• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Music as a tool to help your Crohn's

J

jyarmo

Ree's post in the "What music do you like" thread reminded me of a doctor's suggestion back in the day. The doctor suggested listening to classical music as a tool to help me relax when in pain. I tried this but found it did not work. I do not usually listen to classical music and was only playing it when I felt ill. As a result, hearing the music only reminded me that I wasn't feeling well in the worst place (which is what listening to the music was suppose to prevent!).

Have you utilized music when you were having a flair up/suffering from symptoms and did it help?

K

kneeby

music helps me get through the rough times, but it aint classical!!! heavy metalcore does the trick all the time! helps take my mind off everything.

R

ReeRee

Me too Kneeby! Something about that hard-hitting bass metal helps. I don't know why. Maybe the vibrations? But it works for me.

I saw on TV once that playing the harp helps heal stomach problems and that has something to do with the vibrations. I don't think I'll run on out and buy myself a harp tho...lol.

cookey

Mama Crohnie
Believe it or not, I use...and still do to this day, those tapes or cd's of nature sounds. Maybe it was just me, but they did wonders for calming the ole tummy down, on flare up days. Give it a try, worst case scenerio...you will sleep..lol.

J

jyarmo

Haha cookey, I was going to say....don't those tapes just make you fall asleep!!

I guess that IS the point then :D

R

ReeRee

I like those tapes too Cookey. I have one that is forest sounds with harp music and another with nothing but rain and thunder. I love 'em. My sister has one of the whales singing and it is beautiful!

I'm a singer/songwriter and if there's one surefire thing that will always make me feel better it is definitely playing and singing and just listening to music. It's a very powerful thing.

Music has helped me through a hell of a lot and makes a huge difference to my moods

I run my own online radio station which not only keeps my mind off the daily stress of being in pain etc but it keeps me busy esp on the days where i cant do much else from not being abled to walk much

Its mainly rave and dance music but does the trick for me lol

I like classical music but what you are describing jyarmo is called declarative memory. It is the same concept of when you remember a past event (i.e: date/dance) and the song takes you back to that moment.
I love music and wear a treble cleft almost all the time. I use to nanny these two little boys that were high energy (very high energy) and in the ca I would pop in a classical cd and it would mellow them right out. It is also a great motivator - loved it when I use to run...couldn't run without it.