• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Periods have completely stopped :(

heyy :)

Has anybody elses periods totally stopped due to weight loss as a result of crohns?
i havent had a period since i was 18 ... im now almost 21 :/
i had lost rather a lot of weight ( 9 1/2 stone down to 5 stone 12)
but now im a healthy 8 stone :)<<< took rather a while :ymad:
so why havent my periods returned? im very worried :(
any opinions and guidance/ help would be very much appreciated :)
thankyouu :Flower:

Well done for putting the weight back on! I guess your Crohn's must be under control now?

Firstly, I would be asking your doctor to check you for any vitamin or mineral deficiencies or anaemia, just in case.

How tall are you? Or do you know your BMI? And can you remember what you weighed when your period stopped? Because sometimes to restart your period you might need a slightly higher BMI than you had when it stopped. Or you might need to maintain your weight a while.

PsychoJane

Hello!
While it is frequent to have a moment of interrupted periods or skipping a few cycles here and there when dealing with Crohn, I think that it would be important to discuss your problem with a GP, Gyne or even your GI considering your age and the fact you haven't had any period in a long time.

The reason behind this amenorrhea needs to be clarified. It can be element deficiencies but it may also be ovarian dysfunction, it could be a hypophysis disorder (too high level of prolactin(LTH) in your blood. The causes can be varied and your physician should be able to help you fix that issue. Sometimes its by giving certain hormones or other treatment to diminish what is too high/too low to allow your periods to happen as they should.

Thankyou Rebecca85 and PsychoJane for your replies!

Rebecca85 Thanks :D I have now got my crohns under control and am very pleased :). I am anemic and take 2 furrous gluconate a day. I am 5ft 3 and unsure how much I weighed when they stopped!

PsychoJane thankyou for your advise :) i will be sure to mention these when i see my gp

Hi :) my periods stopped completely for about a year after I had lost a large amount of weight when I was really sick. I wasn't really worried about it until I had gained some weight back and was feeling better, but my period still hadn't returned. I had stopped my birth control during that time so my dr put me back on it and explained that it usually triggers your period to start again. It worked! Maybe this could work for you too? I hope this helps?

Hi :) my periods stopped completely for about a year after I had lost a large amount of weight when I was really sick. I wasn't really worried about it until I had gained some weight back and was feeling better, but my period still hadn't returned. I had stopped my birth control during that time so my dr put me back on it and explained that it usually triggers your period to start again. It worked! Maybe this could work for you too? I hope this helps?

thankyou i have found this very helpful and will have a chat with my doctor! I also stopped my birth control at the time of being ill and hope this works for me 2! :sun:

My periods are always irregular due to this never ending flare & I went 5 months without having a period when I found out I had a rectovaginal fistula. I lost over 80 pounds at that time so I think the combo of the two just made me irregular. My GI put me on birth control to try to regulate my periods. It helped! I recently got off of them to see if my mensturation would become normal again but I've continued to lose weight & flare so I'm debating going back on them again.

My GI once told me: "Your only biological purpose on Earth is to have children. When you aren't well, like now, your body doesn't want you to get pregnant so mensturation stops. Funny how the body seems to care & wants to protect you."

Mine have stopped for the past six months. My GI reassures me at this time, it is normal when flaring to stop, and to not be too worried by it. In some ways I'm okay with it, for when I typically have my period by Crohns tends to have mini flares. I'm currently anemic, which can also lead to the absence of periods. I would be more concerned if I was trying to get pregnant, but that's years away for me.

my period stopped about 8 months ago. i never had regular periods before that (sometimes twice or three times a month or not for 2 months) but at least i still had one. in the past 5 months i have went down from 120 to 98-101. i think it coming back has to due with your nutrition levels and how well your body is overall functioning. it could also just be stress.

PsychoJane

Isn't not having periods like a good thing for girls? No pain and such? Or should I just run away now?...lol
LOL!

But yeah, to a point it is a good thing! Actually, quite a good thing for me when it happens. Due to medication, my poor system is a bit messed up on that aspect and well, I get lots months on and months off lol. But but but, the breaks are nice... but I do know that when it strikes back (I'm speaking for myself though, maybe it's only me), then it's hell for the first month. I think that my hormones stacks up and then just explode all together. Am I the only one that notice a difference?

My GI put me on birth control to try to regulate my periods
Out of curiosity, did your GI put you on a progestin-only pill?

He put me on a low dose BC called Loesterin 24 FE. I had a pediatric Gynecologist come see me in the hospital last November(I was admitted for a whole month due to that fistula & my Crohn's being crazy) & he suggested to my GI that I be put on BC to regulate things & see if it would help some of my pelvic pain(when I did have my period every few months, it hurt like crazy).

PsychoJane

Thankfully it's relatively low in estrogen(that is the compound you want to avoid because of our increase risk of blood clot that comes with having crohn). As far as I know, the risks are higher with pills that have 50micrograms and up of estradiol and your's only have 20micrograms so it is safer. Anyway, in case you did not know, there are a few progestin-only alternatives that have been shown to be safer on the overall.

PsychoJane

I have to admit I don't know if they are as appropriate to help restarting the menstruation though and that they have the down side of needing to be taken regularly (at the same time everyday).

That was the point my GI wanted. He wanted to make sure it was relatively low in estrogen. I have no issue taking pills at the same time everyday. I literally take 20 pills a day so it's not a issue ;) Idon't take the bc anymore though because it made my periods more painful(go figure). I'm not trying to get pregnant until probably 8-10 more years so I'm not worried about it :)