• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question about Scopes and Biopsies in Undiagnosed 10-yr-old

My daughter had an endoscopy and colonoscopy last week because of several red flags for Crohn's. Besides family history (myself and 15-year-old son), she has been having right sided belly pain for years, and recently has had blood in stools, along with her weight not keeping up on the growth curve. Blood work previous to scopes was normal. Her scopes came back completely normal, with the exception of a small anal skin tag and some tissue that looked like it could be slightly inflamed or had recently been. I was honestly shocked. Happy, but shocked!! Lots of biopsies were taken and we're waiting on results. I should know the answer to this question, but I'm asking anyway. Is it possible for the biopsies to come back positive for Crohn's??

my little penguin

Staff member
In short Yes
Ds had a normal looking scope at dx
But biopsies confirmed Crohns(granulomas and chronic /acute inflammatory changes )

Also unless she has had MRE and pillcam
Crohns can't be ruled out

Good luck

In short Yes
Ds had a normal looking scope at dx
But biopsies confirmed Crohns(granulomas and chronic /acute inflammatory changes )

Also unless she has had MRE and pillcam
Crohns can't be ruled out

Good luck
I have a question for MLP. Many papers said that the granulomas in some CD's patients can be checked out. So what's about granulomas alway in your opinion?
CD's patients always have granulomas in intestine, but sometimes they can't be found.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Granuloma's are found in 40-60% of those with Crohn's.

My son's scope biopsies did not show granuloma's. The pathology report from his resection stated in the summary that he did not have convincing evidence of Crohn's due to the lack of granuloma's. There is no doubt that he has Crohn's Disease as visually confirmed by both the GI and the surgeon. Since potentially 40%+ don't have granuloma's when diagnostic tests are being conducted they can't be used as game breaker for a diagnosis, however if they are present on biopsy then that ticks another box for a firm diagnosis.