• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What Career/Job Do You Have?

I was recently diagnosed after a few years of being considered IBS. After several autoimmune issues (Uveitis, Alopecia, Hashimotos) and extreme diarrhea, my second colonoscopy showed granulomas and ulcers, and I'm up for an MR Enterography before official diagnosis. I'm a high school English teacher, and it has been really hard to stay on top of things. I have adjusted my food intake to ensure that my worst times are after school/early morning. However, it is really hard to keep up with all of the grading/planning during nights/weekends. I love teaching, but a less stressful job/job with no work to bring home would be more ideal. I used to work in business, and I'm regretting my transition into education. I am passionate about it, but my health gets in the way :(

I am an anesthesiologist dx in 1996 just after completing training-currently sidelined because of Crohn's and Crohn's related issues

I was recently diagnosed after a few years of being considered IBS. After several autoimmune issues (Uveitis, Alopecia, Hashimotos) and extreme diarrhea, my second colonoscopy showed granulomas and ulcers, and I'm up for an MR Enterography before official diagnosis. I'm a high school English teacher, and it has been really hard to stay on top of things. I have adjusted my food intake to ensure that my worst times are after school/early morning. However, it is really hard to keep up with all of the grading/planning during nights/weekends. I love teaching, but a less stressful job/job with no work to bring home would be more ideal. I used to work in business, and I'm regretting my transition into education. I am passionate about it, but my health gets in the way :(
Sounds like it's time for a change :)

I'm a self employed hair stylist. I love my job! I pay a lot for health care since I'm self employed. It is a hard job because I'm on my feet all the time. My clients are very understanding. Lol! I mean when you have to go you just have to go:) I think if there is something you really want to do you should go for it! You only live once right! I wouldnt change my job for anything! Good luck!!!!!

I think any career where you can work from home is ideal. I started working from home through other circumstances two years ago and it's a huge difference. I don't want to work in a traditional office again because whenever I'm sick now, I can just clock out and take care of business, then clock back in. Plus, I can get laundry and little chores done in small, workable spurts during the day instead of facing chore swarms on the weekend (insert laundry, wait 1 hour, take 5 mins to fold laundry, wait an hour, take 5 mins to put away laundry). Chore breaks are like coffee breaks. Anything where you can telecommute is way more flexible--plus no weirdness using the public potty all day or having people wonder where you go all the time when you're not at your desk. Good luck to you!

before i was diagnosed with crohns i worked as a carpenter for many years.building new homes and remodeling existing.i was very good at what i did and really enjoyed it.shortly after i was diagnosed i changed careers and now work as an assistant building official(code enforcement official)this change was nice as it would still allow me to work in the construction field.this change has helped me in so many ways.much better insurance and plenty of paid time off which helps for my infusions and flare ups.

I went to college for graphic design, I'm not too shabby at it, though I was pretty terrible when I first got out and still have a long way to go.

I couldn't find anything in the field so I started looking at more basic minimum wage jobs. I bombed an interview at Guitar Center pretty bad, forgot everything I knew on the spot and made an ass of myself but that's typically how a first interview ever goes right?

I waited months and finally got another interview at a grocery store where I felt I nailed it but got the "why aren't you looking for a job in your field" run down and feel I was turned away for being 'overqualified' as in I went to college, despite never having had a real job, and thus they won't take me because I might expect better pay or quit for a 'real' job soon idk.

At about this point I had really bad symptoms, this was when my gluten intolerance started but of course I had no idea what it was just that I was incredibly ill. For a long time I'd been tottering on the idea that I'm sick but am I sick enough that it's fair for me to collect disability?

Well I hit the wall where I was so sick that it wasn't really a dilemma anymore, got approved pretty fast for SSI. I'm hoping to get on medicare/medicaid because my prescriptions are really expensive and I'd like to be able to pay for my own food so my parents don't have to.

Now I'm well but still unstable, if I have just a little of something I shouldn't, like a few granules of black pepper get on my food, I won't sleep that night, I'll be too busy on the can. That's just not something conducive to a work environment.

Before I got sick I was doing some contract work in design for a couple of guys that were starting up a t-shirt/informational business doing aggressive anti-racism speeches. I did some stuff, gave them about 4 final designs, they paid me a small but fair amount and then their business plan kind of fell through.

Well they contacted me earlier this month and want to get stuff started again, I'm wondering if this could be a risk to my SSI? It's not technically an income, it's pay per design, and I'm not even 100% on how many designs I'll be making but barely enough to put gas in the tank, let alone bills.

Anyone know about this? If it came down to it I'd do it for free just to be part of something.
I know you can make so much per month without it affecting your SSI. You need to contact them and find out how much that is. Many people do partime work on SSI. Hope this helps!

I work level 1 help desk support. My bosses have been nothing short of fantastic in understanding what I go through. Every now and then I'll be stuck on a call when nature decides to call. That's when things get entertaining:runaway:

I'm an Internal Auditor for hospitals. I resigned a bit ago. Just yesterday I was offered 2 jobs that are full time but because sick , they would let me do PT. after being so sick yesterday, I'm not sure how I'm ever going back to work. Very discouraged.

I'm a doctorate of pharmacy graduate, spend 14+ hours/day on my feet in the pharmacy. Dr. Says NO MORE, but cant give up what i love! Ugh tummy/booty hates me!! -hugs-

Emily,
Congrats! It's a tough program so stay conscientious of your body. The stress will be great, as may the flare. I'm so excited for you!! You will do well. Good luck hun. -hugs-

Sales for a Biotech company. Traveling required 1/4 of the year, sometimes local. Degree in Biology. My hopes are to switch careers in the future to work with animals and become an animal keeper or a speaker for conservation/tour guide for private groups. I gain energy from being around people.

I am currently undiagnosed. If I do have IBD, it is very mild. The stress from sales sets my stomach off though.

I am a pharmacy technician currently working at a local, closed-door pharmacy with access to a unisex bathroom. It is a great place to work, and I have very supportive coworkers with whom I have worked with through my initial diagnosis. I am also a nursing 101 student. That being said, are there any current nurses out there with Crohn's that may offer some advise or input on how you deal with Crohn's in your profession?

I work in IT and thankfully I work from home full time. My manager and direct team know of my condition, but senior management dont. I think its better that way as I dont believe they would really understand if I was ill.

Right now I work as a host for Olive Garden. It's pretty okay, I get basic insurance. Having a standing job isn't always the best for Crohn's though, and the pay is not that great. I'm on the hunt for a better paying, office type job. No luck thus far though. I would really love to go back to school and get a masters to teach art. Also I am working on a graphic novel I hope to publish online.

Crohn's is an expensive chronic illness, so I am having trouble making ends meet with my little food service job.

Graduated with a BA in Fashion Marketing & Management before being diagnosed. Worked as an assistant manager, intern, sales, personal stylist, and then customer service for a huge company. Different managers have different feelings about this illness. Some really thought I was playing 'hooky' so to speak as sometimes in Retail you wear lots of makeup, dress up all nice, etc and well, you all know the "you don't look sick."

The customer service position was the best for me because I sat at a desk mostly and made phone calls. I was lucky to find something within the company that was right for my health.

However, after Hurricane Sandy-I'm from the NYC area-they made major cuts and I was one of them. :/ Then I had surgery and now I'm on unemployment.

Finding something that is easier on my body is going to be hard, but I'm going to try.

I am a Business travel consultant and work full time. Work are not so understanding as they dont have a great deal of knowledge about the disease, however one of my colleagues also had UC but had the operation a few years back and has never felt better. It is good having her around as she lets my boss know just how bad UC is and how totally dibilitating it can be.

I guess it could be worse, I could be a bus driver with no toilet on hand!! :ybiggrin:

My son was turned down for the military too. You need to be close to a bathroom at all times. Something with a computer that's not stressfull, but my son is on disability, he's only 18 so it's called SSI. But hopefully sometime in the future he can get stabalized enough to think about job training and working. Best wishes for you.:rosette1:

Hey,
I'm 45 and on disability. My last job ended in 2005 when I took too much time beyond FMLA to deal with Crohns issues and depression. I was a "Systems Analyst" with an Army contractor - mostly a desk job and bathrooms nearby. Prior, I had been in graduate school on a Ph.D. track in Physics, but stopped to deal with Crohns and depression issues as well. I did at least earn my M.S. and get some lab experience. Right now, as a result of better therapy for depression (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) I feel like I'm more awake than I've ever been. My experience is that psychiatric (psychotropic) drugs don't mix well with Crohns meds. I'm looking at trying to get back to work. The Federal Government has a "Schedule A" plan, and there are Employer Networks through Social Security's "Ticket to Work" but I'm still early in this process so I'm not sure how it all works out. Life with Crohns as you know is challenging, and so is finding work when there could be gaps of years to explain. I have to say, the people on this forum have a great spirit, and that is essential. Eckhart Tolle's writings have helped a lot to turn my mindset about, among other things. And certainly being in a helpful mindset is necessary for holding down a job and thriving at work. Hope some content here is useful. USAjobs and your state's workforce exchange may be helpful sources.
Best Regards, Adam

I am a diversional art therapist in the mental health secter. I am also a counseller but steering clear from that at this point in time. I need my life force for me and it has been a not so pleasant journey . Even when I know all the coping strategies it hasn't really helped all that much when day after day after day the majority of my time is spent either on the loo or making sure I have one very near by and when one is in pain it is very difficult to really care too much about other peoples issues' I love the work when I am well but alas I am not.

I am a social worker, working in a therapeutic role with children and young people who have experienced abuse. My staff team and bosses have been wonderful. Incidentally I am one of those people who don't take time of for colds or minor ailments so my sick time is purely down to crohns alone, suck as vomiting, pain etc. I have held this job for 9 years and during that time I have had 5 serious surgeries requiring 3 months sick leave on each occasion.

I'm a freelance graphic designer, and work at home. I love the work and am so happy to be at home. I'm not sure how an employer would react to my latest doctor's order to take 3 sitz baths a day. It's less stressful to me to be at home, but there is definitely some stress in my work, and running a business. It's not always like that, just when I get too busy, have too tight of deadlines, or something goes wrong. Most days it is doable, and I like it enough that I'd probably do it anyway even if I wasn't getting paid. I went into the profession because I loved it, but also because I knew a lot of people end up getting to work freelance out of their house, and that was my ultimate goal, even not realizing how Crohn's would affect me later on.

I'm an audio/commercial producer during the week, and musician during the weekends. If anyone is keen to check out my band's tunes hit me up n I'll throw y'all some links.

Bar keep... I love it, but it can be tough sometimes. Rushing to the bathroom, on my feet for 8-12 hours. Heavy lifting. I wonder sometimes how much longer I can do it...
If like me, till your back gives out or your tummy! I herniated a disc in my lower back stocking coolers that were really deep and then bent down to wash glasses and I got this stabbing pain that took my breath away, I couldn't even walk. Had surgery 2 weeks later. It still gives me trouble 15 yrs. later. Nerve damage and scarred tissue. But it was a fun job, just really demanding. I cooked and bartended at the sametime, you want to talk about crazy! It was a small tavern but did get very busy sometimes. I still can't believe I did all that!:ylol2:Must'vebeen crazy!:ybatty:

My son is the on with the Crohn's, he is only 18, doesn't work. I only work part time, taking care of him is a part-time, sometimes full time job. But I am a Foot Reflexologist, it's kinda like accupuncture without the needles, the nerve ending mostly respond to all the different areas of the body to help restore your body's ability to heal what it can. It basically feels like a very intense foot massage. 25 years I've been doing it. My son now won't let me touch his feet anymore.

Yesterday my son, Brad, with Crohn's ask me if I thought he'd make a good lawyer, I was pleased to know he's thinking about school.

That's a great attitude he has. That means he knows he will get better! Keep encouraging him to follow his dreams. He may turn out to be the best darned lawyer around! Blessings! T:)

I've worked in social care for the last 15yrs.

I've been in my new job for 4 months as a family support advisor its intensive parenting support mainly in the home i don't have a car so i bus it all over south Leeds so its pretty impossible to do if i'm in a flare. Unfortunatly i started with a flare 2 months into my new job and had 2 months off sick so i don't think i've made the best impression!

I've only been back 2 weeks and i now have a full blown cold...but obviously i don't entertain the idea of having time off for a cold...but i'm in a bit of a funk about it all my manager is really supportive but i have already been interegated by personnel and top management about if i'm fit for purpose...its depressing...i'm good at my job...i love the work but its tireing trying to convince them that flares for me are really rare (i haven't had one in 6 years) contracts are being renewed in 3 months and i just have a bad feeling and alredy feel under the microscope...and i think if i lost this job who the heck would take me on with 2 months sick on a 6 month contract?

Sorry went into a bit of a whinge there...sometimes i think i should just get an admin job it would make life easier....but i would just find it so boring!

Andie x

Dear Andie, hope you feel better soon, thank you for sharing and don't ever feel bad about going on about what your going through, that's part of the process of support. Brenda Kinsey:)

I work in a museum, as a gallery assistant/exhibition designer which is pretty physical. I've also been a TV camera operator, and I'm a freelance video producer too.

All in all, they're pretty physical jobs which really takes it out of me on the days where my relapse is getting the better of me.

Andie if you are dropped in the review your illness is covered by the disability discrimination act as a long term illness which waxes and wanes, when the current government is trying to get disabled people back into work your organisation may be on rocky ground. You are like me we don't take the minor illnesses of and our sick time is usually long term so counted as 1 period of a absence good luck

Sorry to hear that Taylorali! I pray you find another job that suits you hun!
;)
I hear you well about until the money runs out or.... back trouble.. etc..

I'm current applying for disability myself and I'm not even the IBD patient.
I can only walk with special shoes because of feet and knees, lost part of my job. My neck is trashed, already had surgery. But when I ask myself if I would trade with Brad's condition I would prefer not, though if trades like that were possible ofcourse I'd take it from him.

Doctors ofc called to give me Brad's test result yesterday, but I was out with Brad and they just said to call them back. today we have a terrible winter storm and I doubt they open for a few days. Is there a reason they would leave the results of his latest C-Diff test on the answering machine?:ybatty:

Has any one noticed that we all do jobs that make other people feel better or sort out other peoples issues.People contact overload ????????

I'm currently a student, but in my spare time I:

Run a tiny business/social enterprise refurbishing old unwanted bicycles and selling them to students for peanuts.
Work as a student ambassador, talking to prospective students about my experiences with the University and the course I study.

I got a message from Devvynsmom, she said I should start a new thread, this was helpful. It under, Parend with children with IBD, Chon's with C-Diff. My updates are there. Have a great day, thanks for helping me to get through some rough patches here!

I'm a system administrator which lets me work from home. Frankly, I don't know how all of you who go out and work a 9-5 do it everyday. You all have my utmost respect.

I'm now having to type 1 handed, i have one hand wrapped up until i go to the skin dr on monday, hope this rash is just atheletes foot from somebody i worked on, and not some flesh eating disease!

tomorrow i take brad to his current gi dr., its going to be a long day, it's not until 4:00, far away !!!

I'm now having to type 1 handed, i have one hand wrapped up until i go to the skin dr on monday, hope this rash is just atheletes foot from somebody i worked on, and not some flesh eating disease!

tomorrow i take brad to his current gi dr., its going to be a long day, it's not until 4:00, far away !!!
Kinsey, what is wrong with your hand? What type of rash is it?:(

I took the think I had it wrapped in off last night, it actually feel off while sleeping. It's were my wedding ring were, it started cause they were way too tight even though I had them stretched a while back, my fingures must still be growing! My I worked on this one ladies feet last month who must have never washed them in years. So it's kinda in the webbing between the ring finger and the middle finger. I made an apt. with a dermatologist for Monday (they had a cancellation). I really think its athletes foot. And now the top of my palm is itching a bit. Must wear cloves now.

Also, my right knee has been killing me for days, today should be quite interesting, won't get back home until atleast 6:30. I'm going to bite the bullet and take some Ibuprohen, it is hard on my stomach so I must eat.:rof:

I took the think I had it wrapped in off last night, it actually feel off while sleeping. It's were my wedding ring were, it started cause they were way too tight even though I had them stretched a while back, my fingures must still be growing! My I worked on this one ladies feet last month who must have never washed them in years. So it's kinda in the webbing between the ring finger and the middle finger. I made an apt. with a dermatologist for Monday (they had a cancellation). I really think its athletes foot. And now the top of my palm is itching a bit. Must wear cloves now.

Also, my right knee has been killing me for days, today should be quite interesting, won't get back home until atleast 6:30. I'm going to bite the bullet and take some Ibuprohen, it is hard on my stomach so I must eat.:rof:
Wow, weird coincedence, my right knee has been so bad for a week now ,actually longer, more like two. Dr. said not to wear a brace because nothing is torn. It's probably from the arthritis or twisting wrong when I clean at my sisters. She has a huge house and pays me to clean.

Wow, weird coincedence, my right knee has been so bad for a week now ,actually longer, more like two. Dr. said not to wear a brace because nothing is torn. It's probably from the arthritis or twisting wrong when I clean at my sisters. She has a huge house and pays me to clean.
I called this law firm and found out that even though I'm still working part time I can file for disability, which I am, and you can still work part time afterwards too.

It's Friedman & Associates, the law firm who is handling it (at now cost to me) you should call and talk to them, just ask a few questions maybe, see what they say, they are up front and will tell you they won't take your case if they don't believe they will win. And they just take 25% of the retroactive money from the date you turn in the paperwork, which is pretty easy. Whaat do you think about that? There phone number is 404.659.7799.

Cleaning is like giving massages, dirty hard. Kinsey:eek2:

I called this law firm and found out that even though I'm still working part time I can file for disability, which I am, and you can still work part time afterwards too.

It's Friedman & Associates, the law firm who is handling it (at now cost to me) you should call and talk to them, just ask a few questions maybe, see what they say, they are up front and will tell you they won't take your case if they don't believe they will win. And they just take 25% of the retroactive money from the date you turn in the paperwork, which is pretty easy. Whaat do you think about that? There phone number is 404.659.7799.

Cleaning is like giving massages, dirty hard. Kinsey:eek2:
Thanks Kinsey. It took my sister two years to get her ssi when she filed and she had ulcers on her feet that were the size of grapefruits. She had them 13 years and her feet got deformed from the way she had to walk. She got it finally and she is having surgery on one foot the 29th of this month so she can maybe walk again normally.Then they would have to do the other one. They are taking out the bones and reshaping them and putting them back in. Her feet and legs got too skinny to put pins in from being wrapped all those years. :(I did apply once years ago and backed out. I couldn't believe all the paperwork and stuff they wanted. It was the biggest hassle! But I am considering it. Would they come to PA. for this case???

No, itt's done through the mail and do most all the paperwork for you. I tried it myself before too, I'd never do that again. Sorry about ur sister.

Went to doctor with Brad, he scheduled his next colonoscopy for April 11, if the CDiff is gone. He is now 5'11" and only weighs 111 lbs. Have you heard of Aracol for Crohn's,that's what he's on, may have the name wrong.

I have to wait until the 29th of April to see my rheumatolgist, I could finish a book befoe that,writing one I mean!!! I'm really ok except for my knees, feet,back, neck, wrist and depression and anxiety!!!

I'm up in the middle of the night, knee pain, writing 1 handed again.

Kinsey

My daughter got a job 2 months ago doing waitressing in a pizza shop.
She is saving her money for a car and has already got $600....she hasn't even got her learners permit..:yfaint:

No, itt's done through the mail and do most all the paperwork for you. I tried it myself before too, I'd never do that again. Sorry about ur sister.

Went to doctor with Brad, he scheduled his next colonoscopy for April 11, if the CDiff is gone. He is now 5'11" and only weighs 111 lbs. Have you heard of Aracol for Crohn's,that's what he's on, may have the name wrong.

I have to wait until the 29th of April to see my rheumatolgist, I could finish a book befoe that,writing one I mean!!! I'm really ok except for my knees, feet,back, neck, wrist and depression and anxiety!!!

I'm up in the middle of the night, knee pain, writing 1 handed again.

Kinsey
Sorry hon you are in so much pain! Asacol is what I was on first for crohn's but it did nothing for me. Brad sounds like he could use some nutrition (enterol). Poor guy! Sounds horrible! Praying for him and you sweet lady! Gotta go for now. Ladies group this morning.:hug:

Sorry hon you are in so much pain! Asacol is what I was on first for crohn's but it did nothing for me. Brad sounds like he could use some nutrition (enterol). Poor guy! Sounds horrible! Praying for him and you sweet lady! Gotta go for now. Ladies group this morning.:hug:
I'm stll one handed! Hope group meeting went well. I'm not sure thaat is the med. bradley is taking, it's like Acatol. He just called to ask me to co-sign a loan for a new car, he' lost his mind.

I have another of many dental apts. at 4:30 today, haven't told my hubby that I need one crown an that' after my dental is maxed for the year!

This doctor seems pretty sure Bradley is going to clear the Cdiff by next week, Ha, ha, though I am praying. After the colonoscopy, presumming they are able to do it on April 11, the next thing is his first upper GI.

Kinsey, hugs right back at you!:ycool:

My daughter got a job 2 months ago doing waitressing in a pizza shop.
She is saving her money for a car and has already got $600....she hasn't even got her learners permit..:yfaint:
She sounds responsible,congrads for that, mine are not. My son with Crohn's with C- diff just called to ask me to co-sign for a car with nothing saved and can't even pay his phone bill on time. Kinsey:(

I'm stll one handed! Hope group meeting went well. I'm not sure thaat is the med. bradley is taking, it's like Acatol. He just called to ask me to co-sign a loan for a new car, he' lost his mind.

I have another of many dental apts. at 4:30 today, haven't told my hubby that I need one crown an that' after my dental is maxed for the year!

This doctor seems pretty sure Bradley is going to clear the Cdiff by next week, Ha, ha, though I am praying. After the colonoscopy, presumming they are able to do it on April 11, the next thing is his first upper GI.

Kinsey, hugs right back at you!:ycool:
Keep me posted Kinsey! Hope Brad is taking probiotics too and vit. D3 and all that good stuff! Hope you get all your probs. straightened out too hon!
Group was great and I got my bloodwork done after. Tmro is MRI with contrast for kidneycheck. I hope this is the last yr. for it. God willing! Keep me posted on your progress and Brads!:hug:

I hear you well about until the money runs out or.... back trouble.. etc..

I'm current applying for disability myself and I'm not even the IBD patient.
I can only walk with special shoes because of feet and knees, lost part of my job. My neck is trashed, already had surgery. But when I ask myself if I would trade with Brad's condition I would prefer not, though if trades like that were possible ofcourse I'd take it from him.

Doctors ofc called to give me Brad's test result yesterday, but I was out with Brad and they just said to call them back. today we have a terrible winter storm and I doubt they open for a few days. Is there a reason they would leave the results of his latest C-Diff test on the answering machine?:ybatty:
If you sign a special form in the docs office, they will be allowed to leave test results on answering machine.

Let me see... I've been a homeschool mom and still am. Well sorta. The concussion did a number on that. Dear daughter is very responsible and an A student in both her homeschool co-op classes and college classes. While being a homeschool mom, I also worked as a gymnastic instrutor until I injured both ankles. Took two years for the one ankle to stop hurting. I wonder if this was the beginning of my RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy). About 3 years ago I got RSD from a break in my foot. RSD spread quickly throughout my body. Unable to work now.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
David Heesch,

Can you please stop posting the same post/thread in the various forums. I note you state that this is NOT a sales pitch but by doing so it is sounding exactly like one.

Dusty. :)

I am a mathematician. I'm currently a postdoctoral fellow at a university doing research and teaching. I'm struggling with balancing work and sickness, especially since academia is extremely competitive. I'm contemplating moving more in the industry direction for several reasons, one of which is that a beginning tenure track position has a very full course load. I love teaching, but I'm having a hard enough time teaching one class - the work load is fine, but having to stand in front of a class for 1-2 hours reliably is not possible. Don't get me wrong - I push through it 99% of the time. But that 1% of the time... I had a bad episode in the middle of my Calculus 3 lecture once - I thought I could stop it by taking a bathroom break, but ended up having to run out of the room to throw up. It was horrible. I've thrown up on the subway more times than I can remember, but having to cut my students lecture time in half was far worse. I feel like I fail them when this happens. I always get my work done, always meet with students outside of class, but I feel that if I can't be reliable in the classroom, I should transition somewhere else. A place where I can still relay knowledge to others but where I can have more freedom in my work situation.

Are there any other academics/ scientists out there going through something similar, or who have gone through something similar and have words of advice?

Also, I have colitis and Irritable bowel syndrome. I was diagnosed in late 2011.

I am a drainage surveyor I am on the road all day m-f 7-5 ish I have a porta loo in my van ( not nice when it needs emptying) my boss has no idea what crohns is and as long as I can produce the work it's not a problem if I need to go to an appointment as long as I give decent notice its no problem.:ylol::dance::dance: but I have to take it as unpaid or holiday

I,m not working just now was a central heating engineer,mobile,no toilet facilities was awkward at times,was offered a bigger van so I could use a pail!not the best idea

I am a mathematician. I'm currently a postdoctoral fellow at a university doing research and teaching. I'm struggling with balancing work and sickness, especially since academia is extremely competitive. I'm contemplating moving more in the industry direction for several reasons, one of which is that a beginning tenure track position has a very full course load. I love teaching, but I'm having a hard enough time teaching one class - the work load is fine, but having to stand in front of a class for 1-2 hours reliably is not possible. Don't get me wrong - I push through it 99% of the time. But that 1% of the time... I had a bad episode in the middle of my Calculus 3 lecture once - I thought I could stop it by taking a bathroom break, but ended up having to run out of the room to throw up. It was horrible. I've thrown up on the subway more times than I can remember, but having to cut my students lecture time in half was far worse. I feel like I fail them when this happens. I always get my work done, always meet with students outside of class, but I feel that if I can't be reliable in the classroom, I should transition somewhere else. A place where I can still relay knowledge to others but where I can have more freedom in my work situation.

Are there any other academics/ scientists out there going through something similar, or who have gone through something similar and have words of advice?

Also, I have colitis and Irritable bowel syndrome. I was diagnosed in late 2011.
That's an ironic position. I am trying to do the opposite. I think it depends on the specifics of your condition. For me, I have to sit at a desk 9+ hours a day in a crowded office area of cubicles. Lab time is limited as our higher ups are too cheap to purchase real equipment. We spend way too much time on computers doing simulations and B.S. paperwork. Not ideal for me.

The position I'm moving to has me teach no more than an hour at a time, which is not an issue. I can take bathroom and snack breaks in between. If my urgency was more relentless, I could see this being a problem, so I understand your point.

With the new position, I do not have to share an office with anyone so mentally, I get some rest from that stress of being the weirdo in the cubical farm who is always making trips to the restroom, eating crunchy foods (for good reason) or making strange sounds.

I can also sit or stand as I please. A big difference for me as for whatever reason, sitting for prolonged periods aggravates my condition.

All the best with the path you follow regardless. It is tough to navigate and we ultimately can only depend on ourselves and our own judgments based of our own experience and research, in the journey to cope with the condition

Karen

FRIEND 4 1 & ALL
My hubby works for a COMPANY that has been wonderful ... When he went into the hospital and they told him he had Crohn's and then he had all that time in { 10 days } and then he had to go thru all the remicade treatments ... THEY PICKED UP EVERYTHING !! And so he works for a COMPANY called: Raytheon

My hubby works for a COMPANY that has been wonderful ... When he went into the hospital and they told him he had Crohn's and then he had all that time in { 10 days } and then he had to go thru all the remicade treatments ... THEY PICKED UP EVERYTHING !! And so he works for a COMPANY called: Raytheon
What a wonderful company!!! he is blessed and highly favored!

I'm glad to hear they are taking care of him. Raytheon really screwed a bunch of folks on health insurance and retirement plans awhile back.

I'm glad to hear they are taking care of him. Raytheon really screwed a bunch of folks on health insurance and retirement plans awhile back.
That may be the one positive with my situation. It is a government lab so health insurance has been fairly reliable as far as access.. .though rates have doubled since I started 6 years ago...

But with furloughs, the law of diminishing returns is taking affect.

I worked for the United States secret Service for 23 years. I have been had Crohn's since 1986. Right now I own my own company. I work with Border Collies to rid properties of Canada Geese.

I am a vet assistant in a vet clinic. I help prep, monitor, recover the animals through surgeries, assist the vet with treatments, test etc. little of everything! I love it! I have been working there for 6 years now, 8 really since I volunteered there for 2 years before I got hired.

Unfortunately I am going to be forced to find another job soon. I have to find a job with health insurance, and the place I work at has no benefits. I have no choice, I cant go without insurance because of my remicade exp. I'm praying I can find another position at another veterinary clinic! I'd hate to be forced to do something I don't love just because I couldn't find any job that offers health insurance. Just have to think positive!

Last edited:
US Army Infantry soldier for now, I have 12 years in. Unfortuantely even if I stay in remission on Humira I have to get out. I would have to stay in remission with no or a medicine that allows me to go to 3rd world countries to stay in.

US Army Infantry soldier for now, I have 12 years in. Unfortuantely even if I stay in remission on Humira I have to get out. I would have to stay in remission with no or a medicine that allows me to go to 3rd world countries to stay in.
Thank you for so much for your service under even tougher circumstances than those the average soldier experiences!

All the best going forward.

Capital markets lawyer. Because of the nature of work I am doing (transactions that can also have rough times with weekend work and working through the night) I would generally say it's not a good job for people with Crohn's. But I am in a great team and have learned to cope with hard work and long hours without getting into trouble with my Crohn.

I worked in the not-for-profit recruitment sector as a member of a small team focusing on the age group of 16-24. I was a Training Officer and it was my responsibility to ensure that our clientele had all the certification necessary for progressing into employment. We shared huge success and out of 180 clients we saw 50 pass into employment and a further 120 pass through successfully into training. Unfortunately we suffered funding struggles and I am now currently unemployed and looking for work.

:(