• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What's your CRP during a flare?

What is your CRP during a flare? (mg/l)

• <0.5

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • <1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • >1

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • >5

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • >10

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scipio

My CRP has always been low - in the normal range. And it stays there whether I'm in flare or in remission. CRP is not an informative marker in my case.

I am undiagnosed still but i can tell when I am having a bad flare or what i assume is. I have mucus on most stools and sometimes spots of blood.

So a month ago my gut was really bad and i was dropping weight and my crp was 5.5

Low iron and HGB dipped down a few points below normal for a Male.

I can't think of any other area of my body that would cause my CRP to elevate. The inflammation has got to be coming from my gut which has caused me problems since birth.

Anyway I am interested to hear what peoples levels are too that are diagnosed and have been diagnosed with knowledge of times of flare.

Whenever I am in a flare I phone my doctor but he says my blood tests are okay. He doesn't give me figures. I wonder whether he actually makes allowances for the figures to be out of normal range since he expects it to be slightly elevated so maybe my crp is slightly higher but he tells me it is okay because he knowd my crohns is the cause If that makes any sense?

My son has never had a CRP result indicative of the severity of his active flares with CD. His has always been the lower end of normal range.

Scipio

Whenever I am in a flare I phone my doctor but he says my blood tests are okay. He doesn't give me figures. I wonder whether he actually makes allowances for the figures to be out of normal range since he expects it to be slightly elevated so maybe my crp is slightly higher but he tells me it is okay because he knowd my crohns is the cause If that makes any sense?
This is why I always ask for and get a copy of the lab report for all my blood tests - so that I can see for myself what the actual value is an not just rely on the doc's subjective description of them. I keep copies of all lab and pathology reports in a file so that I can track progress, or lack thereof, over time. This way I might be able to spot developments or trends that the busy doctors might not notice.

This is why I always ask for and get a copy of the lab report for all my blood tests - so that I can see for myself what the actual value is an not just rely on the doc's subjective description of them. I keep copies of all lab and pathology reports in a file so that I can track progress, or lack thereof, over time. This way I might be able to spot developments or trends that the busy doctors might not notice.
LOL, I do the same thing. My GI's nurse likes to think she can interpret results because "she's seen so many," but she is not a doctor and I don't trust her interpretation. It happened before to me when I had all the symptoms of hypothyroidism, but the doctors claimed that my tests were normal. I looked at the levels since there were new guidelines and realized those doctors were old school and I was subclinical the whole time. I finally got diagnosed in 2012 after taking a medication that actually can cause thyroid disorders (didn't know it at the time) and started taking Synthroid, but I my problem is that I am low on T3 AND T4, so I take the dessicated thyroid. I first started with Armour, but it's made with corn, so I decided to ask my doctor to switch me to WP Thyroid, which is what I'm taking now and it works really well. :)

my little penguin

Staff member
Minitab- run a analysis to show +/-3sigma limits which shows what your number trend is and when to call.
Ds has a steady sed rate of 8 or 9 unless thing are going south
His numbers are never above normal even in flares ( only for severe infection )
So easy to plot /trend

Crp is always below normal regardless

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I have one that is very sensitive to inflammatory markers and another that isn’t.

My daughter’s CRP was always normal when her disease was well and truly in the severe category.

My son on the other hand, his inflammatory start to rise before he even knows himself that things are on the move symptom wise. At his worst his CRP was 352, that would be 35.2 in US measurements.

My CRP never was indicative for disease activity, neither for the gut nor for the Crohn's-associated arthritis (which left my first rheumatologist quite confused lol, but that isn't uncommon in fact, even though some gastroenterologists, rheumatologists, or my current GPs keep relying on CRP).

The last 3 times his CRP has been checked it has been .3 mg/l, .1 mg/l and .4 mg/l with NRR of 0.0 - 4.9 mg/l

Two of these, .4 and .1 were tested in the same time frame of scope. The scope, both times showed inflammation from anastamosis site at terminal ileum, a bit above that and throughout colon.

My levels are always normal but I can have inflammation in scopes same day. My level was only high during my first flare which was extreme

My CRP has always been low - in the normal range. And it stays there whether I'm in flare or in remission. CRP is not an informative marker in my case.
Mine as well. Every blood test I have my levels are always low which is the most frustrating thing. Just before I was diagnosed all my blood work came back normal and my GP was skeptical to even send me for a colonoscopy because of that. Eventually he did and of course it was shown I had Crohns.

Can't imagine how many people are turned away because their blood work shows up normal.

Mine as well. Every blood test I have my levels are always low which is the most frustrating thing. Just before I was diagnosed all my blood work came back normal and my GP was skeptical to even send me for a colonoscopy because of that. Eventually he did and of course it was shown I had Crohns.

Can't imagine how many people are turned away because their blood work shows up normal.

What did your colonoscopy show please as my bloods have come back normal but my colonoscopy has shown up things but my dr and consultant are still not convinced

Mine was at 181 a few weeks ago and it freaked out my Physician Assistant. She said I should have been at 8. I was in a bad way, but with Prednisone and Imuran I hope my blood tests today show a much lower rate. Almost 23 times what should be is too crazy.

The doctor who leads my support group said, "Holy Shit!" when I told him and the group.

What did your colonoscopy show please as my bloods have come back normal but my colonoscopy has shown up things but my dr and consultant are still not convinced
They found clusters of ulcers and open sores in my GI tract.best way I can describe it is picture a ‘popcorn ceiling.” They took a few biopsy’s and I was given the diagnosis. Do you know if they took any biopsy’s of anything suspicious looking?