• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Second colonoscopy

Hey all

I'm a little nervous. I was diagnosed following a colonoscopy last April, and I'm waiting for an appointment for another one.

Last time I was so ill I didn't really care what they did to me. This time I'm feeling a little more apprehensive. I suppose my main issue is that last time I didn't know what to expect and was very much reassured that I wouldn't really remember it or feel much.

As it happened I was fine to begin with, then after a while I completely came out of the sedation as I was in quite a bit of pain. I never went back under, and was lucid for the rest of the procedure.

The pain didn't last that long, but I had been injected with painkillers beforehand and was using Gas & Air too which did nothing.

I've been on azathioprine for 6 months now, I'm better than I was but when I do have symptoms they're completely different to what I used to experience. I'm just worrying myself stupid over feeling more pain and what if's. I'm worried the aza hasn't reduced the small bowel inflammation and that it's spreading into my large bowel too based on recent symptoms.

I never used to be such a snowflake when it comes to procedures etc. What the hell is going on with me?!

My first few Colonoscopies I could feel them moving around and it was just too uncomfortable for me so I had them put me completely under now. You aren't a snowflake. I am sorry you woke up to the pain you did.

My first few Colonoscopies I could feel them moving around and it was just too uncomfortable for me so I had them put me completely under now. You aren't a snowflake. I am sorry you woke up to the pain you did.

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I was told the first time that they won't put you under general anaesthetic unless it's exceptional circumstances. I think when I get the letter I will call to see if I can take painkillers prior to the appointment as well. I'm sure the answer is no but if it's on record that I struggled last time they might inject a bit more pethidine beforehand.

I'll have to grit my teeth one way or the other, but hopefully if all is going to plan and the inflammation is reduced then it should be less painful. Fingers crossed!

I despise the procedure too. I've only had 3 but all three times I was screaming in pain when they moved the colonoscopy round the bends in the colon. I'm usually quite tolerant like with smear tests and biopsies etc. I guess we are unlucky maybe our colons are very small. I also feel after nearly a year on azathioprine the inflammation in my small bowel has not reduced. I see my GI in March so will ask for a colonoscopy then. If says no I'm going to ask to be transferred to a new hospital.

I'm sorry you had a rough time. Your GI will do the procedure, but you should have either a nurse anesthetist or an MD anesthesia doing your sedation. They are the ones who control your sedation. Sometimes you don't get to meet them until you are wheeled into the room. I usually tell them at that point that I had a previous bad experience where I woke up and kicked the person behind me ( true story) I then ask/beg that they please not let me hurt or be in pain. I have never had one not listen, a wiggling pt is hard to deal with. If I feel they aren't really listening well I find a way to drop in the conversation that they themselves would like to be asleep. I don't know if any of this is helpful to you. I have had over 20+ since the first one and they have all gone ok. Hope it goes well, let us know. I do understand your concerns.. good luck.

Thanks all, I didn't meet any of the team until I was wheeled into the room but I did say please give me as much sedation as possible as I was very nervous. I'll mention coming around and being in pain this time so hopefully that will do the trick :)

Not sure I would say "give me as much sedation as possible" I work as a nurse and unfortunately those words trigger the "drug seeker" reaction with a lot in the medical field. Just be honest with why you worry and how your last scope felt. Good luck.

Not sure I would say "give me as much sedation as possible" I work as a nurse and unfortunately those words trigger the "drug seeker" reaction with a lot in the medical field. Just be honest with why you worry and how your last scope felt. Good luck.

Lol!! Oops, I actually don't have any painkillers or anything potentially addictive on prescription or bought over the counter, but I see what you're saying!

emmaaaargh

Staff member
Oh my goodness, I could have written this post two weeks ago!! I had my first colonoscopy as an adult last Wednesday and I was nervous to the point of near-hysteria about it. I had two previous colonoscopies as a child (aged 9 and 13) but I was under deep sedation for both of them, so while I was technically awake, from my end, it was no different to being asleep. I knew that wasn't standard and, to be honest, didn't really want to spend ages in the hospital working off deep sedation, so I didn't ask for any stronger sedation beforehand.

I did mention my nerves to the staff in the endoscopy unit when I got in there, though, and they were all beautifully kind and understanding, and reiterated that if, at any point, I wanted to stop, then they would - something that I knew factually, but it was really reassuring to hear them say it.

But it was honestly fine. I did get sedation to begin with, but a pretty standard dose (1.5mg of midazolam, and some fentanyl for analgesia) and was told that they'd increase it if things got bad, which I was fine with, since in all honesty I wanted to watch the procedure on the screen :p There were a couple of painful parts, mostly because I have a twisty colon and a small rectum (I had to laugh at that part!!) so they gave me more fentanyl to get through those. But I had three nurses in the room plus the endoscopist doing the procedure, and all of them were lovely, chattering away with me and holding my hand when there was pain and asking how I was, so please don't panic. Their job is to make the procedure as easy as possible for you!

Also, don't worry about the aza possibly being ineffective. I was worried over it for a long time and afraid of what the scopes would show, so I really tried to avoid having one, but honestly getting a good look at what's going on inside means that, if your current treatment isn't working, you can change! You don't have to keep struggling with a reduced quality of life :) So I really hope the scope goes smoothly for you!!

Oh my goodness, I could have written this post two weeks ago!! I had my first colonoscopy as an adult last Wednesday and I was nervous to the point of near-hysteria about it. I had two previous colonoscopies as a child (aged 9 and 13) but I was under deep sedation for both of them, so while I was technically awake, from my end, it was no different to being asleep. I knew that wasn't standard and, to be honest, didn't really want to spend ages in the hospital working off deep sedation, so I didn't ask for any stronger sedation beforehand.

I did mention my nerves to the staff in the endoscopy unit when I got in there, though, and they were all beautifully kind and understanding, and reiterated that if, at any point, I wanted to stop, then they would - something that I knew factually, but it was really reassuring to hear them say it.

But it was honestly fine. I did get sedation to begin with, but a pretty standard dose (1.5mg of midazolam, and some fentanyl for analgesia) and was told that they'd increase it if things got bad, which I was fine with, since in all honesty I wanted to watch the procedure on the screen :p There were a couple of painful parts, mostly because I have a twisty colon and a small rectum (I had to laugh at that part!!) so they gave me more fentanyl to get through those. But I had three nurses in the room plus the endoscopist doing the procedure, and all of them were lovely, chattering away with me and holding my hand when there was pain and asking how I was, so please don't panic. Their job is to make the procedure as easy as possible for you!

Also, don't worry about the aza possibly being ineffective. I was worried over it for a long time and afraid of what the scopes would show, so I really tried to avoid having one, but honestly getting a good look at what's going on inside means that, if your current treatment isn't working, you can change! You don't have to keep struggling with a reduced quality of life :) So I really hope the scope goes smoothly for you!!

Thank you so much for that, it has put things in perspective! My quality of life is certainly better but it's not where it could be. I sometimes feel as though the IBD nurse goes off my blood tests too much, but these have never shown my inflammation markers to be elevated, even when I was diagnosed and the colonoscopy showed very severe activity. The staff as you say are absolutely fantastic, I really cannot fault them for a second. Me and one of the nurses were tittering together over a VERY good looking man in the waiting room [emoji28]

The Dr i saw last time visibly gasped when she saw the images and asked how long I was admitted for....they never admitted me which she thought was very odd. I feel as though I'm not taken as seriously because I don't suffer pain/diarrhoea much at all and I never have, my bloods are always normal etc. It's taken me 6 months of azathioprine, 2 courses of steroids and 8 weeks of the liquid diet to stabilise and that never lasts very long. I've barely managed to gain any weight back either, it's all very frustrating [emoji20]

This is a good way to get an accurate idea of how things actually are rather than going off tests which have obviously never been of much value to my treatment or credibility. Thank god the locum GI I used to see took a chance on me, things could have ended up much worse before I ended up with a diagnosis.

If I think of it as a positive thing going forward then that should make it easier. Either things are getting better in which case great, or they aren't and I get to feel a little smug 'I told you so.' [emoji6]

No pain no gain I guess!!

Lady Organic

Staff member
I think I had 5 full colonoscopies (I usully get short colonoscopy) in my life and if I remember correct only one was painful and where the sedation didnt work. I dont think pain killers can do anything personally, but you can ask. And I also tend to believe we cannot consume anything prior to the procedure. I have had some medical procedure where they advise to take pain medication (cervical procedure), but not for a colo. It is true colonoscopies can be painful, but keep in mind if this happens it will be only for a couple of minutes or seconds. Once its done, you barely remember it. :)

Sadly I remember every second once I came around through the pain. I watched the last 15-20 mins of the procedure on the screen and still remember the details of what I saw! Thankfully not all of it was painful. It was pretty funny though, I remember going under with 3 people in the room and coming around with about 10-12 people crammed in observing! [emoji23]

I've had upper GI endoscopies with and without sedation and either of those are much less stressful than a colonoscopy with pain relief and sedation in my experience.

I'm hoping that judging by my recent experiences and improvements in my energy levels, things are better than they were then. I'll find out soon!