• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Quorn and SCD

I think Quorn is illegal does any one have any info as to why I thought it was made of mushrooms and egg white, I am planning for a SCD in June and would love to include it, never had a bad reaction before, thanks for any help

It's actually a fermented fungus derived from a soil mold, which uses glucose to feed the fungus during fermentation. Egg whites are sometimes added afterwards to bind the finished "meat substitute" product together.

I've heard both good and bad about it, but I don't really know.

nogutsnoglory

It's processed food which is generally avoided on these diets. Here are the ingredients in the "chik'n tenders"

Mycoprotein (90%), Rehydrated Egg White. Contains 2% or less of Yeast Extract, Salt, Pea Fiber, Natural Flavors From Non-Meat Sources.
Contains Egg.

It's just too much manipulation of food.

Thanks for the info, That doesn't sound like something so good to eat anymore :yfaint: :smile:
I just don't know. Yes, it's processed, but the process of fermentation is not normally considered to be a "bad thing", but rather, beneficial to your health.

My husband and I make quite a few fermented foods, including kefir, sourdough, pickles, kimchi,etc.

We also make kombucha tea, which is just sweetened tea, which is then fermented for 5-9 days by adding a kombucha mushroom, only it's not really a mushroom, but rather a "symbiotic culture of bacterias and yeast" a/k/a a "Scoby" -- which looks like this:

It may look rather Gross, but in reality, is quite good. Kind of tart, sweet, and just a little effervescent. It contains a lot of nutrients and has become a very popular health drink.

There have been a few people who have suffered severe allergic reactions to quorm, including life threatening anaphylaxis, but there are also those who suffer from just as severe allergic reactions to peanuts and shellfish.

As far as molds go, penicillin is fabricated from a mold, most aged cheeses are fermented by being subjected to various molds and yeasts, beer and wine are both fermented using yeast.

In fact, I believe that all alcohol is first fermented, and then refined using a process that removes most of the water content.

Other fermented foods include miso, sauerkraut, soy sauce, apple cider, yogurt, and many others. Many of which offer health benefits, in particular, to your digestive system.

Whether quorn is beneficial or detrimental, remains debatable.

oh, and the reason it's illegal on the SCD diet is because it contains wheat.