• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Well - found ONE trigger this weekend

I'm not sure if it's the grease or the spices.. She ate pizza (SUUUUPER greasy), and had NO problems at all..

I'm thinking of trying kosher dogs next.. if those give her problems, then no more hotdogs, bologna, etc..

yea == we let her know, no bologna anymore either. I am gonna try kosher dogs, because the meat used isn't processed. can't be to be Kosher

My son had a hot dog at a community BBQ a couple months ago. He hasn't had one since. Bad bellyache! For my son, it was more the fact that it is processed. I don't know how much real meat is in those things anyway!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I had a hot dog when I was kid and I was as sick as said dog! :lol: Haven't touched one since.

Dusty. :puke_r:

Kev

I heard that the 'artificial' skin used to make hotdogs is superbad. Growing up as I did, where I did... we'd make sausages, bologna, head cheese... so, I know the ingredients. A friend of the family... who loved head cheese purchased in the grocery store, but had no idea of the ingredients... watched (in horror) as my Dad whipped up a big batch one time.. and swore off of it for life. Anyway, as a family, we all ate the same stuff, but I'm the only one with IBD. Trigger foods can be tricky... like, you eat a pizza, and the proverbial hits the fan.. But, pizza is a combination of things.. like, for some, there is mozzarella... but also pizza mozzarella. The difference... fat content, lactose content.. different amounts.. some find pizza mozzarella makes a pizza taste greasy.. the cheese looks/feels almost slimy. Some places use frozen dough.. some make it from scratch.. it can make a difference in how much 'yeast' is still active.. and yeast can play havoc with some folks. Diet, figuring out what a person can tolerate, what specific triggers foods are waiting, lurking.. it isn't an easy exercise. For instance... I was on a hi protein, low fat diet.. but finding animal protein low in fat is not so easy. I would buy skinless and boneless chicken breasts.. at one point, the only way for me to digest these was to boil them. Amazing how much fat would boil out... and boiling made them soft, so digesting was easier. But... despite knowing they were 'good' for me, that my digestive tract was able to tolerate them.. mentally, emotionally, the mere thought of eating them was hard to 'swallow'... as it were. However, my list of non trigger, acceptable foods was so short... I really couldn't afford to be... picky. Incredible what you can get accustomed to. Sorry... got side tracked down bad memory lane. What triggered me to input my rambling 2 cents worth in... I wouldn't rush to rule out red meat (not advocating it, just that protein... in tolerable format.. is a basic building block for the body).. nor would I classify hotdogs (regardless of their contents) as red meat.. more like meat flavoured chemicals... Like, a lean cut of aged beef.. marinated prior to cooking (home made marinade, not more instant chemical marinades from a store.. those are atrocious), then broiled, or cooked on a health grill... then cut up into tiny pieces.. then masticated well.. might be tolerable in small amounts. On occasion. But, only trial, experimentation will tell. Hey, I'm no foodie.. or nutritionist.. or anything along those lines. Just someone whose memory of my 'bad' old days.. where eating was a nightmare.. a gauntlet I forced myself to get through.. was triggered by this post. The hard part is figuring out exactly what a person with IBD can tolerate. Once learned, the regimen of preparing, eating it is relatively easy. Except for boiled, skinless, boneless chicken. I hope you can avoid that...

Thanks Kev..

so far, it really is only Ball Park hotdogs that have given her issues this weekend. Since diagnosis she's had regular red meat (higher quality beef), without issue; as well as (believe it or not) school pizza == which did NOT bother her at all

hot dogs aren't food anyway :giggle:, so it's no problem for ME never buying them again. She's not much of a chicken person, but she'll eat my baked chicken; plus we put spaghetti sauce and cook it on the stovetop (cheater's cacciatore LOL) - she loves that, and that hasn't bothered her either

We avoid anything with nitrates as much as possible so lunch meats and hot dogs. On a rare occasion I will allow her a turkey dog which doesn't upset her as much.

Jack can do the oscar meyer all beef select - no nitrates but they are pretty spendy. We don't do the very often just once in a blue moon

kiny

I gave up on trying to find "trigger foods", my meals are with things I know I can tolerate. Almost always a bowl of rice with egg or shrimp or chicken and boring ramen soup without any spices. It has my carbs and protein. And EN when I lost weight.

I can't cook very well and I don't like a friend making me dinner, because they know I have crohn's disease and it's just complicated. I tend to go out to 2 places I know and they know how I want my food prepared. They know I have crohn's disease and don't put any spices in my dish and cook my meat really well so it's easy to digest.

When I ate random things and experimented I kept blaming the food, even though at times I was just sick, it wasn't the food. It just became a really easy way to live in denial about my disease. It became a sort of excuse for me, there was no reason get in contact with the doctor, because it was the food, I'll just stop eating it and I'll get better. I had a long list of foods I couldn't tolerate...a list to live in denial. With monotonous foods, it's hard to blame the food.

If you eat anything and then try to put things off from a sort of list...you end up with very little and you're left with a lot of doubt. You're never really sure if something is a trigger food, you just end up assuming lots of things. You often put really healthy things on the list, or you automatically assume certain foods must be bad for you, since the media said so and so. If you do the reverse and try to add very basic healthy foods to your meals, you end up with a healthy list of foods that you can tolerate. It will be far more monotonous, and it will be a very basic list, but it is easier to make that list than making a list of things you assume you can't tolerate. You also can't play the "blame the food" game this way. With a chronic disease it is really easy to live in denial and think everything must be caused by something you ate.

Last edited:
Honestly if you have to drop a food, hot dogs aren't nutritious so it could be worse, you could have to drop a superfood. Just might stink in social situations at a playdate though. Health wise your kid is probably better off for it.

Grace has an allergy for beef. We do chicken hotdogs. Theirs only one brand she can have because it's also corn free, milk free and sulfate free.

after a really good weekend for my daughter with no pain or throwing up and eating pretty good, last night she had diarrhea and throwing up, not sure if it was the shrimp with pasta or just a flu, she hasn't really eaten anything different and the shrimp she's always been fine with. so now I guess its all liquid till we figure this out. ugh she's so frustrated..