• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Worst tasting colonoscopy prep

OMG, this is the worst tasting colonoscopy prep I have had to date. Drink 8 oz every ten minutes...it's going to take me the whole ten minutes to get a cup down without throwing up. Uggggghhh why can't they make this stuff taste decent!?!!!????
:puke_r:

I have had my fair share of preps. I guess that's the up side to having a Jpouch. Now my preps consist of no food after 12:00pm the day before and two fleet enemas two hours before for "pouchoscopy". I will say, I had one prep that tasted like plastic and gasoline. That's the only way to describe it. I had to chase it with sprite to wash the taste out of my mouth. I didn't know if I could hold it all down. Best of luck to you!

I'm sorry Mondowicked, but your thread title made me laugh. I think every colonoscopy prep is the worst tasting. I believe the flavors that are available are:

-horrible
-putrid
-vile
-repulsive
-OMG
-loathsome
-cherry-vanilla

(They make cherry-vanilla? Well, they call it cherry-vanilla, but it tastes more like puke) :tongue:

Thanks for the reply! I haven't been keeping up with the pace. Good thing I started early. The sprite idea has helped! I tried peppermint tea and then ginger tea before reading your idea. They helped, but not as much as swishing with fizzies.

More seriously, the only suggestions I have is to try to drink it as fast as you can (less time to linger in your mouth) and then rinse your mouth with either Sprite or ginger ale. But there is no good answer.

The reason they can't taste good is they're in general very electrolyte dense, to replace what you're losing via all the BMs. So in order to cover up that taste they'd need to use another taste you pick up on your tongue - sweet. It would require an inordinate about of sweeteners that would likely make it really unhealthy and make the BMs even more intense.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Pico-salax is called Prepopik in the US - I did it for my last prep. I don't believe there was an option for flavors, but it tasted fine - it was almost yummy! Kind of fizzy like soda and it tasted a little like orange maybe? It is difficult to describe the taste, but it wasn't bad at all. Prepopik or the Gatorade + Miralax prep seem to be some of the most palatable ones.

Pico-salax is called Prepopik in the US - I did it for my last prep. I don't believe there was an option for flavors, but it tasted fine - it was almost yummy! Kind of fizzy like soda and it tasted a little like orange maybe? It is difficult to describe the taste, but it wasn't bad at all.
Yeah, I ENJOYED it. There is an orange flavor, but it contains lactose, so I go with cranberry. It's the only product I've used in 4 colonoscopies and soon an ileoscopy.

hawkeye

Staff member
You guys need to ask for cranberry pico-salax http://www.pico-salax.ca/ The stuff tastes like TANG! LOL It's the best part of a colon prep.
I tried this for my last prep and found that it had the best flavour compared with the orange pico salax or lemon flavoured magnesium citrate.

I had a hard time tracking it down though, called almost every pharmacy in the City and all they had was the orange flavour. Managed to find the cranberry flavour at the local Costco pharmacy.

Last edited:
I,m guessing movi-prep is called something else abroad it's easily the most vile concoction
Ever invented I would sooner drink cat pee!

Pico-salax is called Prepopik in the US - I did it for my last prep. I don't believe there was an option for flavors, but it tasted fine - it was almost yummy! Kind of fizzy like soda and it tasted a little like orange maybe? It is difficult to describe the taste, but it wasn't bad at all. Prepopik or the Gatorade + Miralax prep seem to be some of the most palatable ones.
:hug::wine::allright::dance:

Never heard of this stuff. I'm not scheduled for another for two years, but I will have to keep it in mind.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
jwfoise, you may have to ask specifically for Prepopik - it's been around in Canada and the UK for awhile but it was just approved by the FDA maybe a year or two ago here. Not many doctors know about it and not many pharmacies carry it. I had read about it on the forum and it sounded better than most preps, so I asked my GI for it and then my pharmacy had to special-order it for me. Hopefully it'll become better-known and easier to get here in the US as time goes on.

Trysha

Staff member
The use of Picosalix is not advisable for anyone with renal failure or renal issues .
I discovered this very recently when my GI insisted on Peglyte prep,
(absolutely horrible).
It was a surprise to me that he would not allow Picosalix since my previous GI prescribed it.

Trysha

Staff member
The following reference is a good article

Bowel preparation before colonoscopy: get it right first ... - BMJ

group.bmj.com/group/affinity-and-society.../Satellite%20Sat21.pdf‎
such as inflammatory bowel disease and colonic polyps, and is fundamental to .... ing key medical societies, including the Renal Association, the. British Society ...
[PDF]

The following reference is a good article

Bowel preparation before colonoscopy: get it right first ... - BMJ

group.bmj.com/group/affinity-and-society.../Satellite%20Sat21.pdf‎
such as inflammatory bowel disease and colonic polyps, and is fundamental to .... ing key medical societies, including the Renal Association, the. British Society ...
[PDF]

Hmmm... under "absolute contradictions" it lists ileostomy, yet I've been given instructions from GI to do a prep using pico-salax for my upcoming ileoscopy . :shifty-t:

You know, I'm going to have my GI confirm again if this is required for my ileoscopy. the manufacturer's information is all about colon, colon, colon... even how the product works is by affecting what happens in the colon, so I don't think this is necessary (or safe) for people with an ileostomy. thanks for bringing this up.

That sounds like the prep I had to do! 8oz every 10 minutes until half was gone and then a few hours later I had to do that again until I finished it. Literally I chugged the 8oz and chased it with orange Gatorade. I didn't even give myself time to taste or smell it... It was still HORRIBLE though. I'm not looking forward to doing that again. YUCK!