• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fruit during a flare-up? (Orange juice)

I'm currently in a flare, and on a low fibre diet, which is very much no fruit at all, and yesterday I had a glass of orange juice with my lunch, and a couple of hours later, I had one of the most horrible bathroom trips ever! Could it really have been just a glass of orange juice that did the damage? Has anyone else experienced really bad reactions with fruit during a flare?

Hello, yes. It could have been the orange juice. Sometimes the sugar, natural or added can cause increased D with fruit juices. The best juice that feels 'safe' for me has been Harmless Harvest Organic coconut water.

Take care, hope you feel better soon.

Orange juice can run the insides out of people without crohns,just steer clear though bizarrely it's fine for me when topped up with vodka!

PsychoJane

Unfortunately, some simple things like these can rush through our bodies like no other. I know that grape juice is the worst for me even when not flaring. It just goes down making no stops...

Small quantity with food(essentially starchy (bread-rice-pasta) are generally the key to limit this but during a flare, it is possible this can't be enough.

There's no way that I could drink a glass of orange juice! It is far too acid for me.

There's no way that I could drink a glass of processed orange juice from a bottle! It is far too acid for me. This is because it has been pasteurized.

But I can drink the juice from oranges I squeeze myself.

It is freshly prepared raw juice ; as opposed to pasteurized and long-shelf-life.

And therefore alkaline (rather than acidic) in the body.

During a flare I drink freshly prepared lemon, lime, range and grapefruit juice and it is fine.

The only thing that would cause a horrible trip to the bathroom would be a glass of cows milk..........Mooooooooooooooo :smile:

Whether it's freshly squeezed or otherwise makes no difference to the effect of orange juice on me.

Whereas milk is perfectly fine for me - for preference full fat, single source (e.g. Jersey, Friesian) organic, non-homogenised. In fact, when my Crohn's was at its worst, dairy was one of the few things that I could tolerate. And my GI will confirm that.

Orange juice doesn't give me diarrhoea, but it can make my heartburn a bit worse, I guess because of the acid, but I like it and I also find myself short of fruit on a low fibre diet, so I do drink a bit.

Milk is great for me though - that helps with the heartburn and gives me no problems, even drinking quite a lot of it.

I would say, though, that one reaction doesn't mean it was the orange juice that made you ill - you'd need more reactions to know that it wasn't just coincidence.

One day I'll try it again just to see whether I get the same reaction, I could have been having an off day! Dairy hasn't been a problem for me either - thank God! Couldn't do without my ice cream and cheese!!

dairy was one of the few things that I could tolerate.
Lucky you. I wish I could eat it still.

I have always simply adored dairy - milk, cream, cheese, ice-cream, etc....

I can tolerate some organic full fat butter. But otherwise I have to totally avoid it all since being diagnosed with UC.

Have you tried yoghurt? Really good quality yoghurt (organic, full fat, like your butter for preference) with live cultures might be okay. I would introduce it small quantities and see how you go.

Have you tried yoghurt? Really good quality yoghurt (organic, full fat, like your butter for preference) with live cultures might be okay. I would introduce it small quantities and see how you go.
Yes tried it many times (even small quantities).......with bad results.

My gastro said that 80% of people who develop C&UC, also develop lactose intolerance and would need to avoid dairy.

I was so praying that it would NOT be me!

But he tested me at the same time I had my initial tests for UC and then gave me the bad news.

Think I was more upset at having the dairy news than the UC news!!

Fruit and fruit juices are an absolute no-no for me. Have made the mistake many times of thinking that perhaps "this time" it may be ok to have a fruit salad or whatever but no.... Cramps and all kinda horrible stuff, The worse fruit is oranges which now even the though of make me cringe, Funny how you miss stuff, and how you crave what you can't have.

My son can have fruits that are frozen (raspberries, mangoes, pineapples)in the smoothies and some with thick skin fresh (pinapple and mangoes) but he suffers from constipation and not diarrhea. He avoids all dairy. Life is tough. It is hard to deal with all of this.