• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Silica

Hey guys wondering if anyone on here has tried silica for crohn's i was doing some research and its meant to be beneficial for the gi tract and good for crohn's symptoms just wanted to hear some experiences with this stuff

I googled silica for crohn's and there's heaps of info that it can be beneficial. I have perianal crohn's and it's meant to be very good for it plus if it helps the bones why not I don't get out in the sun that much and also have arthritis associated with crohn's so I'll give it a shot.

Just cause one site says something doesn't mean it won't work. Gotta try evrything my friend

I saw a naturopath earlier this year and she put me on to silica tablets.
They worked brilliantly. At the same time I also took up yoga and made a few other changes - but all contributed to my shift in to remission.

I googled silica for crohn's and there's heaps of info that it can be beneficial. I have perianal crohn's and it's meant to be very good for it plus if it helps the bones why not I don't get out in the sun that much and also have arthritis associated with crohn's so I'll give it a shot.

Just cause one site says something doesn't mean it won't work. Gotta try evrything my friend
Were you planning on using it internally or externally?

nogutsnoglory

Well WebMD is the medical perspective on it. I'm not saying it does or doesn't work but there are a lot of sites on the Internet with all sorts of claims. I always try to get a reputable source to back up something. Even natural supplements can cause harm and have interactions. Please let us know how it goes if you try it.

I've not tried silica before for my gut, but have heard from others that have, that it helps with nails and hair apparently. Hope it works out well! Let us know how it goes. My hair seems to be thinning a bit so at the least it might help me out on top.

On future reseach on natural products, such as silica, here in the US we are going through a change in how funding is handled. Many cities and states are hurting badly financially. Overall, to many policial financial promises have been made, and as a result funding to Universities for research projects is being cut.

A popular natural food researcher in the University city I live in, Dr. Chris Masterjohn, recently wrote about the problem along with how he was addressing the issue. In some respects good to see he was trying to find answers in order to continue his research work.

"Fundraising for the Research Lab I'm working In"

http://blog.cholesterol-and-health.com/2013/05/fundraising-for-research-lab-im-working.html

Sadly also from a medical perspective, most in the medical field tend to care little about diet and nutrition. In medical school, of all the years spent learning medicine typically only a couple weeks are spent on studing nutrition.

I've seen a few write ups on this, but recall this article by Dr. Pauline Chen about her time spent in medical school.

"Teaching Doctors About Nutrition and Diet"

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/health/16chen.html?_r=0

Last edited:
I saw a naturopath earlier this year and she put me on to silica tablets.
They worked brilliantly. At the same time I also took up yoga and made a few other changes - but all contributed to my shift in to remission.
that's what i wanted to hear i'm on silica capsules as well how long was it before you felt a diffrence my but hurts bad from all the straining and whatever else is going on in there

After taking 6 tabs per day for four weeks - felt fabulous.
I was actually a little shocked.
I'm not big on naturopaths etc - but this experience really opened my mind to the possibility that they may have some positive options for me.

After taking 6 tabs per day for four weeks - felt fabulous.
I was actually a little shocked.
I'm not big on naturopaths etc - but this experience really opened my mind to the possibility that they may have some positive options for me.
wouldd you know what dose as in how much silica it was as i just bought some from chemist warehouse and says take one capsule daily but i think i might need more