Humira for 4 months. I attempted stopping everything but Humira (with drs blessing) but soon realized that I need al 3. No real concerns/ side effects for me with the sulfasalazine

Thank you. I've been on sulfasalazine for two weeks now and my muscle/joint pain has faded a lot. I didn't think it would work this well this fast. I go for bloodwork this week. Hope everything is good so I can stay on this with my Humira. Best wishes for you all.

Hi Vonnie,
Just curious did the psoriatic arthritis come from the Humira or hte joint pain a side effect or did you have it before? I just started Humira and am having some pretty serious joint pain, but it didn't start until I began to wean off of entocort.

Anyone on Humira and sulfasalazine? I've been on Humira since May 2013 and just started sulfasalazine for psoriatic arthritis. Blood work was run and Humira is doing what it is supposed to do inside. Yay! I've had horrible joint pain/flu like symptoms for months. Rheum dr. put me on sulfasalazine. It seems to be working. Just wondered what others experiences have been with these two meds together. I'm sorry if this is not the correct forum to post in.

I was on sulfasalazine for 22 years for AS and Crohn's. It stopped working for AS about two years ago but through diet and vitamin D3, I managed the disease very well. Then last year, things went south. I started Humira in August and have been symptom free from the first day. I take 500mg of sulfasalazine as needed - i.e. when I have a flare - and it resets the system in short order. For reference, I was taking 3gms of sulfasalazine when it was my only medicine.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I had joint/all over body pain on and off for a long time even before I was diagnosed. I felt really good while on prednisone which I tapered off of around the time I started Humira. I had small patches of psoriasis in the past but I think Humira made it worse b/c it really started bothering me after I had been on it about 3 months. The joint pain felt like what I had in the past but seemed worse. I had bloodwork run that showed Humira is working so the rheumatologist added the sulfasalazine for the arthritis pain. Since I have been on sulfasalazine, some of the psoriasis patches have gone away. I also can move better and don't feel as if I have the flu all the time. I also do yoga stretching and try to walk as much as I can. I hope this helps you.

Anyone having problems with headaches/migraines on sulfazine? I was switched to it because of arthritis-like joint pain/stiffness, and it helped with that, but my migraines have gotten worse. I saw another thread or two where others were saying similar. I may have to go back to Asacol or get something else. And if it's a choice between the joint pain or more migraines, I'll take the joint pain.