• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Death Gas. This could be humorous, but who knows...

Ok I am on day 6ish of the most deadly gas you can ever imagine. It burns coming out and literally will make an entire room smell like a dead body for an extended period of time. So what is going on? Here's the deal I get it I get it if you eat something that is a trigger you may have gas, FOR A FEW HOURS or a day or TWO EVEN, but what is with this long. I do seem to be a little constipated. I am going in small amounts each day, but am definitely bloated. I keep trying coffee. I am taking my probiotic. I had this problem years back, but haven't had it since. I can't figure out a trigger. Then I realized very creamy and thick dairy dose it, but I had it often regardless. Meats, lettuce type things, and creamy dairy, and definitely beans are a trigger. Admittedly I had seven layer dip with about all of those things at a party on Saturday. I had been feeling pretty good so I figured I would give it a shot. Can it really be lingering this many days later.?

Does anyone else have this problem. It is a SERIOUS inconvenience at work. I have to try and run outside etc. In bed with my fiance I feel terrible. I feel I need to get it out, but this is seriously cruel.

Also in an attempt for some self-care I have a massage scheduled for tomorrow am and am considering I may have to cancel it because if I relax and this happens it will not be relaxing at all. :(

If I,ve got the constipated version of crohns for a while I feel bloated and have wind in the willows my practice nurse suggested taking a small piece of a trigger food(melon)to get things going.i got the logic of it helped and avoided more tablets.peppermint helps with wind and a really old one is a piece of burnt toast the carbon soaks up the gas (I kid you not).good luck

Hi, sometimes if there is active cd or inflammation carbohydrates and sugar can cause this. Fruit juice, soda and things that are not breaking down fast but need more aid in digestion can cause bloating and wind. Ask your Dr. if you can take simethicon (gas x). It might help.

Hope you feel better soon.

I don't drink fruit juice or soda but considering holidays are starting at trader
Joes we have been eating pastries and cookies etc. As well as I've been I to the Halloween candy a bit but this usually won't last this long! :/

Breads, pastries and cookies are def carbs. If they are passing through too quick but getting to the large bowel slightly undigested and not broken down they cause wind/bloating and the smell. The smell is caused by undigested food basically.
T.Joes is one of my favorite places!! I could totally see how this would be super difficult having to work while this is happening. It is always so crowded and busy. I am a huge fan of their carrot, zucchini breads!! I could eat it til I spray it out my nose (kidding).

Hope this lets up soon for you!

I have definitely gotten this before and to get rid of it I find out what the trigger food was. I was getting into eating alot of seaweed day to day and I thought my stomach could handle it every day but I was wrong. It almost feels as if your farts are acidic, lol.I minimized it and then cut it out until I was better ( which was about a day or two). I now know that I can only eat seaweed in moderation but I can enjoy it time to time( about 1 day a week.

I would recommend going through and start eating things that you know doesn't cause this or reevaluate what you ate the day or a few days before this started occurring. It doesn't always occur from eating acidic foods but I do recommend stopping the coffee or at least minimizing it. People with gastro problems really shouldn't be consuming that.

I hope that everything starts to settle down!

I have definitely gotten this before and to get rid of it I find out what the trigger food was. I was getting into eating alot of seaweed day to day and I thought my stomach could handle it every day but I was wrong. It almost feels as if your farts are acidic, lol.I minimized it and then cut it out until I was better ( which was about a day or two). I now know that I can only eat seaweed in moderation but I can enjoy it time to time( about 1 day a week.

I would recommend going through and start eating things that you know doesn't cause this or reevaluate what you ate the day or a few days before this started occurring. It doesn't always occur from eating acidic foods but I do recommend stopping the coffee or at least minimizing it. People with gastro problems really shouldn't be consuming that.

I hope that everything starts to settle down!
Thanks,

ya know I was eating too much at once I think to tell. I did have 7 layer taco dip, all 7 layers probably offensive. I had them last Saturday and it has taken me until today to clear out my system.

I also am trying to get some kind of veggies and fruits in my diet and did have a couple of Kale smoothies. Those veggies tend to disagree with me fiercely, BUT I was thinking totally ground up in a smoothie would be good for me. I am tryign to get nutrition from somewhere! UGH. I don't know whether it is gluten offending, or fruits and veggies, adn basically I am just so fed up I don't know what to eat anymore. :(

I think the problem was it had been so long since I had been enjoying food that I went crazy when I could eat again. I have been doing better on the entocort, and guess I got overconfident.

Don't worry we all go through that! I have been so guilty of that before and I was so angry with myself because I knew it was going to make me sick. Something that I like to do is have a plan when you are in that situation so you do have something to eat that you know won't affect you in an adverse way.

Thanks,

ya know I was eating too much at once I think to tell. I did have 7 layer taco dip, all 7 layers probably offensive. I had them last Saturday and it has taken me until today to clear out my system.

I also am trying to get some kind of veggies and fruits in my diet and did have a couple of Kale smoothies. Those veggies tend to disagree with me fiercely, BUT I was thinking totally ground up in a smoothie would be good for me. I am tryign to get nutrition from somewhere! UGH. I don't know whether it is gluten offending, or fruits and veggies, adn basically I am just so fed up I don't know what to eat anymore. :(
It is always good to start simple and you can work your way up! I know it is really hard when you see something really good and you have that constant thought in your mind saying, " don't worry nothing will happen", but you know something might. Try to stock up on things you know do not hurt your stomach. I am very guilty of eating for my tastebuds instead of for the good of my stomach. Try to think about that before. It has really helped me. I still do struggle with eating things that are good for me instead of taste good today but with perseverance I have gotten to a better point and have been able to add even more foods to my diet without adverse affects!

PsychoJane

I'm not sure this will be of any help but there are two things I have notice regarding the "increased" smell.
- First is, if my disease is active, it can be pretty terrible. Once I get on antibiotics, the smell vanishes completely (normal, bacteria are not there to act as they should).
-The smell disappear when I travel foreign country were processed food are not too available (Cuba - Morrocco). The more natural, the less modify the food is the best it seems to be on that aspect. I mean, Subway is the worst of all my trigger.... I could do the same sandwich home and never would get the foul smell so I don't know what additive they put in... I'm guessing it might not be the best for us...
The more vegetarian I eat, the best it is on that aspect. Maybe it has to do with excess of hormones and stuff in our actual food?

If your desperate for veggies you can,t beat homemade soup well cooked or blended use stock cubes there harmless,watched a programme on how there made so simple and natural no additives.i get desperate for veggies and my kingdom for a salad with loads of coleslaw not gonna happen 20 plus visits to the loo,don,t think so.good luck

I wonder if it is not actually related to food at all. I get different kind of gas symptoms - the gas stays inside me, but I can feel the bubbles moving through my intestines, making them cramp. But for me this has nothing to do with what I've eaten, though sometimes the act of eating itself - not a particular food, just the fact that my digestive system is having to work - seems to set it off.

It's natural to try to link digestive symptoms to what we've eaten, but I've found that when many many foods appear to be triggers, it probably means it's not the foods at all.